all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help needed! Adopt a link to the old ATU site today!

+3
Lee Van Queef
sil
eddie
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Help needed! Adopt a link to the old ATU site today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Help needed! Adopt a link to the old ATU site today!

Post  Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:33 am

felix wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:why ?

Pinhedz has expressed the 'why' as well as it can be expressed, I think.

I suppose you'd say 'a forum is a forum is a forum'? If this one goes, there's always another forum to have fun on and post our witty but inconsequential thoughts?

In which case, the value, beyond it's immediate fun potential, of any post/thread, is a passing thing, and not worth further consideration?

Perhaps we need an automatic function whereby any thread which has had no post added in, say, 10 or 20 or 30 days, self destructs?
no need for that threads can lie dormant for while then be bumped , it is all part of what constitutes a forum .As I wrote Eddie has done a wonderful job . I wondered if it was worth all the time and energy he has devoted to it , and I guess as a lot of people seem happy with it , the short answer must be yes.
My own opinion is that most of this information can be found on the internet if you really want to or need to find it . However it is good of him to bring it all together .

Back to top Go down

Help needed! Adopt a link to the old ATU site today! - Page 2 Empty Re: Help needed! Adopt a link to the old ATU site today!

Post  eddie Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:06 am

Threads I wish I could have saved:

Samuel Beckett
Gulliver's Travels
Bertolt Brecht
Siegfried und Roy
Indians
Bees
Echolocation in Bats
Clocks
Vladimir Tatlin and the Monument to the Third International
Punch and Judy
Lord of the Rings: the dubious bits
The murder of Brian Jones
Loch Ness Monster, Yeti, Bigfoot
Outmoded professions
UFO's
Ley Lines
John Keegan on the US Civil War
Van Gogh

...and a host of others.

Still, what's done is done. Plenty of food for thought on that list if you want to get web surfing.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:18 am

Do you think we should resurrect the "Colours" threads in Off Topic?

You know, the random associations on the themes of:

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Indigo
Violet
Black
White

...and others.

They generated a lot of posts and some of the associations were quite inventive. I dunno, though...
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:44 pm

eddie wrote:
Doc Watson wrote: As I said it would incur your wrath , but you have not explained why.
"Leave the dead you've left behind , they will not follow you"

Anger? No. Contempt? Yes.
"It seems more like anger reading your response , but nevermind Very Happy "

The Dylan misquotation is entirely predictable and would not have occured if you've had an ATU "Dylan Lyrics" thread to which to refer.
"I have a Dylan Kyric Book next to my computer I misquoted because ?I thought it said it better , even Bob alters or misquotes at times."
But I was forgetting...you claim to have sold books- but do you actually have any in your house? Your opposition to public libraries- as set out in the Literature section- suggests that you don't.
"I have 6 rooms with bookshelves chock a block with books in my home. I have never said I oppose public libraries . I support them , whatI have said is they may need to change and have more resources especially non book resources to survive in today's world
It's almost certainly a mistake to make this post at all, to respond as if I were addressing a genuine poster. I've never accepted that the Emu/Watson persona is anything more than a satirical construct, a wind-up. I believe it was Nash who assigned your spider avatar? Smart woman, Nash.
wow what an original thought!!! about 5 people have already posted that Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:59 pm

pinhedz wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:But why ?
When you get right down to it, there's really no reason for anybody here to do anything other than what they feel like doing.

I'm doing what I feel like doing--how about you? Help needed! Adopt a link to the old ATU site today! - Page 2 2141095614
Exactly the same

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:01 pm

Nah Ville Sky Chick wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:At the risk of incurring the wrath of Eddie , Felix and others I dare to ask what is the real point of restoring all these old threads. Some of them had run their course. If one was still active at the time of the old site's demise . interested people would have restarted the topic and if it has gone this long without being started off again is it essential.
I think Eddie and others have done an incredible job in restoring these old threads . But why ?

I am really grateful to everone involved in collecting up our old threads, also to members for thinking up new ones.

You do not seem to contribute much at all, other than boring one liners.

I agree with Eddie and a number of others here, I don't think you are for real. clown
Well what am I then ? It does not look like you have read more than a few of my posts!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:02 pm

tatiana wrote:^^^^^
so others feel like this about emu also?

silent
Sleep Sleep Sleep

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Doc Watson wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:At the risk of incurring the wrath of Eddie , Felix and others I dare to ask what is the real point of restoring all these old threads. Some of them had run their course. If one was still active at the time of the old site's demise . interested people would have restarted the topic and if it has gone this long without being started off again is it essential.
I think Eddie and others have done an incredible job in restoring these old threads . But why ?

I am really grateful to everone involved in collecting up our old threads, also to members for thinking up new ones.

I agree with Eddie and a number of others here, I don't think you are for real. clown
Well what am I then ? It does not look like you have read more than a few of my posts!

