Ian McEwan is back

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ian McEwan is back

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:57 am

But it is more than the kid's agitation that restrains Sebastian. There was a general view, strongly held in the staff room, that crime, especially burglary and mugging, was caused by social injustice. Robbers are poor, they've never had the right chances in life and can hardly be blamed for taking what isn't theirs. This is Sebastian's view too, though he's never given the matter much thought.

In fact, it isn't even a view, it's a general atmosphere of tolerance that surrounds decent educated people. Those who complain about crime are likely to complain also about graffiti and litter in the streets and hold a whole set of distasteful views on immigration and the unions, tax, war and hanging. It was important therefore, for the sake of one's self-respect, not to mind too much about being mugged.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Re: Ian McEwan is back

Post  eddie on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:45 am

Ive decided after some decades that, however interesting a stylist IM might be, his is not a mind in which I wish to spend any more time. Slick but sick, in a phrase.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:09 am

I recently re-read 'Atonement'. I had completely forgotten quite how terrific the first half was. It's fantastic. Similary, I seemed to have also forgotten quite how bloody boring and dissapointing the second half was. A shame.

Eddie, whilst understanding where you are coming from, I think you are doing him a disservice with the phrase 'slick but sick'. If not a disservice, then it is at the very least it's an outdated description of his work. He hasn't done a dark ("sick") novel for well over a decade now I don't think. Although, in truth I haven't read his latest.

Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:46 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top