all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Life, the universe and everything

4 posters

Go down

Life, the universe and everything Empty Life, the universe and everything

Post  eddie Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:41 pm

Life, the universe and everything Loomus-18-Feb-2012-002
Steven Appleby
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Life, the universe and everything Empty Re: Life, the universe and everything

Post  eddie Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:17 am

Life, the universe and everything Jeremy-Deller-at-the-Hayw-007
Jeremy Deller's first proper gallery exhibition opens in London. Photograph: David Levene
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:21 am

(Douglas Adams)
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:51 am

Life, the universe and everything Nietzsche-274x300

Andy
Non scolae sed vitae discimus

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:53 am

Three metamorphoses of the spirit do I designate to you: how the spirit becometh a camel, the camel a lion, and the lion at last a child.

Many heavy things are there for the spirit, the strong load-bearing spirit in which reverence dwelleth: for the heavy and the heaviest longeth its strength.

What is heavy? so asketh the load-bearing spirit; then kneeleth it down like the camel, and wanteth to be well laden.

What is the heaviest thing, ye heroes? asketh the load-bearing spirit, that I may take it upon me and rejoice in my strength.

Is it not this: To humiliate oneself in order to mortify one's pride? To exhibit one's folly in order to mock at one's wisdom?

Or is it this: To desert our cause when it celebrateth its triumph? To ascend high mountains to tempt the tempter?

Or is it this: To feed on the acorns and grass of knowledge, and for the sake of truth to suffer hunger of soul?

Or is it this: To be sick and dismiss comforters, and make friends of the deaf, who never hear thy requests?

Or is it this: To go into foul water when it is the water of truth, and not disclaim cold frogs and hot toads?

Or is it this: To love those who despise us, and give one's hand to the phantom when it is going to frighten us?

All these heaviest things the load-bearing spirit taketh upon itself: and like the camel, which, when laden, hasteneth into the wilderness, so hasteneth the spirit into its wilderness.

But in the loneliest wilderness happeneth the second metamorphosis: here the spirit becometh a lion; freedom will it capture, and lordship in its own wilderness.

Its last Lord it here seeketh: hostile will it be to him, and to its last God; for victory will it struggle with the great dragon.

What is the great dragon which the spirit is no longer inclined to call Lord and God? "Thou-shalt," is the great dragon called. But the spirit of the lion saith, "I will."

"Thou-shalt," lieth in its path, sparkling with gold--a scale-covered beast; and on every scale glittereth golden, "Thou shalt!"

The values of a thousand years glitter on those scales, and thus speaketh the mightiest of all dragons: "All the values of things--glitter on me.

All values have already been created, and all created values--do I represent. Verily, there shall be no 'I will' any more. Thus speaketh the dragon.

My brethren, wherefore is there need of the lion in the spirit? Why sufficeth not the beast of burden, which renounceth and is reverent?

To create new values--that, even the lion cannot yet accomplish: but to create itself freedom for new creating--that can the might of the lion do.

To create itself freedom, and give a holy Nay even unto duty: for that, my brethren, there is need of the lion.

To assume the right to new values--that is the most formidable assumption for a load-bearing and reverent spirit. Verily, unto such a spirit it is preying, and the work of a beast of prey.

As its holiest, it once loved "Thou-shalt": now is it forced to find illusion and arbitrariness even in the holiest things, that it may capture freedom from its love: the lion is needed for this capture.

But tell me, my brethren, what the child can do, which even the lion could not do? Why hath the preying lion still to become a child?

Innocence is the child, and forgetfulness, a new beginning, a game, a self- rolling wheel, a first movement, a holy Yea.

Aye, for the game of creating, my brethren, there is needed a holy Yea unto life: ITS OWN will, willeth now the spirit; HIS OWN world winneth the world's outcast.

Three metamorphoses of the spirit have I designated to you: how the spirit became a camel, the camel a lion, and the lion at last a child.--

Thus spake Zarathustra. And at that time he abode in the town which is called The Pied Cow.

Andy

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:55 am

One of my personal favorites:

The Dying Socrates. I admire the courage and wisdom of Socrates in all that he did, said and did not say. This mocking and amorous demon and rat catcher of Athens, who made the most* insolent youths tremble and sob, was not only the wisest babbler that has ever lived, but was just as great in his silence. I would that he had also been silent in the last moment of his life, perhaps he might then have belonged to a still higher order of intellects. Whether it was death, or the poison, or piety, or wickedness something or other loosened his tongue at that moment, and he said: "O Crito, I owe a cock to Asclepios." For him who has ears, this ludicrous and terrible "last word" implies: "O Crito, life is a long sickness!" Is it possible! A man like him, who had lived cheerfully and to all appearance as a soldier, was a pessimist! He had merely put on a good demeanour towards life, and had all along concealed his ultimate judgment, his profoundest sentiment! Socrates, Socrates had suffered from life! And he also took his revenge for it with that veiled, fearful, pious, and blasphemous phrase! Had even a Socrates to revenge himself? Was there a grain too little of magnanimity in his superabundant virtue? Ah, my friends! We must surpass even the Greeks!

Andy

Back to top Go down

Post  felix Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:39 am

Life, the universe and everything Ahitch265k2
felix
felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:48 pm

Life, the universe and everything else? In my life, the "everything else" is my mother.
Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:50 pm

Good posts, Andy. These days the "everything else" has me squarely in the camel camp.
Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:52 pm

I should qualify that a bit: the camel, burdened yes, but short, I will admit, on the reverence.
Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down