all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quitting smoking

+6
tatiana
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Dick Fitzwell
eddie
tigerlily
sil
10 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Quitting smoking Empty Quitting smoking

Post  sil Sun May 15, 2011 8:30 pm

Quitting smoking 2945899434

Last edited by silviando on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
sil
sil

Back to top Go down

Quitting smoking Empty Re: Quitting smoking

Post  tigerlily Sun May 15, 2011 10:30 pm

What sort of pictures are in the cigarette packages? Scarey pics of black lungs??

This time was just a set-back....you will quit when you are truly ready.

If you do cold turkey, then expect 3 days of hell to get past the initial physical cravings. After that it becomes mostly about the emotional cravings, and you can learn to steer yourself away from those.

Just feeling better having that unopened pack in your possession.....addiction....

What helped me alot this latest time of quitting was to stay away from other smokers.

And I think a person needs to quit for themself, not because someone else wants them to do this.

I am on Day75. And I am amazed that I have made it this long. I still just take it one day at a time.
tigerlily
tigerlily
burning bright

Back to top Go down

Post  sil Sun May 15, 2011 11:09 pm

Quitting smoking 847004189

Last edited by silviando on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
sil
sil

Back to top Go down

Post  sil Sun May 15, 2011 11:52 pm

farao

Last edited by silviando on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
sil
sil

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerlily Mon May 16, 2011 12:31 am

I think we each need to find the image or thought that works to help us not light the next cig. It's very individual and can take awhile to realize what it is. What has helped me this time is thinking about Suze Rotolo and her death from lung cancer.

I keep track of the days still, although not every single day. Sometimes now I will go a whole day without one thought of "wouldn't a cigarette be nice right now".

What I know about myself is that I have to be vigilent always against the false feeling of having beaten this addiction.....I can't have "just one" because I know it will lead to more than just one. I foolishly thought that after 13 years of being quit I could easily smoke only on "social occasions" ....and before I knew it I was up to a pack a day and standing out in the alley all by myself in the cold at breaktime.

Keep trying to quit, each time might be the last time. Eventually you will reach the right combination of resolve and resistance and you will be successful. Every hour you remain smoke free is good, even if you relapse.

Congratulations SJ on 3 1/2 years, that is awesome cheers
tigerlily
tigerlily
burning bright

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:28 pm

tigerlily wrote:I think we each need to find the image or thought that works to help us not light the next cig. It's very individual and can take awhile to realize what it is.

Vincent smoked too much:

Quitting smoking 447px-Skull_with_a_Burning_Cigarette
Skull of a Skeleton with a Burning Cigarette (1885-6). Oil on canvas. Van Gogh Museum.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:43 am

Man decapitated after falling off Tube train secretly trying to smoke a cigarette

Jun 28, 2011

Quitting smoking Tube-1309262014

A 52-year-old man was decapitated after being dragged underneath a Tube train which he had fallen out of while smoking a cigarette.

The commuter is believed to have forced open the emergency exit doors between carriages on a late-night Metropolitan Line Tube train and fallen between the gap.

The incident occured between Chorleywood, Herts, and Chesham, Bucks.

Police said that after tumbling onto the track, he was dragged along at 50mph, at which some point his head was severed from his body.

His death is being treated as a bizarre accident, rather than suspicious.

A rail worker who was on the Tube train when the man fell, told the Daily Mail: 'A passenger who was smoking between the carriages on the train slipped and fell onto the tracks while the train was moving at 50mph.

'He was subsequently dragged to Chalfont and Latimer and decapitated.

'This just shows how dangerous messing around between the carriages really is.

'If you ever think it might be a bit of fun, or if you need a cigarette, please think again.

'Had this guy waited 10 more minutes he'd still have been with us now and nobody would have had to suffer the awful consequences of his stupidity.'

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:48 am

Throw all your cigarettes away. Don't keep any around at all or you will be tempted to smoke them. Don't finish your last pack either. Throw it away.

