all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding

4 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 Empty Re: Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding

Post  LaRue Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:29 am

Well here's a clip from their rehearsal...don't know about you but I can't wait to see this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav0FEhtLug

HAHAHA!

LaRue
Suzerain Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 Empty Re: Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding

Post  Guest Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:43 pm

An Australian Comedy show "The Chaser " will present their own account of the royal wedding , if I watch anything , it will be that.

Last edited by Doc Watson on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:45 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : 4 spelling errors)

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:56 pm

Who's that girl? Kate Middleton pops out to the shops

By Jessica Laurence, Apr 20, 2011

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 Kate-middleton-whistles-590aw200411
BIGPICTURES

Kate Middleton proves she's still in touch with the real world as she went for a quick shopping trip at Whistles.

This was Kate's second trip in as many days to the high street and she looked like an ordinary Chelsea shopper as she popped into shops on the King's Road - check out her doppelgänger on the right.

Kate began her spree yesterday with a trip to Warehouse. Staff at the shop said she spent £225 on three summer dresses and a lace blouse, suggesting that Prince William's bride-to-be may be going somewhere hot and sunny for her honeymoon.

Warehouse assistants said Kate was very pleasant and friendly, and added that her purchases were all in a size 8.

Kate continued her shopping with a visit to Whistles today. She looked extremely slim - perhaps more like a size 6 then an 8 - in a little black Issa dress which showed her jutting collarbone and tiny ankles.

The future royal paired her LBD with tan kitten heels, a small brown leather bag and flowing hair.

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 Kate-middleton-whistles-484aw200411
BIGPICTURES

Kate loves the high street shop and was pictured in her official engagement pictures wearing a £70 blouse from the chain.

Apart from her extraordinary slimness, one thing set the lady in black apart from the rest of the shoppers.

She was wearing her sapphire and diamond engagement ring, which is valued at around £250,000.

Some experts have estimated that its true value could be more than 100 times higher, considering its history as the ring Prince Charles gave to William's mother, the late Princess Diana.

The Garrard ring, made of platinum, an 18 carat sapphire and 14 diamonds that Charles gave to Diana in 1981, could be worth up to £32 million.

Black dress, Whistles bag, £32 million ring - just another ordinary day for a princess-to-be.

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:04 pm

Shop Kate Middleton's Warehouse summer wardrobe!

By Sarah Karmali, Apr 20, 2011

Kate Middleton showed off her thrifty side yesterday, when she went for a shop at high street store Warehouse.

With access to any designer name under the sun, she could be constantly decked out in the finest couture at all times - if she so chose.

But when the bride-to-be decided to indulge in a spot of retail therapy yesterday, she eschewed the high end stores, and instread took a trip to the great British high street.

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 Katemiddletonwarehouse1-1303299271
Royal summer style. Photos courtesy of Warehouse

Kate spent a grand total of £220 in the Warehouse store on the King's Road in Chelsea, snapping up four pretty summer buys which are all available to buy online.

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 Katemiddletonwarehouse2
Something for the honeymoon? Photos courtesy of Warehouse

Perhaps she was shopping for a rather important holiday coming up in the not-too-distant future?

Here's what she bought:

Warehouse feather-print one-shoulder dress, £45

Warehouse bright floral bandeau frill dress, £45

Warehouse tropical print bird dress, £65

Warehouse lace trim square cut blouse, £65

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:05 pm

William and Kate visit Diana grave

21 April 2011

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 N0049301303366810839A
William and Kate have reportedly visited Diana's grave

Prince William and bride-to-be Kate Middleton have visited the grave of Princess Diana ahead of next week's royal wedding, according to reports.

The couple are believed to have laid flowers at Diana's final resting place at the Althorp Estate in Northamptonshire.

The revelation comes after Miss Middleton's parents, Michael and Carole, had lunch with the Queen in what is believed to be the first time the monarch has met her grandson's future in-laws.

During the couple's visit to Diana's 14,000 acre family home, William, 28, and his long-term girlfriend took a boat to his late mother's island memorial, The Daily Mirror reported. They then visited the arboretum nearby where William and younger brother Harry planted trees when they were children, it was claimed.

A source told the paper: "It was very important for William to take Kate to visit his mum just before their wedding day. Diana is still a huge part of her boy's everyday life and always will be.

"Even though Kate never met Diana, she knows what an incredible woman she was and it is very important to her she can share and understand William's love and grief for his mum."

