all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best 10 films

2 posters

Go down

Best 10 films Empty Best 10 films

Post  Constance Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:08 am

...Or any number of your favorite films.

On the old ATU we had just before we lost the forum a thread on people's favorite films.

Can we do the lists again please? I'd love to get some recommendations.

I remember one poster had a list of heavy, gruesome, action-packed films, and then, toward the end of the list, was Annie Hall!

My favorite films are all Woody Allen's films, and predictably, all the new great dramas out of China.

Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Best 10 films Empty Re: Best 10 films

Post  Constance Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:42 am

Thanks for the lists, guys! I'll definitely use them.

We used to rent films through the mail with Blockbuster, which just closed, so my husband is signing up for Netflix. The first film I'm going to order is Mao's Last Dancer, adapted from the book, and a true story.
Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:40 am

Here's one maybe you haven't heard about, it is my brother's favorite movie: Victor Erice's The Spirit of the Beehive. I saw it today again... very beautiful.

"I once showed a dozen or so classic non-American films to students at the Royal College of Art. To my surprise, despite the fact that the list included the work of such world-renowned directors as Luis Buñuel, Satyajit Ray and Kenji Mizoguchi, the film they fell in love with was Victor Erice's The Spirit of the Beehive. They rightly thought it close to magic. It is one of the most beautiful and arresting films ever made in Spain, or anywhere in the past 25 years or so." - Derek Malcolm

The movie is now 39 years old

Best 10 films YXfZ5Hbw

It takes place in a small town in Spain after the civil war. It is about a little girl, Ana (Ana Torrent). "She sees James Whale's Frankenstein, and is beguiled by it; it enters her imagination."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:35 am

Run Lola Run left me cold... maybe I wasn't inspired that day

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:38 pm

Zulu
Performance
Casablanca
Polanski's Macbeth
The Wicker Man
The Exorcist
Jaws
The Long Good Friday
The Lavender Hill Mob
The French Connection

^
Impossible task, of course. A completely arbitrary selection of the first titles to come into my head. Tomorrow I'd select a different Top 10.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks for the recommendations! (I haven't seen or even heard of some of these films.('Embarassed') Now I have a lot of fun viewing in store for me!!

(I also love Casablanca.)
Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down