I have read far too many of your posts and have concluded that you are a made up character created by someone with a lot of time on their hands. cyclops
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerlily Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:24 pm

Eddie, I appreciate all that you and the others have done to bring back as many of the old threads as possible. It is our (ATU's) history, and if it can be saved, then it should be saved. My feeling about this place is that it's more than "just" an internet forum. When we crashed in April, it really brought all that home to me. Maybe I have become emotionally attached, but oh well.... I would much rather read some interesting tidbit of info on here, from someone like Eddie or Pinz or Felix or P14 (or really any of you ATU members) than go out Googling. I wish I had the time and/or technical knowledge to help with the resurrection, but i don't. So thank you so much to those of you who are helping to get it done.
tigerlily
tigerlily
burning bright

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:24 am

Don't listen to them Doc, you da man.
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:36 am

Simulacrum wrote:Don't listen to them Doc, you da man.

That's your considered opinion, is it?

I seem to recall you also had an affection for GypsyDaisy, the member whose torrent of deranged complaints about so-called "abuses" brought the original ATUI site crashing down around our ears.

Emu/Doc Watson is about as amiable as a rattlesnake.

Cath has already expressed the opion that Emu/Doc is Rhone under another guise. I have no means of knowing whether that is true or not. All I know is that he's not what he appears to be.

eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:52 am

I see no reason to think that Rhone is the Doc. Has Rhone ever had a seperate online 'character'?

I've often considered that the Doc is pulling everyone's leg, but I don't see why he would be some other user that we already know. If I remember correctly, the Docs first 1000ish posts at ER where on the glorious 'Conversation using Only Dylan Lyrics' thread. Hardly the actions of someone who signed up online to piss people off, although certainly the actions of a nutter. (Just kidding Docaroo)

Last edited by Simulacrum on Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  tatiana Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:13 am

i don't think emu is Rhone.

i think emu is a older, married man from rural Victoria who has far too much time on his hands (retirement etc)

and yes, i think he is having a go at us also, as twood says....pulling our legs.

i also think quite a few other things about emu but i am not going to revive any of that stuff.

emu is okay, he is just stiff.

i don't think he intentionally means any harm to others either, he just has a way that irritates others, and so is seen as being a pain in a rear.

imo.
tatiana
tatiana
Tigre-de-Music

https://www.soundawesome.com/listeners/isis7475

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:13 am

Doc Watson wrote:

I have read far too many of your posts and have concluded that you are a made up character created by someone with a lot of time on their hands. cyclops
I think you are wrong Very Happy

Last edited by Doc Watson on Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:15 am

thanks mate you are one of the great posters here.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:17 am

eddie wrote:

I seem to recall you also had an affection for GypsyDaisy, the member whose torrent of deranged complaints about so-called "abuses" brought the original ATUI site crashing down around our ears.

Cath has already expressed the opion that Emu/Doc is Rhone under another guise. I have no means of knowing whether that is true or not. All I know is that he's not what he appears to be.

so what am I then , just remember I have never insulted or belitted any one apart from the Rev and gypsy and I had good reason

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:17 am

Doc Watson wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:

While I do not like to attack people especially some one like you who has worked hard on both this and the previous site all I can say is that as regards your comment I have never ever in my life read so much pure unadulterated drivel !!!!!!!!!!!!

You clearly don't read your own posts then?
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:21 am

Doc Watson wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:

While I do not like to attack people especially some one like you who has worked hard on both this and the previous site all I can say is that as regards your comment I have never ever in my life read so much pure unadulterated drivel !!!!!!!!!!!!

You clearly don't read your own posts then?
]I read all my postyou are entitled to your own opinion . I do not however want to make an enemy of some one who has worked so tirelessly on this and the previos forums , so can we just let it go ? And agree to disagree on som e matters.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:23 am

eddie wrote:

Eddie both you and darling Cath could not be more wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:27 am

tatiana wrote:i don't think emu is Rhone.

i think emu is a older, married man from rural Victoria who has far too much time on his hands (retirement etc)

and yes, i think he is having a go at us also, as twood says....pulling our legs.

i also think quite a few other things about emu but i am not going to revive any of that stuff.

emu is okay, he is just stiff.

i don't think he intentionally means any harm to others either, he just has a way that irritates others, and so is seen as being a pain in a rear.

imo.
Tats I am not having a go at anyone . It only seems to be here that I rub up some people the wrong way . I am not pulling any ones leg . I do not have too much time on my hands . Possibly if this forum had several more members no one would even notice me. Come on say all those other things you think about me .
this is an open forum.

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:31 am

Time to lock this thread.

Better still, with the expiry of most ATUI caches it might as well be deleted.

Past history.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:34 am

eddie wrote:Time to lock this thread.

Better still, with the expiry of most ATUI caches it might as well be deleted.

Past history.
agree it has mostly been all about nothing . Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:42 am

I disagree Twisted Evil
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:47 am

Nah Ville Sky Chick wrote:I disagree Twisted Evil
Well that certainly does not surprise me my dear Cool Cool Cool Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:20 am

Doc Watson wrote: Come on say all those other things you think about me .
this is an open forum.

No Doc, lets not go down that route.
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next