all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Koerner, Ray and Glover

2 posters

Go down

Koerner, Ray and Glover Empty Re: Koerner, Ray and Glover

Post  felix Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:21 pm

pinhedz wrote:pinhedz

Ever been to Stepan Wirz’s site? It’s a thing of beauty--hundreds of discographies with all the album art.

A labour of love, pinz. (Coincidentally, I supplied Stefan with a scan of the sleeve of Advent Records' 1966 'John Lee Hooker & His Guitar' album - sleeve drawing by my old friend, the late Ray Topping.)
felix
felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Back to top Go down

Koerner, Ray and Glover Empty Re: Koerner, Ray and Glover

Post  Alouette Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:16 pm

pinhedz wrote:pinhedz
Thu May 01, 2008 5:05 am

In "Chronicles" Bob Dylan explains how he learned about folk music in Minnesota around 1959-1961 from musicians and record collectors near the University of Minnesota. He said he played with John Koerner (Bob remembers this better than Koerner does) and that Dave Ray had the only 12-string guitar in Minnesota. Bob got a guitar lesson from Koerner (maybe Bob's only lesson) and he hid in Ray's basement when he was being chased by some fraternity boys after he stole their food.

Koerner and Ray played with blues harp player Tony Glover, and they made this record together (David Bowie said in Fortune Magazine that it's one of his favorites):

Koerner, Ray and Glover Brh

In this picture, they are down by the Mississippi River flats, watching a police car drive up. The policeman wants to know why they are fooling around amongst some old abandoned warehouses. They said they were having their picture taken.

There is so much to tell, I won't be able to tell it all at once. But Koerner and Glover are still alive--here they are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po6L_rDrw_4&feature=related

Thanks for all the links and info on this thread Pinhedz.
Did not know much about these guys before. They sound great.
Alouette
Alouette

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum