all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Multivision Programme I Last Eye-gested

+12
retrato hablado
glue moon
specialman
LaRue
Dick Fitzwell
sil
Lee Van Queef
ISN
Nah Ville Sky Chick
felix
eddie
precinct14
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Multivision Programme I Last Eye-gested Empty Re: Multivision Programme I Last Eye-gested

Post  precinct14 Thu May 26, 2011 6:20 am

The singular interpretative puissance of Bill Shatner's version of Tambourine Man becomes better understood with every repeated viewing of the above clip. If only he and Larry Hagman had duetted You've Lost That Loving Feeling after a nicely loaded lunch.....
precinct14
precinct14
Coming up empty from the piggy bank?

Back to top Go down

Multivision Programme I Last Eye-gested Empty Re: Multivision Programme I Last Eye-gested

Post  eddie Thu May 26, 2011 11:17 pm

The week before last I forked out £145 to renew my annual TV Licence, a legal requirement for all households/businesses in the UK with a functioning TV set- a tax, in fact, to keep the BBC up and running.

I'm a defender of public sector broadcasting in principle, but over the past few years I've really started to question whether the service I get is worth that sum of money. What am I getting for my dosh?

1. I listen to BBC Radio 5 Live.

2. I'm not a regular supporter of any particular football team any more, but if there's a big match scheduled I might watch it.

3. Some- but by no means all- of my News/Current Affairs data comes from BBC TV News broadcasts. But I often check out the Internet and print media, too.

4. I watched the Royal Wedding, for its curiosity value.

5. Have I Got News for You? is more of a mug of comfy Ovaltine than the cutting-edge satirical show it once was- but I very occasionally watch it.

6. I've somehow lost track of the current Dr Who series because I work shifts.

7. The occasional movie.

8. The pop Archaeology show Time Team, of which I'm a bit of a fan, is made by the commercial TV Channel 4.

9. What else? CSI & House (do) get my occasional attention.

But really, that's about it...

It doesn't add up to £145 worth of annual viewing & listening pleasure, that's for sure.

eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  felix Fri May 27, 2011 12:11 am

Hmmm scratch

40p per day.

How much to see a film at the cinema?: Or to rent or buy the DVD of same?

How much for a daily 'news' paper?

How much for a pint? In a pub? From the offie? From your cutprice booze retailer?

How much for 20 fags?

Blimey, how much for a cuppa? In a posh caff? In a greasy spoon?

40p for one day's Radio 4, let alone the rest, seems pretty reasonable from here. cat
felix
felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Fri May 27, 2011 12:29 am

I think I get my money's worth as well. I listen to Radio 4 from 7.30 a.m. to 7.45 p.m. most weekdays. TV doesn't quite get so much attention, although I like a good BBC drama.
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Fri May 27, 2011 12:42 am

^^

OK, Felix and Nash, you've convinced me.

Just hacked off that I seem to have done nothing over the last couple of weeks but pay bills, bills, bills...

And when I think of the alternative- a Murdoch-dominated media- I tremble.

So yes, you're right.

Apologies for the grumpiness.

eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  ISN Fri May 27, 2011 12:44 am

is there any substance around the idea that because the BBC is a non-commercial station without advertising it's more neutral?

is it still true that it isn't biased?

isn't it good to have an organisation that hasn't been raped, pillaged, sold off to the highest bidder in the name of privatisation and deregulation?

a really 'public' entity......

you could really bemoan the state of British television - but Australian TV is absolute crap......it's become more Americanised and fake every day....

I don't watch it.....(although of course I watch it at work)

I need an aerial in order to see if there's anything half decent to watch these days - Michael's going to get me one

the BBC is admired the world over

and with its website - it's more than just a TV station - I used to listen to some of my favourite radio shows on the website.....when I first moved to Sydney........

although I found Channel 4 to be brilliant - especially it's independent movie service when I lived in London

posted at the same time as Eddie......
ISN
ISN
Endlessly Fascinating

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Fri May 27, 2011 12:50 am

It's probably a sign of advancing middle-age that one tends to think that things were better... back then.

But does my initial grouse contain a germ of accuracy?

There really is an awful lot of rubbish on TV, isn't there?

But then, I suppose, there always was.

eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  ISN Fri May 27, 2011 12:57 am

I think it goes in stages.....like the 70s/80s with Dynasty, Dallas, all those classic American cop shows

we were more tolerant then - we'd bloody need to be it was so bad.....even though we look back on it with nostalgia

but really the BBC raised the bar

it has affected and influenced the quality of TV stations around the world......

