all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Peg-leg and the Parrot: ATU's literary game

5 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

The Peg-leg and the Parrot: ATU's literary game - Page 5 Empty Re: The Peg-leg and the Parrot: ATU's literary game

Post  eddie Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:23 pm

Yes, a novel: the first of a popular series.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

The Peg-leg and the Parrot: ATU's literary game - Page 5 Empty Re: The Peg-leg and the Parrot: ATU's literary game

Post  Guest Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:33 pm

The Peg-leg and the Parrot: ATU's literary game - Page 5 200px-ArthurConanDoyle_AStudyInScarlet_annual

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:41 pm

cheers cheers cheers
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:15 pm

...a novel...

The Peg-leg and the Parrot: ATU's literary game - Page 5 Dead-drunk-5The Peg-leg and the Parrot: ATU's literary game - Page 5 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdgJlZ79wsK011FzHpaCgetPiOV5Z3G0QIDdmTRi0fFbhVfjZI The Peg-leg and the Parrot: ATU's literary game - Page 5 Work.24729.9.flat,550x550,075,f.big-ben

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:40 pm

George Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London.
Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:51 pm

cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:57 pm

The Peg-leg and the Parrot: ATU's literary game - Page 5 300px-Volcano_scheme.svg

1. Large magma chamber
2. Bedrock
3. Conduit (pipe)
4. Base
5. Sill
6. Dike
7. Layers of ash
8. Flank
9. Layers of lava
10. Throat
11. Parasitic cone
12. Lava flow
13. Vent
14. Crater
15. Ash cloud
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:01 pm

...Malcolm Lowry's "Under the Volcano" ?

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:02 pm

The Peg-leg and the Parrot: ATU's literary game - Page 5 01724_UltramarineBlue-l
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:03 pm

blue moon wrote:
...Malcolm Lowry's "Under the Volcano" ?

drunken cheers
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:13 pm

..."A Patch of Blue" by Elizabeth Cata (or a name like that)?

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:16 pm

blue moon wrote:

..."A Patch of Blue" by Elizabeth Cata (or a name like that)?

'Fraid not. Novel. See above.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:48 pm

"Fade to White" (by the authoress who wrote "Push" on which the movie "Precious" was based?

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:11 am

Sorry, but no.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:16 am

...Fade to Blue by Sean Beaudoin...am I even close? The Peg-leg and the Parrot: ATU's literary game - Page 5 3874208089

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:18 am

It's much easier than you think. Right-click and simplify. The author himself cut the title of the work down from two words to just one.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:24 am

...oh dear...now I don't know if you're being helpful or patronising... The Peg-leg and the Parrot: ATU's literary game - Page 5 152871744
The Peg-leg and the Parrot: ATU's literary game - Page 5 31615

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:28 am

Helpful is my middle name. Very Happy
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:35 am

...easy one...a novel...
sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny sunny
X10

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:07 pm

The Peg-leg and the Parrot: ATU's literary game - Page 5 A_Thousand_Splendid_Suns

?????

Is this correct? If so, what's it about? Any good? I've never heard of it.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:36 am

cheers cheers cheers

...I'm about to read it eddie. My daughter lent it to me. She said it won't make me cry as much as The Kite Runner.

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:54 am

The Peg-leg and the Parrot: ATU's literary game - Page 5 384px-Pippi_Longstocking_book_cover

The Peg-leg and the Parrot: ATU's literary game - Page 5 Dragon_tattoo
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:06 am

...The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...

"Lisbeth Salander is the the girl with the dragon tattoo...the heroine and central character...Larsson saw her as a modern-day Pippi Longstocking..."

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:09 am

Moony, have you read Stieg Larsson Millennium Trilogy yet?

If you haven't, I promise you won't reget it.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:24 am

eddie wrote:Moony, have you read Stieg Larsson Millennium Trilogy yet?

If you haven't, I promise you won't reget it.

...I haven't...but the summaries I read while tracking the clues down are enticing.

"Lisbeth Salander is the the girl with the dragon tattoo – the heroine and central character in the stories – which has been described as a Scandinavian Silence of the Lambs. I find it similar in some ways to Smilla’s Sense of Snow (1992) by Peter Hoeg. Lisbeth and Smilla would make a formidable pair. Lisbeth is a genius computer hacker. Forshaw says Larsson saw her as a modern-day Pippi Longstocking (another Scandinavian punkish wild child) with multiple piercings and the ability to inflict horrific violence on men who brutalize women."

...I loved Miss Smilla's feeling for Snow, and the way Peter Hoeg writes (although you can never be sure how much credit belongs to the translator). A strange thing about Hoeg's stories is that I find the first half of each of them outstanding...I often have to stop reading and catch my breath...but then they seem to unravel, as though he's uncertain how to end them.

Thanks for the recommendation eddie. I'll order them tomorrow (they'll take a few weeks to get here). I'll let you know what I think when/as I read them. Very Happy

I

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next