all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground

+5
Constance
Nah Ville Sky Chick
blue moon
this and that
eddie
9 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground  - Page 5 Empty Re: Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground

Post  eddie Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:53 am

Curious that the long, involved saga of the publication of this book should, thus far, have involved one death and one imminent birth. I interpret this sequence of events hopefully- as a kind of imprimatur of cosmic approval.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground  - Page 5 Empty Re: Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground

Post  blue moon Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:14 pm

eddie wrote:Curious that the long, involved saga of the publication of this book should, thus far, have involved one death and one imminent birth. I interpret this sequence of events hopefully- as a kind of imprimatur of cosmic approval.
Hmmm...the other companion to birth and death is marriage.

Hey eddie.
You're detoxing? I'm about to do the same. I start in the morning. I've signed on for 10 weeks at sea. The season starts on the 1st of April and I'm very under-par at the moment....hopefully there's enough time to undo the neglect of the last 6 months and the damage to my hands wrought by the refit (it was much harder this year). I picked up some nasty, fever-inducing, parasitic, belly-aching thing in Port Moresby that I need to get under control as well.

Ah...the litany of ailments!
Oh, the hope of a quick cure!
blue moon
blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:51 pm

10 weeks at sea ought to blow away the cobwebs, but I'd have a medical check before weighing anchor.

Idleness is bad for me because I start self-medicating out of sheer boredom. Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground  - Page 5 1848667513 February was a very frustrating month: publication delayed, and absolutely nothing I can do about it- the IT skills required are way beyond my competence. Wholly reliant at this stage on the skills of others, I'm still waiting for news from the technical front. Ho hum. Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground  - Page 5 3685654045

Decided to turn over a new leaf on 1st March, but my body is protesting about the sudden withdrawal of its medication, and my mind insists on replaying unpleasant/embarrassing episodes from the past and magnifying them out of all proportion. Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground  - Page 5 90771731

^ Hmmm. Idea Might be another book in there somewhere.

Last edited by eddie on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  usеro Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 am

Something like this?

The Guest House

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

~ Rumi ~

(The Essential Rumi, versions by Coleman Barks)

usеro
usеro

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:36 am

A landmark day on the long, long road to publication. Received the MASTER doc by email this morning, and spent 8-9 hours proofreading, adjusting etc. Just sent it back to the technies for reformatting for Amazon Kindle. Goodness knows how long that will take, but at least I'm now certain that my role is over and it's COMPLETELY out of my hands. Down to the offie for some celebratory wine. Also got to buy a new kettle, which has broken down under the strain of keeping me supplied with caffeine.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:30 am

I'm all for solidarity...but my neighbour drank the bottle of red yesterday and it's 2am so no hope of anything alcoholic now.
I'm going to have caffeine eddie. In your honour, a big mugfull, for all the sleepless nights and rattling nerves you've endured.

I'm so glad the techno stuff is done. Congratulations.
We have to find a strategy now to help advertise your work...any suggestions anyone?
blue moon
blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:10 am

^

Laughing Laughing Laughing

You guys slay me.

I have a gleaming new cordless stainless steel kettle.

The only cloud on the horizon is that all the springtime balcony gardening I was going to do today flew right out of the window when I opened my email at 6am. First thing tomorrow, it's over to the park across the road to nick some pebbles & gravel for drainage purposes.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:20 am

The IT department of this international multi-media organisation tells me that the reformatting for Amazon Kindle ought to be finished by Thursday. Will next week see publication at long last, after so many trials and tribulations? Let's hope so. How much more frustration can the writer handle?

Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground  - Page 5 525195_167453730085272_2088127862_n
^ Distressed author, struggling.

Last edited by eddie on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:09 pm

^ Just the ticket! Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground  - Page 5 4242210477 Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground  - Page 5 1295889145
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:38 pm

user wrote:[what does the author do to "turnstile-jumpers" in the tubeways? Force them to read The Proletariat as Subject and as Representation?

