all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bob And Sport

2 posters

Go down

Bob And Sport Empty Bob And Sport

Post  Guest Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:02 pm

Dylan plays at the Rod Laver Arena on Wednesday night and while he will not be thinking about tennis there have been boxing matches there. Dylan's association wiuth boxing goes back to 1963 when he wrote "Who Killed Davey Moore. In 1964 he inserted Cassius Clay into "I Shall Be Free No 10 & 11.
Years later he posed for a picture with the by them Muhammad Ali at a fund raiser for Rubin Carter who was imortalised in "Hurricane"
He also chose a boxing annecdote to begin "Chronicles Vol 1 where he recalls meeting Jack Dempsey a former world heavy weight champion.
In 2002 Los Angeles Magazine claimed he owned his own boxing gym in Santa Monica, although it was claimed the paper work was held in his manager's name to keep the Dylanologists away.
He told Der Spiegel in 1997 that his golf handicap was 17 even though he hit as if it were a baseball bat.
According to ESPN Golf, "Golf Digest " placed him at number 63 on its list of top 100 musican golfers with an asterisk and a note imploring "if you've seen him play lately , call us ".

Back to top Go down

Bob And Sport Empty Re: Bob And Sport

Post  precinct14 Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:17 am

He used to spar with Gina Gershon, in an LA gym. She went easy on him. He loves the fights. Jack Dempsey's on page 1 of Chronicles. Saw him on TV, in the customary shades, front row at a Sugar Ray fight, back in the late 80's.
precinct14
precinct14
Coming up empty from the piggy bank?

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:24 pm

Quentin Tarantino's comments after sparring with Dylan:

"He wanted to play hard... (and) he nailed me with a really good one (punch). We were sparring together, and he got one in there when I wasn't paying attention. I think it was a right jab. I let my guard down for a minute, and he just thumped it in... It was a good punch."
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:59 am

In Australia he supports the Carlton Football Club

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:10 pm

Yakima Canutt wrote:In the seventies and eighties, Bob Dylan would occasionally play basketball.  He thought he was pretty good but truthfully he was awful.  I don't think anyone told him though.

Were they too scared to tell him, or did they just enjoy the fact they were playing with him?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:46 am

it is rumoured he watches cricket with Mick Jagger.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:47 pm

he also used to run a good 200 yards in track.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:13 pm

pinhedz wrote:I always thought that Bob should have got himself a real tennis racket, instead of using that banjo uke. Rolling Eyes

Bob And Sport Tumblr_lqt69xer2p1qzwnmf
As a teenager he was good at tennis.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:37 am

I think he should attempt an Iron Man event.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down