Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground

Post  pinhedz on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:54 am

just drive wrote:
pinhedz wrote:I might add that the Soviets never provided the masses with decent housing or automobiles. The Moscow metro system was one of their greatest sources of pride (along with tsarist-era literature, art and architecture).
pinz. Does it still look like that, or are they photos from another era? I can't imagine any form of mass transport without graffiti.
For me, it's hard to imagine "graffiti" and "Moscow Metro" in the same sentence--to Russians that's like "sledge hammer" and "Pieta" in the same sentence. Shocked

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground

Post  this and that on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:17 am

but why would soviets want it to "resemble tsarist-era palaces"? scratch

Last edited by el aliencito on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar :silent:)

this and that

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:29 am

el aliencito wrote:but why do soviets would want it to "resemble tsarist-era palaces"? scratch

I think it was the grandeur and prestige of the ancien regime they were attempting to emulate, but if you study Pinz's pix carefully, you'll notice that 'heroic' proletarian artwork has been grafted on to the basic Tsarist architectural template.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:40 am

eddie wrote:
el aliencito wrote:but why do soviets would want it to "resemble tsarist-era palaces"? scratch

I think it was the grandeur and prestige of the ancien regime they were attempting to emulate, but if you study Pinz's pix carefully, you'll notice that 'heroic' proletarian artwork has been grafted on to the basic Tsarist architectural template.
Sort of like the way Christianity tried to convert pagan fertility celebrations into "Easter." Razz

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:49 am

If you tried marking this up, the remainder of your life in the far-eastern Gulag would be very short.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:13 pm

eddie wrote: ... Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
Ah--page 132 rabbit

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:08 pm

pinhedz wrote:Ah--page 132 rabbit

You've reached p.132? Surprised Well, that's encouraging. cheers

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Pinhedz capsule review is that he was fully engaged from beginning to end, and there were a good many discharges of electrical signals between poles in his head while reading, and also some new factual information learned, some of which plausibly might be retained.

The pinhed also notes that his last ride on the LU (which was about the time Eddie went to work there) was uneventful and the pinhead was blase about it at the time, but there will no doubt be many more thoughts running through his head if he rides it again.

And here it will be seen that some poor devil of a sub-sub has noted down his impressions, whether sacred or profane, as affording a glancing bird's eye view of what was promiscuously said, thought, or fancied while reading the MS:

… the pinhed thought of Herman Melville, who worked as a customs inspector for 20 years (not his favorite job … economic necessity--he had no choice) … the pinhed noted that the instructor for the rookie LU recruits was named "Mr. Charon," and suspects literary license … notices the place name "Clacton," which the pinhead knows just suffered flooding (proof--Felix posted a vid) ...

… station ambience: the author's suggestions all seem like good ones (Mrs. pinz, who takes metro into DC every day, agrees) … at one time Santa was green--can this be true? Must look into that … the Lorentz transformation tells us that time can be made to stop--almost--if two frames of reference are moving away from each other fast enough … no frame of reference is stationary in the absolute sense …

… the pinhed recalls the movie "Waiting" (which he watched in a hotel last month) … it depicts the behind-the-scenes frustrations and shenanigans of the wait staff at a busy restaurant (a movie with a message--don't tic off the waiter). …

… a week or so ago a woman on a DC metro platform pushed a man in front of a train and he was killed. He was hindu, but she pushed him for looking muslim. She said she had had a bad day, she thought it would be "neat," and she doesn't like Hindus, either … On the news this morning was a surveillance video of a woman fainting and falling onto the tracks … a staff member pulled her out in front of an approaching train … which also came to a stop in time. ...

… the pinhed recalls some long-forgotten misconduct. At the age of 12 he and his best buddy made a lifelike dummy and pretended to be beating it up on a high bridge as cars were driving by, and then threw it over the railing. No cars stopped until the third throw, which made one driver stop. He rushed over to the railing and looked over, and then asked "Is that a dummy?" pinhedz answered in the affirmative, while his buddy asked "How did you like it?" …

… economic necessity … I had no choice … political correctness … how does contact with the masses affect one's politics? one's idealism? … there are good managers--but is management good for them? Might the good ones actually enjoy it? or is it always just the money … the color(s) of London's moths are taught in college biology and geology classes (pinhedz remember such things) …

… the full moon, gravity's pull on water, and the tides … ex-Scottish-sailor Johnny Mac once pronounced the pinhead and ignoramus … the phase of the moon does not affect the moon's gravitational pull, but it tells us the location of the sun in relation to the moon, which tells us the sun's gravitational pull is either aligned with the moon's--or aligned against it. ...