Whenever the urge to smoke is unbearable and your family can't stand to be around you, go for a walk or a run, or a swim or something. Go do something to keep your mind off of it (preferably something healthy). Don't sit and brood.

By the way I've never smoked a cigarette in my life and never will, but these are things tips that have helped me quit other things.

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:47 am

^^

At the ripe old age of 20, what else have you quit ?
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  tatiana Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:14 am

Good for you Paladin, that is great advice.

and i am an ex-smoker, i gave up after smoking for about 26 years

cheers
tatiana
tatiana
Tigre-de-Music

https://www.soundawesome.com/listeners/isis7475

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:04 am

Nah Ville Sky Chick wrote:^^

Don't worry about it.

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:11 pm

When I had a book shop in my previous life Alan Carr's Gude to quitting smoking was a big seller , a lot of customers said it worked.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:24 am

Paladin wrote:

Don't worry about it.

I'm not worried, just curious Suspect
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:34 am

Nah Ville Sky Chick wrote:
Paladin wrote:

Don't worry about it.

Chill. Don't worry about it. Neutral
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:49 am

^^

I am now getting worried, have a Quitting smoking 2945899434
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:40 pm

Simulacrum wrote:
Nah Ville Sky Chick wrote:
Paladin wrote:

Don't worry about it.

Chill. Don't worry about it. Neutral

this

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:42 pm

...day 5. I'm starting to sweat. I feel like I've lost my best friend and most faithful companion. My lungs feel like an icy blast of oxygen is about to explode them. For the past 3 days all I've wanted to do is to go to bed and lay down. I've tried to keep busy but lack motivation. I took my dog for a walk. In a fit of sheer joy he accidently bumped me. I had an almost uncontrollable urge to kick him. Violently.

...the first 3 days weren't all that hard because I had awful physical symptoms from smoking too much. I quit from fear, muttering one of those pacts you make with god or the devil or who knows what, like 'just let me get better this time and I promise to be good'. I was so sick those first days I didn't have much trouble (I think I was sick because I used nicotene patches...and then smoked. As well as nausea, I broke out in a severe allergic reaction to the patches...at least scratching the welts gave me something to do with my hands).

...the problem is I'm feeling a lot better now. This should make me happy, but gives me more strength to be sad. sigh. I'm getting up now to take the dog for a walk.

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerlily Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:01 pm

blue moon wrote:...day 5. I'm starting to sweat. I feel like I've lost my best friend and most faithful companion. My lungs feel like an icy blast of oxygen is about to explode them. For the past 3 days all I've wanted to do is to go to bed and lay down. I've tried to keep busy but lack motivation. I took my dog for a walk. In a fit of sheer joy he accidently bumped me. I had an almost uncontrollable urge to kick him. Violently.

...the first 3 days weren't all that hard because I had awful physical symptoms from smoking too much. I quit from fear, muttering one of those pacts you make with god or the devil or who knows what, like 'just let me get better this time and I promise to be good'. I was so sick those first days I didn't have much trouble (I think I was sick because I used nicotene patches...and then smoked. As well as nausea, I broke out in a severe allergic reaction to the patches...at least scratching the welts gave me something to do with my hands).

...the problem is I'm feeling a lot better now. This should make me happy, but gives me more strength to be sad. sigh. I'm getting up now to take the dog for a walk.

Oh mooney! Good for you for trying! It is so hard....

Looking back on this thread, me being all full of advice back then....well.....I'm back on the cigs since July Quitting smoking 3685654045 Story of my life, stop/start, over and over. This morning, as i sat on the porch puffing away, I decided to give quitting another chance this coming weekend. It's a 3 day holiday, so time to get over the initial phase while not dealing with work.

I've never tried the patch. I know it does work for some people. My dad quit a three-pack-a-day habit using the patch. I've just never wanted to shell out the money. I just wish I could carry on with the strength I seem to have for getting thru the first 3 days of hell.....maybe it will work this time.