The island burial spot, known as The Oval, was provided as a shrine to Diana by her brother Charles Spencer following her death. The Althorp estate has been home to the Spencer family since the 16th century.

Prince William has also honoured the memory of his mother by using her blue sapphire engagement ring to propose to Miss Middleton. After the engagement was announced, he said: "It's my mother's engagement ring so I thought it was quite nice because obviously she's not going to be around to share any of the fun and excitement of it all - this was my way of keeping her close to it all."

His fiancee also paid tribute to the mother-in-law she never had the opportunity to know. She said: "Obviously I would have loved to have met her and she was obviously an inspirational woman to look up to - to this day and going forward."

Miss Middleton's parents travelled to the Queen's Windsor Castle home on Wednesday and enjoyed lunch along with the Duke of Edinburgh and a small number of members of the royal household.

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:37 pm

eddie wrote:Who's that girl? Kate Middleton pops out to the shops

By Jessica Laurence, Apr 20, 2011

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 Kate-middleton-whistles-590aw200411
BIGPICTURES

Kate Middleton proves she's still in touch with the real world as she went for a quick shopping trip at Whistles.

This was Kate's second trip in as many days to the high street and she looked like an ordinary Chelsea shopper as she popped into shops on the King's Road - check out her doppelgänger on the right.

Kate began her spree yesterday with a trip to Warehouse. Staff at the shop said she spent £225 on three summer dresses and a lace blouse, suggesting that Prince William's bride-to-be may be going somewhere hot and sunny for her honeymoon.

Warehouse assistants said Kate was very pleasant and friendly, and added that her purchases were all in a size 8.

Kate continued her shopping with a visit to Whistles today. She looked extremely slim - perhaps more like a size 6 then an 8 - in a little black Issa dress which showed her jutting collarbone and tiny ankles.

The future royal paired her LBD with tan kitten heels, a small brown leather bag and flowing hair.

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 Kate-middleton-whistles-484aw200411
BIGPICTURES

Kate loves the high street shop and was pictured in her official engagement pictures wearing a £70 blouse from the chain.

Apart from her extraordinary slimness, one thing set the lady in black apart from the rest of the shoppers.

She was wearing her sapphire and diamond engagement ring, which is valued at around £250,000.

Some experts have estimated that its true value could be more than 100 times higher, considering its history as the ring Prince Charles gave to William's mother, the late Princess Diana.

The Garrard ring, made of platinum, an 18 carat sapphire and 14 diamonds that Charles gave to Diana in 1981, could be worth up to £32 million.

Black dress, Whistles bag, £32 million ring - just another ordinary day for a princess-to-be.

AOL

I love her shoes, I wonder where she got them?

Wow, size 8 she is tiny, I thought she was quite tall as well? Hope she ain't another one with an eating disorder?
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:59 pm

For my generation, the big Royal Wedding was that of Charles and Diana- but if the public had known at the time what we now know about that relationship I'd can't imagine that there would have been quite so much enthusiasm about it:

1. Diana: brood mare (as far as the Windsor dynasty was concerned), too emotionally vulnerable for life in the media spotlight.
2. Charles: emotionally committed to another woman: viz. Camilla.
3. Ergo:
a) A sham.
b) A tragedy-in-waiting.

A constitutional monarchy is as good a way as any to separate the power of the Executive from the position of Head of State. This particular dynasty is attended with hundreds of years of history- so, why not?

But the Kate-William marriage strikes me as coming as a VERY convenient time for an unpopular government that can only become more unpopular as the consequences of its economic strategy kick in.

So no, I'm not going to be one of the estimated million people on the streets of London clutching my plastic Union Jack. I might watch the highlights on the TV News, though.

eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:17 pm

^^

Well I know our PM Dave is encouraging us all to have street parties and bollocks to insurance. However, I do not know anyone at all that will be having a street party do you?

Last street party I recall was the Queens silver jubilee in 1977, I was a punk and refused to go Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 3504830471
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:05 am

While a lot of royalists in Australia will be watching in awe and rapture I will not be one of them and if I were to stay at home I would watch either the Chasers alternate view of it or some live night football.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:18 pm

In Australia The AB C was forced under orders from the royal palace to with draw their planned satire by the chaser team or else they would have been denied access to the feed for the official broadcast on thier main channel.
Sadly it seems the royals can not laugh at themselves.

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:53 pm

'Effigies' trio held by police

29 April 2011

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 N0177501304029766888A
Police arrested two men and a woman thought to have been plotting to disrupt the royal wedding

Protesters thought to have been planning to behead effigies at the royal wedding have been arrested, sources said.