… driving on the left side of the road … why would anyone do that? The DC Metro has stations named "Farragut North" and Farragut West," which are located within a few blocks of each other, even though they aren't on the same line. ...

… doctors seem to ignore this (even though it is well known): with age, blood pressure becomes a function of room temperature … blood pressure measured at 90 degrees will be much lower than the same person's blood pressure at 70 degrees because of the way older people regulate body temperature. … all of the dietary components that have been blamed for declining health--salt, sugar, cholesterol, carbohydrates, fat--are essential for life … there are only two absolutes: smoking--bad; exercise--good. ...

… Downbound train by Chuck Berry, … and another one (not Chuck Berry): "Where are you taking us? I don't know, I'm just following the tracks" … motion is relative, every frame of reference is in motion relative to the others … to the passengers, the station is dropping away behind them. … the grandparents are all gone, the parents are half gone, and next comes our turn …

... three small foxes, we're seeing more and more of them … more and more deer, two, but so far no bears this side of Manassas.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:50 pm

^ I'm very grateful for your impressions, Pinz. I've printed them out for further study.

Melville gets a mention in the opening 'A Season in Hell' chapter.

Yes, Mr Charon is one of many names which have had to be changed to protect the guilty and keep me out of the libel courts.

Santa was originally a Falstaffian variant on the folklore figure of the Green Man. As far as I know, it was the Coca Cola company that endowed him with a red-and-white suit to match their logo.

I well remember the Johnny Mac lunar thread, which might well have been the original inspiration for the 'Lycanthropy' chapter. Evidence (from A&E nurses, nightclub doormen & LU staff) that the phase of the Moon affects client/customer behaviour is necessarily anecdotal, but no less convincing- to my moon-struck mind, at least- for all that.

I don't know how things stand in the US, but in the UK there is a general crisis of confidence in the motives and even the basic competence of middle management, a legacy of both the Thatcher and the Blair administrations. One could cite the MP's expenses scandal, the Murdoch newspapers' illegal phone hacking, the myriad crimes of the banking industry, police backhanders etc etc in support of this. I've known a few decent managers (as I think I concede in the book), but only a very few. I'm pretty sure that I also mention the painful consequences (to my generally lefty thinking) of the application of 'political correctness' to managerial appointments.

Thanks for the information about the link between blood pressure and temperature. In this bleak, snowbound January, I thank my lucky stars that I no longer have to drag myself in to work amid the Antarctic conditions of the Aldgate gateline any more. (Did you notice the shot of the Aldgate station entrance on 7/7 in the vid you posted)?

Publication day is about 3 weeks away, and still copyright issues are a nuisance. I've had to cut the Dylan and Rolling Stones lyrics because I'm not prepared to pay the kind of money they're demanding to reproduce short extracts from 40-year old lyrics. I also think I'm going to have to ditch a few prose quotations in favour of simple paraphrases. I can see this being a last-minute rush.

Once more, thank you for your engagement with the book, Pinz. Much appreciated.

Last edited by eddie on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:22 pm

eddie wrote:(Did you notice the shot of the Aldgate station entrance on 7/7 in the vid you posted)?
At 2:39, somehow I missed that the first time through.

I'm surprised that I never once thought of Anna Karenina (which I just saw), probably because it was so romanticized and unreal:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:43 pm

Crikey! I had no idea that Anna Karenina hung out at Wapping tube station:

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:50 am

Ms Just Driver and Tigerlily: If you're pm-ing Eddy instead of posting on the forum, please copy it here so the rest of us can see what you think.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:13 pm

pinhedz wrote:Ms Just Driver and Tigerlily: If you're pm-ing Eddy instead of posting on the forum, please copy it here so the rest of us can see what you think.

I'm certain Tigerlily would have no objection to my reproducing the PM I received on ER:

"Yesterday I had 45 minutes of uninterrupted time to devote to reading (a luxury on a Saturday!) and am on page 24 Really enjoying the book!

I'm glad you have included the glossary of terms. Your readers in the UK will, I'm sure, be more familiar with alot of the place references, and I'm thinking that your initial Kindle release in only the UK will translate into big sales, which will help you in the long run with a wider distribution.

This is good stuff Ed, and you should be proud..."