If only...No, I'm afraid the London Underground staff's deadliest weapon against fare dodgers is sarcasm.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Thu May 02, 2013 5:12 pm

Could be a VERY IMPORTANT EVENT this weekend in the world of online publishing...!

eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Thu May 02, 2013 11:58 pm

QUOTE: "I wish I never signed the nondisclosing pledge..."

My lips were sealed by my contract of employment. I no longer work for them, so that's OK, then.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Thu May 09, 2013 4:32 am

When can Tom and I read the finished version?
Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Thu May 09, 2013 9:32 am

Hi, Constance. UK publication any day now. Reformatting complete. Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing account opened. Just waiting for the upload. Worldwide publication will take longer because of the copyright issues described earlier in this thread, but I'll try to post you a typescript of the something-like-final draft.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Thu May 09, 2013 10:48 pm

What wonderful news! Thats so exciting. You deserve a huge success and I wish the book all the best of luck.

Looking forward to reading the finished version.

Keep us posted on all the details!
Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sat May 11, 2013 4:51 am

Almost there...Text of my LU memoir "The Well of Shadows: Underground London" is up and running on Amazon Kindle UK, but still ironing out a glitch with the illustrations. Ho hum. Par for the course, really. Hope to get this sorted tonight. Price is £8.04.

Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground  - Page 5 51E8CeYR4jL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-52,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_
The Well of Shadows: Underground London [Kindle Edition]
Ed O'Regan

eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sat May 11, 2013 6:08 am

Updating now. Hopefully, the illustrated version should be available tomorrow morning.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Sat May 11, 2013 6:27 am

Congratulations! May 10th is an important day now in the publishing world. can't wait to hear all that happens next.
Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sat May 11, 2013 9:04 am

Constance wrote:can't wait to hear all that happens next.

Thank you, dear Constance, you're very kind.

What hopefully happens in the immediate future is that I wake tomorrow morning, check my own Kindle device and find that the book looks something like I would wish it to look. I've already checked the text; it's all there and it's fine.

All being well, I then have to start writing & emailing those who have expressed an interest to inform them that it's finally 'out there'. Only one thing's certain: it'll be 60 days before the first royalty payment!
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sat May 11, 2013 4:40 pm

Saturday morning. Just checked and yes, the complete version of 'The Well of Shadows: Underground London' by Ed O''Regan (Text & Illustrations) is now available for download from Amazon.co.uk. If you don't have a portable Kindle device, you can download a Kindle reader from the site onto your pc or an app onto your smartphone (Android etc). Price of the book is £8.04, if you're interested. Thank you for your patience over the long, gruelling months it's taken to get this project flying at last. xxx
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sun May 12, 2013 4:17 pm

Any advice about Twitter? How does it work? How do I sign up? Being a grouchy middle-aged technophobe, I had to be dragged kicking & screaming into the wonderful world of Facebook, but now that I'm faced with the daunting prospect of publicising a book, it occurs to me that Twitter might be a useful tool. A former student's emailed to say she's had a couple of "tweets"? from anonymous (to me)Tube workers about it- and I must say that's pretty impressive evidence that the bloody thing actually works.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Tue May 14, 2013 6:42 pm

Opened a Twitter account @edoregan, much against my better judgement, and have amassed the pitiful number of 6 "followers"- or "disciples", as I like to call them. Serves me right.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Tue May 14, 2013 6:49 pm

Had a really nice review by txt from a former colleague today who'd bought and read the book. Txtd back: "For God's sake! Write a 5-star review on the Amazon book page! Don't tell me!"

Already picked up one 5-star review there, but the more the merrier.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  capitán poo Tue May 14, 2013 10:02 pm

disciples Laughing
the end of twitter as we know it

I see now they are 9
maybe you could add a background different than that twitter clouds to make it more eye catching.
If I can help with it I know a bit of photoshop

capitán poo
capitán poo

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Wed May 15, 2013 2:53 am

9! I'll be changing water into wine next!
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next