Police seized a guillotine as they arrested two men - aged 68 and 45 - and a 68-year-old woman thought to have been plotting disruption on the big day.

It is understood one of the men arrested is Chris Knight, 68, head of the anti-royal anarchist group The Government of the Dead.

The arrests in Brockley, south-east London, come after officers warned there would be a number of pre-emptive arrests on the eve of the big day.

The trio were being held in a south London police station.

Scotland Yard, which has vowed to deal "robustly" with suspected troublemakers, is believed to be concerned about activities by anarchist groups.

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:07 pm

Kate prepares to become a princess

28 April 2011

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 N0174251304008031228A
Kate Middleton and Prince William have been making last-minute preparations for the royal wedding

She is set to become a princess, her every move watched by two billion people.

But on her last day as a commoner, Kate Middleton showed no sign of nerves, smiling broadly as she ran through the meticulously-planned ceremony one more time.

Meanwhile, her husband-to-be delighted crowds waiting patiently on The Mall by embarking on an impromptu walkabout. Looking relaxed and happy, William chatted with fans on both sides of the street and took time to pose for pictures.

He repeatedly leant in to the crowd to chat and listen to the young and old wishing him well.

Details of Friday's ceremony were released along with a message from Prince William and his future bride revealing they have been "incredibly moved" by the affection shown to them since their engagement. In the message, in their official wedding programme, the couple say they are touched by people's reactions as they prepare for "one of the happiest days of our lives".

Those preparations included a final pre-ceremony visit to Westminster Abbey for Kate, best man Prince Harry, bridesmaids and pageboys and members of the princess-in-waiting's family. All will play key roles in the wedding service, a traditional affair with a strong flavour of "Britishness".

William and Kate's message reads: "We are both so delighted that you are able to join us in celebrating what we hope will be one of the happiest days of our lives. The affection shown to us by so many people during our engagement has been incredibly moving, and has touched us both deeply."

While the final preparations were completed, the guest list for the event continued to generate controversy, with the Foreign Office announcing the last-minute withdrawal of the Syrian ambassador's invitation in the wake of a bloody crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in his country.

Further questions were also raised about why former Labour prime ministers Tony Blair and Gordon Brown were not invited while Tory counterparts Sir John Major and Baroness Thatcher were. But Mr Blair said he did not mind, insisting it was "not a problem at all".

But political controversy was the last thing on the minds of the growing throng of well-wishers from across the UK and around the world who converged on central London ahead of the wedding.

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:12 pm

Camilla's royal wedding dress designer revealed

By Sarah Karmali, Apr 28, 2011

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 Camillaroyalweddingfull
Be my Valentine. Photo:PA

No surprises here! It's been confirmed that Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, will be wearing Anna Valentine to the royal wedding tomorrow.

Having chosen the British designer for her own nuptials back in 2005, the royal has long been a firm fan of Valentine's - and is often seen wearing her creations to official royal engagements.

"I love dressing the Duchess," Anna has said in a previous interview.

"She gives us a lot of her own input, but is always very happy for us to suggest things. She likes something understated and well tailored with a nice detail. Nothing too flouncy."

According to Women's Wear Daily, there are no more details as yet, as to what Camilla's royal wedding outfit will look like - but all will be revealed in a matter of hours!

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:16 pm

Wedding snub for Syrian ambassador

29 April 2011

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 N0154641303944433772A
Syrian ambassador Sami Khiyami - pictured meeting the Queen - has had his invitation to the royal wedding withdrawn

The Syrian ambassador's invitation to the royal wedding has been withdrawn as the controversy over his planned attendance threatened to overshadow the big day.

Amid mounting criticism of the decision to include Sami Khiyami on the invitation list, Foreign Secretary William Hague decided the day before the ceremony that his presence would not be "acceptable".

His invitation, when Britain is at loggerheads with Damascus over the bloody crackdown on protesters against President Bashar Assad, had sparked fury, particularly among Labour supporters angry that former prime ministers Tony Blair and Gordon Brown were omitted from the guest list.

In a statement, the Foreign Office said representatives of all countries with which the UK had diplomatic relations had been invited. "An invitation does not mean endorsement or approval of the behaviour of any government, simply that we have normal diplomatic relations with that country," it went on.

"In the light of this week's attacks against civilians by the Syrian security forces, which we have condemned, the Foreign Secretary has decided that the presence of the Syrian ambassador at the royal wedding would be unacceptable and that he should not attend.