Ms Just Driver is probably on the high seas by now in her prawn trawler, but she assures me that she has her copy of the ms carefully stashed in a plastic bag.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Good thing she has a plastic bag. Does she know about the tidal wave? silent

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:42 pm

pinhedz wrote:Good thing she has a plastic bag. Does she know about the tidal wave? silent

Ms Just Driver wrestles crocodiles. She laughs in the face of tidal waves.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerlily on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:37 pm

I am on page 124 now !! Very Happy

Because I work at a public library, I find myself totally relating to your dealings with the customers, it's like a universal truth.....and you describe it so well....the sad, the funny, the scarey, the crazy....

It is so interesting to learn about this tight, contained world of the LU, where there are rules and procedures for everything....and the ridiculousness of some of them.

We here at ATU (and at ER) have known for years what a fine writer Eddie is. IMO his fan base is going to be expanding very soon Cool

Thank you Eddie for sending me your book I love you flower

tigerlily
burning bright

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:17 am

^ Tigerlily, you're an absolute sweetheart. I love you We at ATU and ER have known that for some years. Smile

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:48 am

I Ching? Why not some druid horcrux warlock shit or at least paphlagonian sephirot...

I don't know if I mentioned that Book 6 of my forthcoming Doom Goose Cycle contains a cracking sequence set on the Jubilee line. The episode begins with Desmond Llewellyn anxiously riding the Jubilee to St. John Wood for a spat-waxing appointment necessitated by a looming guest spot on Antiques Roadshow Tadcaster-Pickering. En route, a Kenyan Witch Doctor, disguised as a Panel Beater, slips a tin of cursed marmalade into Desmond's collectible prawn pram...

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:19 am

^ Disquieting. I have a serious literary rival. Shocked

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:53 am

Driving to balalaika rehearsal this morning by way of Braddock Road, the pinhed could not help thinking of the LU.

-- "But pinhed, how could Braddock Road possibly make you think of the LU?" scratch

Well, it's like this: General Edward Braddock is known for his role in the so-called "French and Indian War," so-called because the French with their Native-Ameridan allies were fighting against the English for possession of the Ohio territory west of the English colonies (Braddock had a young lieutenant named George Washington).

Braddock's Army was ambushed by the enemy, who fought "Indian style" (which is to say, they used "cover" instead of marching in formation out in the open wearing bright red uniforms).

George Washington suggested:

-- "General, might it not be a reasonable idea for our side to take cover as well?"

Braddock declared that such conduct would be unseemly, unworthy, cowardly, un-English and not at all sporting. bounce Historians tell us that he even went after the Virginia militiamen that had taken cover spontaneously, and chased them out of the woods with his saber.

Call him a hero, but don't forget to call him an idiot as well (there is some speculation that he may have been shot by a Virginia militiaman):

Flash forward 200 years. Eddie informs us that Londoners who took cover in the LU during bombing raids were also accused of unworthy, unsportsmanslike conduct. They should have been out on the street defiantly shaking their fists at the dastardly enemy bombers. bounce

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:01 am

pinhedz wrote:Eddie informs us that Londoners who took cover in the LU during bombing raids were also accused of unworthy, unsportsmanslike conduct. They should have been out on the street defiantly shaking their fists at the dastardly enemy bombers. bounce

That was, indeed, the official position when German bombing raids on London first began. Eventually, common sense prevailed.

Not all British initiatives during WWII were good ideas. At one point, Churchill floated a scheme for arming the Home Guard (a kind of domestic militia) with pikes.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  u on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:28 am

Last edited by Bot Walker on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total

u

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:24 am

Dig that crazy german pelirrojo...

Last edited by Woo on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:01 am

I see that there are a numbers of websites that discuss new literary works. I don't what it takes it to create a "buzz," but around the publication date we should see what we can do to create a BUZZZ.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:54 am

pinhedz wrote:I see that there are a numbers of websites that discuss new literary works. I don't what it takes it to create a "buzz," but around the publication date we should see what we can do to create a BUZZZ.

I've sent pre-publicity material to passenger pressure groups, the London Mayor's office, LU's in-house magazine 'On the Move' (carefully edited, that one), The Guardian, the Independent, Private Eye, the London Review of Books, Granta, family, friends, former colleagues, ER and Facebook. The other literary websites will take a bit of research. It also ought to be worthwhile sending a reminder to agents/publishers in the trad publishing industry who rejected the sample chapters I'd sent them first time around.

Right now, the actual publication is the priority. It's going to be frantic getting it 'out there' by Feb 14th. This will go right down to the wire.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:43 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top