Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground

Post  eddie on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:07 pm

^^

Ha ha. Thanks for the links, moony.

I think the time factor is what is going to determine the 'ELF KING' content. I've emailed Ackroyd's publishers Random House, asking for a more reasonable offer, but the integrated Word & Text disk ought to be ready for my approval early next week and if RH haven't responded by then, the quote's out. There simply won't be time to get permission for use of the manhole photo. Tra la la. Happy days.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Re: Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground

Post  eddie on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:01 am

Ackroyd quote Permissions Licence arrived from Random House Publishing Group this morning. That has to be the last, thank goodness, because at this late stage there simply won't be time to process any more.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:22 am

It's all about to happen

I updated my operating system, so that I am now kindle-enabled. study

What the pub needs is BUZZ--CONTROVERSY.

There must be internet fora that discuss new literary works.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:19 pm

New IT boffin is mailing the integrated Text & Illustrations Word disk for final approval. Hopefully, that should arrive before the weekend. I know I have to add a couple of acknowledgements etc. to it. An hour's work. Then I mail it back to him and he re-formats it for Kindle. With luck, book should be out by the end of the month. But I've learned that, once you've done everything you physically can, these things are in the lap of the gods.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:18 am

Hi eddie. Hope everything's falling neatly into place?

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:56 am

blue moon wrote:Hi eddie. Hope everything's falling neatly into place?

New IT boffin's partner is about 3 weeks away from giving birth. He obviously has other priorities at this stage. That aside, all is well.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:30 am

eddie wrote:
blue moon wrote:Hi eddie. Hope everything's falling neatly into place?

New IT boffin's partner is about 3 weeks away from giving birth. He obviously has other priorities at this stage. That aside, all is well.
Yes eddie...but the boffin's wife is only giving birth to a baby, and her doctor will see her through that'On the other hand, the boffin is responsible for the delivery of your book. Don't see that the priority is obvious.

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:53 am

Curious that the long, involved saga of the publication of this book should, thus far, have involved one death and one imminent birth. I interpret this sequence of events hopefully- as a kind of imprimatur of cosmic approval.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:14 pm

eddie wrote:Curious that the long, involved saga of the publication of this book should, thus far, have involved one death and one imminent birth. I interpret this sequence of events hopefully- as a kind of imprimatur of cosmic approval.
Hmmm...the other companion to birth and death is marriage.

Hey eddie.
You're detoxing? I'm about to do the same. I start in the morning. I've signed on for 10 weeks at sea. The season starts on the 1st of April and I'm very under-par at the moment....hopefully there's enough time to undo the neglect of the last 6 months and the damage to my hands wrought by the refit (it was much harder this year). I picked up some nasty, fever-inducing, parasitic, belly-aching thing in Port Moresby that I need to get under control as well.

Ah...the litany of ailments!
Oh, the hope of a quick cure!

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:51 pm

10 weeks at sea ought to blow away the cobwebs, but I'd have a medical check before weighing anchor.

Idleness is bad for me because I start self-medicating out of sheer boredom. February was a very frustrating month: publication delayed, and absolutely nothing I can do about it- the IT skills required are way beyond my competence. Wholly reliant at this stage on the skills of others, I'm still waiting for news from the technical front. Ho hum.

Decided to turn over a new leaf on 1st March, but my body is protesting about the sudden withdrawal of its medication, and my mind insists on replaying unpleasant/embarrassing episodes from the past and magnifying them out of all proportion.

^ Hmmm. Idea Might be another book in there somewhere.

Last edited by eddie on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:17 pm

The real way to start is to be open to experimenting or playing with the possibility of noticing what you’re experiencing in this moment and not to try to feel differently.

Mindfulness is not about getting anywhere else — it’s about being where you are and knowing it. We are talking about awareness itself: a whole repertoire of ways of knowing that virtually all come through the senses.

My working definition of mindfulness is the awareness that arises through paying attention on purpose in the present moment — non-judgmentally. And the non-judgmental part is the kicker, because we’ve got ideas and opinions about virtually everything. Our consciousness is almost always colored by our likes and dislikes. All highly conditioned, habitual behaviors really comes down to this: do I like it or not, do I want more or do I want to escape? That’s all going on below the surface of awareness and it runs our lives.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  usеro on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 am

Something like this?

