all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

+6
ISN
tigerlily
tatiana
felix
Nah Ville Sky Chick
eddie
10 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  ISN Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:49 am

Ode To Ma Toes

Born free
As free as the wind blows
As free as my toes grows

another wunnerful peom by Cath
ISN
ISN
Endlessly Fascinating

Back to top Go down

Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden. - Page 2 Empty Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  Guest Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:20 pm

ISN wrote:Ode To Ma Toes

Born free
As free as the wind blows
As free as my toes grows

another wunnerful peom by Cath
]I will accept your world on that even if it is self praise.

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:29 pm

This weekend we've had snow in London.

Quite reassuring in a way because it's been very odd to see daffodils and crocuses blooming in January.

Suspect
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:15 pm

sunny and warm here today

this was the best winter ever

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:20 pm

There's general disbelief here that London's Heathrow airport cancelled 50% of scheduled weekend flights.

Of more immediate personal concern is that once more Tower Hamlets council has failed to grit the pavements (US trans: sidewalks), making a stroll to the shops a risk to life and limb.

Snow in February! Astonishing! Noone could possibly have foreseen that. Suspect

Last edited by eddie on Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:06 am

pinhedz wrote:Past tense? Shocked

Well I don't know if it's spring yet, but it sure ain't winter

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:44 pm

eddie wrote: pavements (US trans: sidewalks)
Aus. trans: footpaths

Although it's flooding in the south of the state, it's been an unusually dry Wet Season here in North Queensland.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:12 pm

currently I have growing strawberries, potatoes , tomatoes .sweet corn , rhubarb , capsicum, water mellon , pumpkin and marrow

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:51 pm

It will be 50 degrees F today. I have hope that spring will be here before too long. I'm still walking my dog about a mile and a half every day. I check the sunrise and the sunset every day in the paper. Today it rose at 7:20 and sets at 5:12. Much better so far than the dark days of December when it rose at 7:19 and set around 5:50
Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:52 pm

Doc, what are capsium and marrow?
Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:08 am

blue moon wrote:

Although it's flooding in the south of the state, it's been an unusually dry Wet Season here in North Queensland.

lol, they call them pavements? They're sidewalks, they're MADE OUT OF pavement. brb calling cars "big metals" because thats what theyre made out of

silly limeys

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:42 am

Constance wrote:Doc, what are capsium and marrow?
Capsicum are I think members of the tomato family . They are sometimes called peppers , they can be yellow green or red, mine are green . Narrors are in the pumpkin family and they are similiar in appearance to large zucchini.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:24 pm

Paladin wrote:
blue moon wrote:

lol, they call them pavements? They're sidewalks, they're MADE OUT OF pavement. brb calling cars "big metals" because thats what theyre made out of

silly limeys

'sidewalk'...you walk on your sides? Shocked
Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden. - Page 2 5d15a8f4-631a-4bcf-85c6-94c2025715c9

'footpath'...we use them as paths for our feet! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:28 pm

No, we don't walk on our sides...we walk on THE side...OF THE ROAD, where the sidewalks are

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:42 pm

Paladin wrote:No, we don't walk on our sides...we walk on THE side...OF THE ROAD, where the sidewalks are
...ahh. Thanks for the clarification paladin.
...so is a sidewinder an old-fashioned watch?

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:14 pm

blue moon wrote:
Paladin wrote:No, we don't walk on our sides...we walk on THE side...OF THE ROAD, where the sidewalks are
...ahh. Thanks for the clarification paladin.
...so is a sidewinder an old-fashioned watch?

Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden. - Page 2 7BjS4

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Constance wrote:I check the sunrise and the sunset every day in the paper. Today it rose at 7:20 and sets at 5:12. Much better so far than the dark days of December when it rose at 7:19 and set around 5:50

In London:

SUNRISE: 7.22AM
SUNSET: 5.06PM

At work it's been absolutely freezing, with temperatures in the Aldgate booking hall colder than the street outside: all that Art Deco tiling and stone floor slabs, with the void of a Tube tunnel rather than solid earth beneath one's feet. The station is open to the elements at front and rear, so the wind chill factor is impressive too.