"Buckingham Palace shares the view of the Foreign Office that it is not considered appropriate for the Syrian ambassador to attend the wedding."

The ambassador said he found the withdrawal of the invitation "a bit embarrassing" but he was not surprised or disappointed. "I find it a bit embarrassing but I don't consider it a matter that would jeopardise any ongoing relations and discussions with the British Government," he told BBC Radio 4's The World At One.

Asked whether he understood the controversy surrounding his invitation, he said: "Well, I don't really understand it, but I understand the influence of media on government decisions."

The withdrawal of the ambassador's invitation came soon after former Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said the authorities should have found a way to ensure he did not attend.

Mr Straw said he believed a way could have been found to avoid the attendance of Dr Khiyami, who was summoned to the Foreign Office on Tuesday to receive a dressing-down over his government's handling of protests.

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:21 pm

Wedding bound! The Beckhams depart LA ahead of the big day

By Katie Jones, Apr 28, 2011

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 Beckham-family-airport-284
The Beckham family depart LA for London. Photo: KMM-Fox-Merino-Lins/X17online.com

Britain's second most famous family were spotted making their way to London yesterday, ahead of the royal wedding on Friday.

Victoria lead the clan in an all black ensemble but in true VB fashion, her baby bump was cleverly hidden behind the crocodile skin 'superbag' from her new handbag range. The Beckham boys continued to impress in the style stakes too and once again, Romeo gave his dad a run for his money in a fedora and baggy jeans.

Now we just have to wait and see what the Beckhams will be wearing on the big day. We've heard a rumour that Victoria might be wearing a poncho; definitely something worth watching out for tomorrow.

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:26 pm

Huge security operation under way

29 April 2011

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 N0178511304042372281A
Police officers carry out security checks on drains and lamp posts along the Mall in central London

Britain's biggest security operation in a generation is under way, with 5,000 police officers following strict orders to deal "robustly, quickly and firmly" with any threats against the wedding of the century.

As the attention of the world fixes on London, detectives have thrown a multimillion-pound ring of steel around the event.

They appealed to the public to be the police's "eyes and ears" to help keep troublemakers at bay.

Snipers are taking to rooftops and undercover officers are mingling among the crowds as part of a massive covert and overt operation to avoid an atrocity.

Security against potential threats from al Qaida-inspired extremists, dissident Irish republican terrorists, anarchists and even lone stalkers is being balanced with the desire to let onlookers enjoy the day of pageantry.

Around 70 people are banned from the City of Westminster as part of their bail conditions after being arrested or charged over various previous alleged disorder offences.

But despite up to 80 VIPs requiring personal protection, no intelligence has suggested that police need to use anti-terror powers as hundreds of thousands arrive in the capital for the event.

Assistant Commissioner Lynne Owens, who is leading the major security operation, said supporters converging on the city should enjoy the event while staying alert.

"If you see anything or anyone in the crowd that is acting suspiciously, please bring it to the earliest attention of our officers. They are there to help you," she said. "We are very clear that we want this to be a safe, secure and happy event, and we intend to act robustly, quickly and firmly if anyone engages in any criminal activity."

In the wake of disturbances at the recent TUC marches and student protests, officers are paying close attentions to the movements of anarchist groups.

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:30 pm

Pub bans royal wedding celebrations
29 April 2011

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 N0141731303899579509A
A Derby pub has banned customers from talking about the royal wedding

Billions of people around the world will watch as Prince William and Kate Middleton tie the knot on Friday.

Except in one pub, where bosses have banned anything royal wedding-related.

At the Alexandra Hotel in Derby, the words "royal" and "wedding" are banned, with customers ordered to donate to a "swear box" if they slip up.

The TV will be turned off, there is no bunting adorning the building, and even the pub brewery's specially-created ale Kiss Me Kate won't be served.

Landlords Ralf Edge and Anna Dyson, who are getting married themselves next year, said they decided to make the pub a royal wedding-free zone after hearing their customers complain about the royal wedding fever spreading across the country.

Miss Dyson, 33, said: "We have a lot of male customers and a lot of them were coming in complaining about how much they had to listen to talk of the royal wedding.

"We hadn't really got any plans for the day anyway, so we decided to ban it. We've made this a safe haven for our customers so it's somewhere they can go without hearing, or seeing, or talking about it."

And the plans have already gone down a storm: "They're loving it, they have all said they'll be in on Friday. We're not going to have the telly on, we've got no bunting. It's just another normal day."

Any customer who utters the words "royal" or "wedding" will be expected to donate £1 to the swear box, with money raised going to the Nightingale Macmillan Unit at the Royal Derby Hospital, Miss Dyson said.

Kiss Me Kate - created by Castle Rock Brewery especially for the royal wedding - is being taken off the pumps at the Alexandra Hotel on Friday.

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:41 pm

William and Kate are man and wife

29 April 2011

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 N0187591304076047655A
William and Kate leave Westminster Abbey following their wedding ceremony (AP)

Prince William and Kate Middleton have been pronounced man and wife as they married in a historic fairytale ceremony at Westminster Abbey.

The future king and his beautiful bride, who will now one day be queen, pledged their love for one another in the ancient surroundings, watched by billions across the globe.

In a stunning ivory gown with lace applique floral detail designed by Sarah Burton at Alexander McQueen, Kate walked up the red carpeted aisle a commoner. But with her new husband at her side and a ring on her finger, the former Miss Middleton became HRH the Duchess of Cambridge - William was earlier made a duke by the Queen.

Kate leaves the abbey a princess, the newest member of the Royal Family and a future Queen Catherine.

She was dubbed "Waity Katie" for her patience during her long courtship with William as she waited for her prince to pop the question.

Now she has finally become a royal wife. As she recited her vows, William smiled encouragingly.

The service was flawless but there was a tiny moment of drama as the prince struggled to place the wedding ring on Kate's finger.

After the couple said their vows, in which the modern-thinking bride did not promise to obey William, the Archbishop of Canterbury declared: "I pronounce that they be man and wife together, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen."

Cheers erupted down The Mall and across the country as their union was sealed in front of a congregation of 1,900, with an estimated TV audience of two billion watching around the world.

In the presence of the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Wales and Kate's parents Carole and Michael Middleton, William placed Kate's simple gold wedding band on her finger.

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  LaRue Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:55 am

Oh it was lovely, it really really was.

LaRue
Suzerain Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:22 am

I enjoyed it. I thought the music chosen for the service was beautiful, the choir and orchestra brilliant.

Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:05 am

Kiss me Kate - as thousands cheer

29 April 2011

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 N0190041304080690887A
Prince William kisses his new bride Kate on the balcony of Buckingham Palace

William and Kate have sealed their love with not one but two kisses on Buckingham Palace's famous balcony.

Some 500,000 well-wishers roared their approval outside the palace and along The Mall as the newlyweds exchanged their first kiss. Many in the crowd were shouting "kiss, kiss", as the bride and groom appeared with their families.

And then as an RAF flypast swept towards the palace, the couple kissed for a second time. Never before had they displayed such affection to each other in front of the world.

Later, William drove his new wife Kate out of Buckingham Palace in a convertible Aston Martin - with the number plate "JU5T WED" on the back. Best man Prince Harry and other family and friends tied balloons to the back of the car.

A St James's Palace spokesman said: "It was Prince William's idea to drive his new bride away from the official reception on their first journey as a married couple to his family home."

In tribute to the happy couple, the RAF flew overhead in a yellow rescue Sea King helicopter - as a special surprise for the bride and groom. It was in honour of William's job as a RAF search and rescue helicopter pilot.

The future king and his beautiful bride, who will now one day be queen, pledged their love for one another in the ancient surrounds of Westminster Abbey, watched by millions across the globe.

In a stunning ivory gown with lace applique floral detail designed by Sarah Burton at Alexander McQueen, Kate walked up the red-carpeted aisle a commoner.

With her new husband at her side and a ring on her finger, the former Miss Middleton left the abbey as HRH the Duchess of Cambridge - William was made a duke by the Queen on Friday morning.

A congregation of 1,900 and up to two billion people saw their vows, as they were beamed live around world. The Metropolitan Police estimated that crowd numbers peaked at one million along the route to the abbey, with around 500,000 people in and around The Mall trying to catch a glimpse of the couple's kiss.

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:10 am

Light-hearted moments raise smiles

29 April 2011

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 N0188961304078423206A
Prince William took a moment to put the wedding ring on Kate's finger

The young bridesmaids and page boys behaved themselves - but despite military-style preparations there were still a few minor slips and light-hearted moments on the big day.

Prince William momentarily struggled to get the wedding ring on his bride's finger, and the slim band of Welsh gold needed a little coaxing before it slipped into place.

The groom also joked about the massive scale of the occasion - which was watched by a global television audience - with his new father-in-law moments before the service began.

According to a lipreader, the prince told Michael Middleton: "We're supposed to have just a small family affair."