The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

~ Rumi ~

(The Essential Rumi, versions by Coleman Barks)

usеro

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:36 am

A landmark day on the long, long road to publication. Received the MASTER doc by email this morning, and spent 8-9 hours proofreading, adjusting etc. Just sent it back to the technies for reformatting for Amazon Kindle. Goodness knows how long that will take, but at least I'm now certain that my role is over and it's COMPLETELY out of my hands. Down to the offie for some celebratory wine. Also got to buy a new kettle, which has broken down under the strain of keeping me supplied with caffeine.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:21 am

eddie wrote:Down to the offie for some celebratory wine.
I propose that the rest of us all do the same as a gesture of solidarity cheers drunken

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:30 am

I'm all for solidarity...but my neighbour drank the bottle of red yesterday and it's 2am so no hope of anything alcoholic now.
I'm going to have caffeine eddie. In your honour, a big mugfull, for all the sleepless nights and rattling nerves you've endured.

I'm so glad the techno stuff is done. Congratulations.
We have to find a strategy now to help advertise your work...any suggestions anyone?

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:15 am

blue moon wrote: ... it's 2am so no hope of anything alcoholic now.
Here it's 11:15 am, and it's a snow day--Gub'mint shut down without sequester or furlough.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:25 am

blue moon wrote:We have to find a strategy now to help advertise your work...any suggestions anyone?
I think the key is media buzz and controversy, but I'm not sure how it's generated. As Eddie said, the best thing that could happen would be for the LU to take him to court, but of course they wouldn't knowingly do anything to draw attention to the publication.

Maybe we should start a petition to have Eddie censored. pirat

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:42 am

www.ipetitions.com What a Face

"Citizens of London--put a stop to defamation of the London Underground!"

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:10 am

^

Laughing Laughing Laughing

You guys slay me.

I have a gleaming new cordless stainless steel kettle.

The only cloud on the horizon is that all the springtime balcony gardening I was going to do today flew right out of the window when I opened my email at 6am. First thing tomorrow, it's over to the park across the road to nick some pebbles & gravel for drainage purposes.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:20 am

The IT department of this international multi-media organisation tells me that the reformatting for Amazon Kindle ought to be finished by Thursday. Will next week see publication at long last, after so many trials and tribulations? Let's hope so. How much more frustration can the writer handle?

^ Distressed author, struggling.

Last edited by eddie on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:10 pm

This means it's time to get my anti-Eddie rant ready for the campaign to ban Eddie.

I will be unable to contain my self-righteous indignation.

I expect that the ATU community will either back me up vigorously--or else denounce me vigorously. In fact there really should be two teams to do both. geek

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:18 pm

How's this for a first draft? Too wimpy? Suggestions to beef it up are solicited:

"As an American who has used the London Underground a good many of times, I purchased Ed O'Regan's memoir of his 12 years' in the London Underground expecting to learn more about the interesting history and background of the system."

"Instead I found a work which, the author's literary talent notwithstanding, crosses the line between satire and slander, and I would even say that "libelous" is not too strong a word."

"The London Underground, like all transportation systems, is no doubt flawed. But no reasonable person would compare it to Dante's inferno as Mr. O'Regan does repeatedly, drawing parallel after parallel."

"In my own experiences with the London Underground I never once encountered Charon the ferryman of Hades, and if any of the sex acts that Mr. O'Regan witnessed were in progress while I was riding, I missed them somehow."

"In conclusion, this book, as entertaining as it would no doubt be to many readers, is probable grounds for a libel suit, and it must be denounced and boycotted--if not banned outright."

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:09 pm

^ Just the ticket!

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:52 am

what does the author do to "turnstile-jumpers" in the tubeways? Force them to read The Proletariat as Subject and as Representation?

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:38 pm

user wrote:[what does the author do to "turnstile-jumpers" in the tubeways? Force them to read The Proletariat as Subject and as Representation?

If only...No, I'm afraid the London Underground staff's deadliest weapon against fare dodgers is sarcasm.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:20 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top