Anyway, hang in there, I'll be thinking of you.
tigerlily
tigerlily
burning bright

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:54 pm

...this may sound shadenfraude or whatever the word is that means you take pleasure in someone else's pain...but thank you for saying you're smoking again. I felt like contributing to this thread when it first went up...I was chuffed because I'd heard on the radio that as an incentive to getting people to stop smoking, the expensive patches were almost being given away, as long as you got a doctor's script first. Doctors are still free where I live...no worries...off to the chemist for the patches.

I'd just arrived home with a jumbo pack of patches and a swag of good intentions when I turned the computer on and saw the thread...would you believe I didn't post then, because I already thought the 'how to quit smoking' topic was already in my past.

I think I get some terrible sort of pleasure, the first 3 days of giving up. It's like some hot and sweaty fight with the devil...I feel so...pure and pumped when I've won and my spit starts to taste like springwater. But when that nicotine devil stops wrestling my body, he just gets in my head and whispers...ahhh, just one...was it silviando back there that said she relaxes as soon as the pack's in her hand? Oh too true.

...thanks for your support tigerlily (...your rank is 'burning bright'...it just hit me Very Happy ).
It makes me feel good to see you say you'll be thinking of me. I'll be thinking of you...good luck to usQuitting smoking Web-messenger-crossed-fingers

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerlily Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:49 am

Oh yeah, that old nicotine devil....with me he waits and lays low for a few months and then starts the game of enticing me to have "just one" Twisted Evil

Whenever I quit, I know that I can't say out loud "I quit" because it's really an every day/hour/minute battle that I can, and do, very easily lose.

Part of why I started up again this time is because I hoped it would help me eat less.....you know, mindless eating.....

And then of course the ever-present stress of life in general.

Silly reasons to slowly kill myself Quitting smoking 2945899434
tigerlily
tigerlily
burning bright

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:00 am

...I'm just sitting here at the computer...I know where there's a butt outside. I'm not really all that tempted.

I'm going to make one of those confessions now, t-lily, that make me wake up in the morning thinking 'delete'.

...although I want to stop smoking so I can avoid the nasty and lingering death it's leading me to, the driving motivation is a man who done me wrong a few decades ago...REAL wrong. He'll be in town in a month Shocked...I really really really need to get my shit together.

Back to top Go down

Post  tigerlily Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:41 am

blue moon wrote:...I really really really need to get my shit together.

Well then, it seems you have some good motivation to stay quit.

If it was me in your situation, I would put off quitting because I know I would be stressed out and doomed to failure. I have better luck when things are going smoothly....no excuses to light that first one.
tigerlily
tigerlily
burning bright

Back to top Go down

Post  tatiana Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:50 am

both of you

just give up
One cigarette at a time.

each one you don't light up....is one you have given up....and that is your goal......they will add up.

or

think of the slow and painful death you (and your famlies) might have to endure if you continue to smoke.....

tigerlily I love you
remember how lost i would be if you weren't around. Shocked Sad
I love you
tatiana
tatiana
Tigre-de-Music

Back to top Go down

Post  tatiana Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:58 am

i could do the guilt trip here also....
Razz Razz Razz

if you guys don't want to stop for yourselves...do it for your loved ones.

but i won't because as an ex-smoker.... i know what a horrific habit it is to give up and i wish both of you (and others) good luck with giving up
cheers

(almost as bad as trying desperately to not get stoned each morning
i can't stop)
Embarassed

tatiana
tatiana
Tigre-de-Music

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:26 am

blue moon wrote:...I'm just sitting here at the computer...I know where there's a butt outside. I'm not really all that tempted.

I'm going to make one of those confessions now, t-lily, that make me wake up in the morning thinking 'delete'.

...although I want to stop smoking so I can avoid the nasty and lingering death it's leading me to, the driving motivation is a man who done me wrong a few decades ago...REAL wrong. He'll be in town in a month Shocked...I really really really need to get my shit together.

Oh, Moonie!

I have bad boy and smoking memories, but they go back a long way.

But whatever keeps you motivated to stay away from the cigarettes, it's good.
Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum