all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

avatars and masks - Page 2 Empty Re: avatars and masks

Post  Guest Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:18 am

Hi asdf...I'd never heard of this book before (from this web site: http://dithob.blogspot.com/2009_09_20_archive.html)

The Mysteries of Carl Jung and His "Red Book"

avatars and masks - Page 2 9780393065671-3
Above, page from Carl Jung's Red Book.

From the Philemon Foundation, which is devoted to publishing the full collection of the works of Carl Jung, including "the Red Book": "During WWI, Jung commenced an extended self-exploration that he called his “confrontation with the unconscious.” During this period, he developed his principal theories of the collective unconscious, the archetypes, psychological types and the process of individuation, and transformed psychotherapy from a practice concerned with the treatment of pathology into a means for reconnection with the soul and the recovery of meaning in life. At the heart of this endeavor was his legendary Red Book, a large, leather bound, illuminated volume that he created between 1914 and 1930, and which contained the nucleus of his later works. While Jung considered the Red Book, or Liber Novus (New Book) to be the central work in his oeuvre, it has remained unpublished till this day, and unavailable for study and unseen by the public at large. The work can be best described as a work of psychology in a literary and prophetic form. It is possibly the most influential unpublished work in the history of psychology. Its publication is a watershed that inaugurates a new era in the understanding of Jung’s life and work.

The years … when I pursued the inner images were the most important time of my life. Everything else is to be derived from this. It began at that time, and the later details hardly matter anymore. My entire life consisted in elaborating what had burst forth from the unconscious and flooded me like an enigmatic stream and threatened to break me. That was the stuff and material for more than only one life.

Everything later was merely the outer classification, the scientific elaboration, and the integration into life. But the numinous beginning, which contained everything, was then.”
— C. G. Jung

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:41 am

...another image from The Red Book'

avatars and masks - Page 2 Image-from-redbook

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:44 am

The Red Book:

avatars and masks - Page 2 Jung-tree-redbook

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:39 pm

I had read about the red book. I guess you didn't because it wasn't published until 2009.

Some more things Wiki says about it:

Biographer Barbara Hannah, who was close to Jung later in his life, compared Jung's experiences to the encounter of Menelaus with Proteus in the Odyssey. Jung, she said, "made it a rule never to let a figure or figures that he encountered leave until they had told him why they had appeared to him."

and also

The Red Book was a product of a technique developed by Jung which he termed active imagination. As Jung described it, he was visited by two figures, an old man and a young woman, who identified themselves as Elijah and Salome. They were accompanied by a large black snake. In time, the Elijah figure developed into a guiding spirit that Jung called Philemon (ΦΙΛΗΜΩΝ, as originally written with Greek letters). Salome was identified by Jung as an anima figure. The figures, according to Jung, "brought home to me the crucial insight that there are things in the psyche which I do not produce, but which produce themselves and have their own life."

The Philemon figure represented superior insight and communicated through mythic imagery. The images did not appear to come from Jung's own experience and Jung interpreted them as products of the collective unconscious.

blue moon wrote:transformed psychotherapy from a practice concerned with the treatment of pathology into a means for reconnection with the soul and the recovery of meaning in life.

That's why I like Jung. I don't know if he was wrong but at least it's something interesting to be explored (reconnection with the soul just sounds good hehe)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2