all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My computer is dead. Long live my computer.

Go down

My computer is dead. Long live my computer. Empty My computer is dead. Long live my computer.

Post  eddie Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:01 pm

On Saturday my 11-years old Mesh pc died. It was a very old computer, so old that it originally came with Windows Millennium software. It had had two major upgrades, the first just before the warranty ran out and the second at the hands of my technophile ex-girlfriend who more or less rebuilt it. That's how it managed to last for 11 years, a venerable age in computer years.

I've had to splash out on a new hp, a nice machine reduced from £700 to £500 in a Curry's/PC World sale (plus a further £100 for the Norton's and Office software). £600 I hadn't planned on spending, but if it lasts another 11 years it'll be a good investment. As when the washing-machine dies, and fixing it is uneconomical, you've just got to grit your teeth and splash the cash.

Money aside, the major inconvenience here is that all the files for the book I'm working on were on the old machine. My work colleague Pat had advised me not three weeks ago to buy a 4-Gig memory stick and back them up. I was actually on my way to the shop to do this but, as Fate would have it, the NatWest bank cash point was out of service and, tired after a long shift, I thought "Sod it, I'll do it tomorrow" (as you do sometimes)- but, of course, I never got around to it.

Luckily, I've got two hard copies, which I can always photcopy if it comes to that. But my ex-girlfriend assues me that the files on the defunct hard drive are recoverable by a professional. Since that's just what she is- she works in IT- I'm going to commission her to rescue them and transfer them to the gleaming new pc.

More dosh. Technology, eh? I'm starting to get nostalgic about my old typewriter.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down