I've been on the 'dead late' shift all week. I've never been so cold in my life. Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden. - Page 2 90771731

If I wore any more layers of clothing it would be impossible to bend at the waist.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:04 am

Segovia
Sunrise: 7:14
Sunset: 17:43

similar to Constance's
Where do you live, Constance? (if you don't mind telling)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:05 am

blue moon wrote:'sidewalk'...you walk on your sides? Shocked
Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden. - Page 2 5d15a8f4-631a-4bcf-85c6-94c2025715c9
Laughing alien

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:55 am

eddie wrote:
Constance wrote:I check the sunrise and the sunset every day in the paper. Today it rose at 7:20 and sets at 5:12. Much better so far than the dark days of December when it rose at 7:19 and set around 5:50

In London:

SUNRISE: 7.22AM
SUNSET: 5.06PM

At work it's been absolutely freezing, with temperatures in the Aldgate booking hall colder than the street outside: all that Art Deco tiling and stone floor slabs, with the void of a Tube tunnel rather than solid earth beneath one's feet. The station is open to the elements at front and rear, so the wind chill factor is impressive too.

I've been on the 'dead late' shift all week. I've never been so cold in my life. Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden. - Page 2 90771731

If I wore any more layers of clothing it would be impossible to bend at the waist.

Ed I'm sorry it's so cold for you! I hope the warm weather comes soon!

I made a mistake with the sunrise in my post. I said the sun rose at 7:20 which is much better than the latest sunrise at 7:19. Makes no sense. No, the sun is rising at about 6:57-8 and rises a minute or two earlier each day. I can definitely notice the difference when I have to get the big girls up at 6:15. The sun is setting at about 5:20.

When we switch the clocks to daylight saving time I will be happy. It will still be light at 6:30 in the evening. This will make a big difference for me. I've been having trouble at night. Not that I can't drive, but people behind me have been blaring their horn and flashing their lights to try to make me go faster. On Fridays I have to drive Elisabeth home from her guzheng lesson at 5:30. We take a highway that was never meant for fast cars. It's called the Taconic State PARKway. The cars zoom past me at incredible speeds. I can't believe there aren't multi-vehicle accidents. The harassing drivers are really getting to me. I have as bad or worse a time when I drive Julia home from a class at 6 pm on Monday. The ride goes through dark windey country roads and there is always someone tailgating me. It's really scary!
Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:00 am

Ed, I think you should stay bundled up. That's awful that you have to up at night. It is so much colder here at night. When I have to let the dog in or out I catch the air and it is so freezing. But it has been in the high 40s when I walk the dog and I still wear a big insulated coat I bought from Lands' End last winter. Today I read that the warm spell is supposed to end today with the possibility of snow.
Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:03 am

It's supppsed to Warm up again on Wednesday.

Today: A chance of snow showers, mainly before 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 36. North wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18. North wind between 9 and 14 mph.

Sunday: A slight chance of snow showers after 1pm. Increasing clouds, with a high near 28. Northwest wind between 14 and 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18. West wind between 6 and 13 mph.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 37. West wind between 7 and 14 mph.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 24.

Tuesday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 40.

Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24.

Wednesday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44.

Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 45.

Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29.

Friday: A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:15 am

What was I talking about! In my first post I had the sunset time a whole hour wrong for December. In December it set at 4:50!

Vera, I live 46 miles north of Manhattan. It is still somewhat country with cows and farms but there has been so much growth from when I moved up here in 1985. New houses. I am treated like an old-timer in the shops and by service people. The new house moms pick their kids up at school in high heels and makeup.

When I first moved up here there were about 3 intrepid commuters who took the diesel train into Manhattan for a 2 hour trip. Now the electric train gets there in 1 1/2 hours and there are more than a hundred commuters. When I need to get to the city I drive. Without traffic it talkes just under 1 1/2 hours.
Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:26 am

Alright! Let's try to get this right! From today's paper (Saturday):

Sunrise: 6:56
Sunset: 5:25

It is slightly snowing outside. You can hardly see it. Too cold to go our with the dog today. High 39 (not awful. Someone with more stamina would go out today).
Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:51 pm

^

The inevitable has happened and I'm coming down with a cold. This is really very annoying because I have six days leave from Tuesday and I'd hoped to complete the opus magnum. The last thing I need at this stage is a bad cold.

Two of the four gateline staff at Aldgate have already booked off sick. Anwar appears to have winter vomiting sickness, while Basil (mysteriously) has been hiccuping for two days straight:

- Train to Victoria? (hic). Platform One (hic) Nine Minutes (hic).

The Accident & Emergency Dept. at the Royal London Hospital has prescribed tablets which make it dangerous to drive or operate machinery. They cause drowsiness too- but that would be nothing unusual as far as Basil is concerned.

Management, naturally, are highly displeased. Perhaps I should book off sick too? That would really set the cat amongst the pigeons.

eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next