Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground

Post  eddie on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:31 pm

blue moon wrote:
pinhedz wrote:... would you accept a compilation CD of Svetlana's best bootlegs?
...fancy a crocodile-claw back-scratcher? Very Happy

^
affraid

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Re: Publishing date etc for 'The Well of Shadows', my memoirs of the London Underground

Post  pinhedz on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:56 am

eddie wrote:I've long been intrigued by the hold this woman has over you, the precise nature of which I blush to contemplate.
Svetlana is not a "submissive" type, she's more of a "take-charge" type (you sort of have to do things her way Embarassed ).

As a music student in Russia, Svetlana had to listen to professors saying things like: "You can't major in conducting because you're a girl!" bounce

I wonder how those poor fools looked with their head bit off. affraid

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:28 pm

eddie wrote:Payment won't be necessary, moony. All you'll be getting, at this stage, is a tatty, dog-eared photocopy of the ms. You're more than welcome to spend money on the real thing when it gets a worldwide publication. If you're interested, PM your postal address. x
eddie...I checked my postal box after work today and there was a blue slip in it notifying me there's a package to pick up...I think it must be from you Shocked

cheers cheers cheers

I have to wait now until the P.O. opens on Monday to collect it from the counter.

Excellent timing. I'm about to go to PNG again...I'm going to restrain from opening and reading until I'm at sea with plenty of time and my attention intact and undivided. (Please god let me be strong enough to wait.)

I'm so excited.

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:39 pm

cyber contact wrote:I'm so excited.

Good to know that the global postal service is still functioning. Pinz & Tigerlily received their copies, too.

Bear in mind, though, that you won't be reading the final draft, but a photocopy of an intermediate phase of composition. I think there's enough there to give you a general idea.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:46 pm

eddie wrote:
cyber contact wrote:I'm so excited.
I think there's enough there to give you a general idea.

I'll let you know, eddie. Thanks so much for this. It's made my week.

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:44 am

just drive wrote:I'm so excited ... It's made my week.
I'm well into it, you're in for a treat. What a Face

It's getting me into the spirit of the 150th anniversary:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:36 am

^

Thanks for posting the vid, Pinz.

The description of the vapour & ash of the early steam days reminded me that back then LU- in its own inimitable manner, unchanged in 150 years- turned the situation to its advantage by promoting a journey on the Tube as a surefire remedy for asthma and other chest ailments! Today's ad-men are babes in arms compared to the Victorian entrepreneurs.

On a similar theme, I'd sent some pre-publicity for the book to the London's mayor's office, suggesting that working on the London Underground network was hell on earth- and ever since I've been bombarded with emails telling me what a great job they're doing with the Tube. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:46 am

eddie wrote:On a similar theme, I'd sent some pre-publicity for the book to the London's mayor's office, suggesting that working on the London Underground network was hell on earth- and ever since I've been bombarded with emails telling me what a great job they're doing with the Tube. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
I was just thinking that--particularly in this jubilee year--the best kind of publicity would be righteous indignation and angry rebuttals from LU officials, if only you could get them to respond in the media, instead of by email.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:20 am

If I had the Mayor's email, I'd send him these pics and then say "Now show me yours." Razz

Stantsiya Mayakovskaya

Stantsiya Kievskaya

Stantsiya Komsomolskaya

Stantsiya Arbatskaya

I think the topic of "station ambience" is a very interesting one, and I would add that no metro system has done it better than Moscow's:

Last edited by pinhedz on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:28 am

Also, while I'm no expert on promoting literature, it seems to me that the media loves "Whistleblowers." study

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:49 pm

pinhedz wrote:I was just thinking that--particularly in this jubilee year--the best kind of publicity would be righteous indignation and angry rebuttals from LU officials, if only you could get them to respond in the media, instead of by email.

The best thing that could happen is that they attempt to sue me, or otherwise halt publication. First, I'm not worth sueing. Second, as you suggest, the David vs Goliath scenario would do wonders for sales.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:56 pm

pinhedz wrote:I think the topic of "station ambience" is a very interesting one, and I would add that no metro system has done it better than Moscow's

Yes, indeed. Shame about the slave labour.

Mind you, working conditions for an English Victorian-era bricklayer weren't much better. Several men died in the course of the construction of the Brunels' Wapping-Rotherhithe Thames tunnel. I think there's a mention in the book of my close encounter with the unquiet spirits of dead brickies on the 'dead early' shift at Wapping.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  this and that on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:27 pm

Last edited by this on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

this and that

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:40 pm

Oh eddie. Tied up with string in brown-paper wrapping. How...lovely. Thank you. I love you

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:47 am

just drive wrote:Oh eddie. Tied up with string in brown-paper wrapping. How...lovely. Thank you. I love you

These are a few of my favourite things.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  this and that on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:49 am

Last edited by this on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

this and that

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:58 am

el aliencito wrote:
pinhedz wrote:If I had the Mayor's email, I'd send him these pics and then say "Now show me yours." Razz
are you sure your pics aren't photoshopped? Shocked Those can't be stations... scratch
Moscow metro stations resemble tsarist-era palaces. But as Eddie noted, they are only possible with slave labor.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  this and that on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:02 am

here you can hear people say about the madrid metro, I don't remember exactly what it is, maybe that it is based in the London metro... and they mean it as a prestigious fact

this and that

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:04 am

I might add that the Soviets never provided the masses with decent housing or automobiles. The Moscow metro system was one of their greatest sources of pride (along with tsarist-era literature, art and architecture).

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:07 am

el aliencito wrote:so are you convinced now that eddie is not a teddy bear communicating its spirits fumes through the interwebs as you've been insistently telling me all this time?
No no otro. Eddie is this bear. It's in the story. It must be true.

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:09 am

pinhedz wrote:I might add that the Soviets never provided the masses with decent housing or automobiles. The Moscow metro system was one of their greatest sources of pride (along with tsarist-era literature, art and architecture).
pinz. Does it still look like that, or are they photos from another era? I can't imagine any form of mass transport without graffiti.

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  this and that on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:10 am

would you believe a story told and so distorted by a CO2 junkie?
-----
http://marknixon.com/photographs/muchloved/

this and that

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:18 am

el aliencito wrote:would you believe a story told and so distorted by a CO2 junkie?
-----
http://marknixon.com/photographs/muchloved/
What a cute site cheers

I think Louis and his story best suit eddie, what with the connection to trains:

Louis (42)
Belongs to Dara Ferguson

Louis has track marks
on him from falling off a train

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:44 am

el aliencito wrote:the madrid metro....is based in the London metro... and they mean it as a prestigious fact

<hollow laughter & hacking cough> Poor deluded fools. The London Underground was the world's first metro system...and many things wrong with it today stem from that simple fact.

The NY subway, for example, can run 24/7 because its architects learned from the elementary error of the London metro's design which didn't (and still doesn't) incorporate parallel tunnels to enable engineering work to take place without shutting the whole system down at night

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  this and that on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:07 am

as I don't remember exactly what sometimes I've heard I can't tell you what it is they relate to the London one (and don't know how trustful my blurred memory is)
(edit: just asked to someone who I thought had told me about that and it seems it was not so at all silent )

-----

https://mymzone.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/The-Great-Bear.png

http://acrosstheuniverse.forummotion.com/t700-alternative-london-tube-maps

Last edited by el aliencito on Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total

this and that

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:40 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top