Australia modelled its non-commercial station on the BBC (ABC) and SBS, the worldclass station here for immigrants and others that had so much foreign content, was definitely influenced by the BBC - unfortunately we're axing all the good stuff and going for the common denominator of American crap like CSI and American-influenced homegrown reality type shows.....like Farmer Wants a Wife......and Simon Cowell inanity......

they seem to think this is what most people want.......(or cynically there's more advertising money in it)

it would be hard to dumb-down the Australian public much lower but they are trying

ISN
ISN
Endlessly Fascinating

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Fri May 27, 2011 6:22 am

£145 is a ridiculous amount of money. Considering pretty much every single person has a TV, it ends up being a compulsory 'tax'.

I am a huge supporter of the BBC and believe it is something that Britain can be very much proud of. But it has far too much popular crap that could be on other channels. It is often competing with other channels and spending huge amounts of money to do so. Why? That is not it's job.

This annoyance of mine has only expanded since they have started implementing cuts. First thing they thought about cutting was Asian Network radio station, which I imagine costs sod all. Why not cut Radio 1, which offers little to no public service? They better not fucking touch Radio 3 or 4 though!

Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  felix Fri May 27, 2011 7:59 am

Lane Coutell wrote:£145 is a ridiculous amount of money.
Is it buggery!

Your other points are well made, but 40p per day a ridiculous amount of money? Multivision Programme I Last Eye-gested 2116463008
felix
felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Sun May 29, 2011 12:04 am

felix wrote:
but 40p per day a ridiculous amount of money? Multivision Programme I Last Eye-gested 2116463008

But you don't pay by the day!
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  felix Sun May 29, 2011 11:44 am

Lane Coutell wrote:
felix wrote:
but 40p per day a ridiculous amount of money? Multivision Programme I Last Eye-gested 2116463008

But you don't pay by the day!
affraid
felix
felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Back to top Go down

Post  sil Sun May 29, 2011 8:52 pm

Last thing I watched on TV

Multivision Programme I Last Eye-gested Barcelonachampionsleagu

cheers
sil
sil

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Sun May 29, 2011 10:54 pm

guacamayo wrote:Last thing I watched on TV

Multivision Programme I Last Eye-gested Barcelonachampionsleagu

cheers

Incredible stuff, what a team. Congrats. Cool
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  sil Sun May 29, 2011 11:08 pm

Yep, Barça played well yesterday, a pleasure to watch... and celebrate drunken
sil
sil

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:40 am

Ice Road Truckers pale

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:32 am

felix wrote:Hmmm scratch

40p per day.

How much to see a film at the cinema?: Or to rent or buy the DVD of same?

How much for a daily 'news' paper?

How much for a pint? In a pub? From the offie? From your cutprice booze retailer?

How much for 20 fags?

Blimey, how much for a cuppa? In a posh caff? In a greasy spoon?
We do not have to pay a licence for tv in Australia .The ABC is Government funded . SBS and the commercial channels are funded by adverstising . A few years ago it was estimated that 8 cents a day per person was the cost of the ABC to Australians .
Despite the ABC now showing 4 channels I do not think the public funding is any more . In fact it would probably be less now.
40p for one day's Radio 4, let alone the rest, seems pretty reasonable from here. cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:54 am

^^

Dear Oldman

Are you trying to increase your post count just by quoting other posters? cyclops Suspect
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:43 pm

Nah Ville Sky Chick wrote:^^

Dear Doc

Are you trying to increase your post count just by quoting other posters? cyclops Suspect
Certainly not .
Something strange happened . I used a quote then added to it , about Australia , however something went wrong and it all came out as a quote.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:38 pm

I think that government funded television or radio is one of the worst possible ideas any human has ever conceived of.

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:04 am

I watched "Four in a Bed" whilst I was having lunch.
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:19 am

just flicking through channels last night ,came across a weird program called "Embarrassing Bodies !

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:21 am

Doc Watson wrote:just flicking through channels last night ,came across a weird program called "Embarrassing Bodies !

I saw that once, it was dreadful. Was yours an Australian version or British one?
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  ISN Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:33 am

Doc Watson wrote:just flicking through channels last night ,came across a weird program called "Embarrassing Bodies !

we do embarrassing bodies at work - I haven't seen it

but my friend captioned an episode last week - and there was an adult male circumcision on it....... affraid
ISN
ISN
Endlessly Fascinating

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:03 pm

Nah Ville Sky Chick wrote:

I saw that once, it was dreadful. Was yours an Australian version or British one?
It was the British one. I hope there is not an Australian one.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum