all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could this be the breakout we need? Songs 'about' "sport"

2 posters

Go down

Could this be the breakout we need?  Songs 'about' "sport" Empty Could this be the breakout we need? Songs 'about' "sport"

Post  felix Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:48 pm

Old Ferd 'Jelly Roll' Morton was keen on sportin' - here's his 'Sporting House Rag' - Perfick, just perfick! clown :

felix
felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Back to top Go down

Could this be the breakout we need?  Songs 'about' "sport" Empty Re: Could this be the breakout we need? Songs 'about' "sport"

Post  felix Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:04 pm

^ That's the ticket! cheers
felix
felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Back to top Go down

Could this be the breakout we need?  Songs 'about' "sport" Empty Re: Could this be the breakout we need? Songs 'about' "sport"

Post  felix Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:55 pm

^ izzat wot we call rounders? albino

Fore! bounce

Frank Crumit - 'Donald The Dub'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPnuar6tkrM

Bing Crosby - 'Straight Down The Middle'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yRnH2CXMoU&feature=related
felix
felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:14 am

Well...not too sporty myself. But I love hiking. Love it like these guys.

Back to top Go down

Post  ISN Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:15 am

Basketball

how can the National Anthem be sexy.......hehehehe....... scratch

this is one of my favourite youtube videos - thanks to John Cusack for bringing it to my attention

I almost swoon when I listen to this....... I love you
ISN
ISN
Endlessly Fascinating

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:42 am

In Australia there is a guy called Greg Champion.
He has written and recorded many sporting songs . mainly about football and cricket.
Many songs have sporting references.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:32 pm

Australian churches ban sports songs from funerals

(AFP) – Sep 9, 2010
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h52htsZYHmWYoNTsMpbIlFYZQHpw

MELBOURNE — Sports anthems and popular songs such as Frank Sinatra's "My Way" have been banned from funerals at more than 200 Australian churches after new orders from Melbourne's archbishop.

The edict follows a study that found the signature song for Australian Rules Football team Collingwood was one of the top requests at Melbourne funerals, along with "My Way" and the Bette Midler version of "The Wind Beneath My Wings".

Melbourne Archbishop Denis Hart said sports songs were not appropriate for a service which emphasises the solemn nature of death and is not designed as a celebration of the deceased's life.

"Secular items are never to be sung or played at a Catholic funeral, such as romantic ballads, pop or rock music, political songs, football club songs," Hart writes in the new guidelines.

"At the funerals of children... nursery rhymes and sentimental secular songs are inappropriate because these may intensify grief."

The guidelines stress that the wishes of the deceased and their family and friends should be taken into account, but say the Catholic funeral mass is a sacred rite rather than "a secular celebration" of the individual's life.

"In planning the liturgy, the celebrant should moderate any tendency to turn the funeral into a secular celebration of the life of the deceased," they say.

The move in Melbourne, a city that prides itself on its fanatical attachment to Australian Rules Football and where club songs are commonly played at funerals, has received a mixed reaction, a spokesman for the church said.

One parish priest, Father Bob Maguire from South Melbourne, said the move would make it harder to balance the needs of mourners with those of the church.

He told Melbourne's Herald Sun newspaper he preferred to see funerals as "family affairs attended by clergy, not a clergymen's affair attended by family".

"I think (the rules) are a bit insensitive to local sensibilities, and a reversal of grassroots Catholic rituals," he said.

Funeral directors said celebrations of the deceased's life were important elements of modern services, and this often involved the playing of football club songs or songs such as Pink Floyd's "The Wall".

"It's important to focus on celebrating the life of the person," managing director of Jensen Funerals in Melbourne, Andrew Pinder, told ABC radio.

A survey conducted by the Herald Sun two years ago found the Collingwood song, "My Way" and "The Wind Beneath My Wings" were funeral favourites, along with Louis Armstrong's "Wonderful World" and "Unforgettable" by Nat King Cole.

More unusual choices included Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust", Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" and AC/DC's "Highway to Hell", it said.

Copyright © 2011 AFP. All rights reserved.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down