William's cousin, Zara Phillips, and her rugby player fiance Mike Tindall got a fit of the giggles as the newly-married couple and their witnesses went off to sign the registers.

And after the wedding Prince Philip struggled to get into his coach, which threatened to topple over as he put his foot on the step to climb in.

AOL

Last edited by eddie on Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:16 am; edited 1 time in total
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:15 am

Man held over 'suspicious photos'

29 April 2011

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 N0180211304060312148A
A policeman stands guard on The Mall (AP)

Royal wedding police used anti-terror powers to arrest a man spotted taking suspicious photographs.

He was held by officers after taking pictures of transport hubs and security personnel in the Charing Cross area. Police sources said the man was likely to be released without charge.

The incident is understood to have taken place before the wedding, which saw the biggest security operation in a generation.

The security operation has been hailed as a "huge success" as police delivered on their promise to deal robustly with potential wedding troublemakers.

Police revealed they had made 45 arrests among the crowd to ensure the event went smoothly. Officers swooped on two minor anti-wedding protests in central London but said scenes were calm.

The arrests were made "within and outside the event footprint", said Scotland Yard.

Offences included an allegation of a sex attack on a 14-year-old girl, criminal damage and 25 breaches of the peace. Some 99 people were banned from the City of Westminster, where more than 5,000 officers were deployed.

Cheering crowds were separated from the road along which the royal couple travelled by two sets of barriers several feet apart. Officers stood at regular intervals along the route, many enjoying jokes with well-wishers.

Witnesses on the ground said the two central London protests were good-natured but police were known to be keeping a "close eye" on events. About 10 masked anarchists from the Right Royal Orgy Group gathered in Soho Square, while the Red Lion Square group were said to be from the Republican Tea Party.

Ten of the suspects were arrested at Charing Cross railway station carrying climbing equipment and anti-monarchy placards, police revealed later.

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:22 am

William becomes Duke of Cambridge

29 April 2011

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 N0180371304060796719A
William and Kate will become the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge

Prince William has been made the Duke of Cambridge on his wedding day by his grandmother the Queen, Buckingham Palace announced.

The royal groom was given a dukedom - the highest rank in British peerage - to mark his marriage to Kate Middleton. Miss Middleton will now become Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cambridge on her marriage at the much-anticipated ceremony in Westminster Abbey.

William also became the Earl of Strathearn and Baron Carrickfergus, which means Kate will become the Countess of Strathearn and Baroness Carrickfergus.

All titles are in the gift of the Queen and it was up to the monarch to choose which one to bestow on her grandson and his new wife. But William's thoughts will also have been taken into account by the royal matriarch in a private discussion between the Prince and his grandmother.

Tradition dictates that royal men receive a title on their wedding - and often more than one.

Buckingham Palace said in a statement: "The Queen has today been pleased to confer a Dukedom on Prince William of Wales.

"His titles will be Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn and Baron Carrickfergus. Prince William thus becomes His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge and Miss Catherine Middleton on marriage will become Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge."

As well as a duchess, Miss Middleton is also technically Princess William of Wales.

According to protocol, she is not officially Princess Catherine as she was not born a princess in her own right. Instead she adopts her husband's first name, in the same way as Princess Michael of Kent, who married the Queen's cousin Prince Michael of Kent.

But it is likely that in the eyes of the media and public, she could always be known as Princess Catherine or Princess Kate.

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:28 am

Sarah Burton finally speaks out about the royal wedding dress

By Libby Banks, Apr 29, 2011

Bread and Circuses: The Royal Wedding - Page 2 Sarah-burton-talks-royal-wedding-dress
Alexander McQueen's Sarah Burton speaks out about creating the royal wedding for Kate Middleton. Photo: PA

Alexander McQueen's Sarah Burton has finally broken her silence about the royal wedding dress that she designed for Kate Middleton. "It has been the experience of a lifetime to work with Catherine Middleton to create her wedding dress, and I have enjoyed every moment of it" she said today. Burton was spotted smoothing the Middleton's bridal train at Westminster Abbey this morning, confirming the rumours that Alexander McQueen was behind the dress. "It was such an incredible honour to be asked, and I am so proud of what we and the Alexander McQueen team have created."

Burton added that she is "delighted that the dress represents the best of British craftsmanship. Alexander McQueen's designs are all about bringing contrasts together to create startling and beautiful clothes and I hope that by marrying traditional fabrics and lacework, with a modern structure and design, we have created a beautiful dress for Catherine on her wedding day."

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next