all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What does Iranian folk music sound like?

Go down

What does Iranian folk music sound like? Empty What does Iranian folk music sound like?

Post  Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:53 am

I was investigating about flamenco and found this cd labelled as origins of flamenco.

Hossein Farjami plays Santoor - Folkmusic from Iran

The Santoor is one of the oldest instruments known in the world, originationg in the Middle-East. It is amongst the simplest stringed instruments, belonging to the category of zithers, and is struck with two hammers called "mesrabs". The name Santoor first appears in a poem by a 11th century Iranian Manucheri. The instrument itself, however, was not depicted until a 13th century drawing. The wal paintings of Chehel Sotun, the "catalogue" of Sfavid musical instruments, also depict the Santoor and it is later found in paintings and photographs from Qasar period. In the 20th century the Santoor has gained great popularity and is now one of the major instruments in Iran. It is also played in many different countries with only slight variations in form. style or technique.

The Nagmeh Esfahan
Esfahan was the capital of Iran during the Safavid period (16-18 centuries) and is architecturally the most beautiful city in Iran.

The name Esfahan is found in lists of Dastgah-ha used during Medieval period in Iran.

I just noticed it says: "Recorded at Blue Moon Studios" alien

Back to top Go down

What does Iranian folk music sound like? Empty Re: What does Iranian folk music sound like?

Post  Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:13 am

...what a great sound. I love it. Especially the beginning.

I was thinking how much the beginning of your first post in the spain thread reminds me of a muezzin call to prayer.

Back to top Go down

What does Iranian folk music sound like? Empty Re: What does Iranian folk music sound like?

Post  Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:23 am

What does Iranian folk music sound like? SANTOOR_JOZA
Description: Santoor & Juza, Traditional Irqi musical instruments

...the juza looks like a Chinese intrument called an erhu...such a lovely sound...very emotional
What does Iranian folk music sound like? Erhu1

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:28 am

blue moon wrote:I was thinking how much the beginning of your first post in the spain thread reminds me of a muezzin call to prayer.
In that thread I also posted a video of Enrique Morente and an Algerian raï singer, Cheb Khaled, singing together in la Alhambra if you're interested.

Raï music is like folk music from Algeria, Morocco...
Cheb Khaled is known as the king of raï music

I wish I could understand what he sings...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:00 am

according to this blog: http://www.arabicmusictranslation.com/2007/03/cheb-khaled-wahrane-wahrane.html

Cheb Khaled - Oran, oh Oran
شاب خالد - وهران وهران
Wahrane, Wahrane
Translated by Chris

Wahrane is the Arabic name for the city known in English of Oran on the coast of Algeria. It was the birthplace of Rai, however, when an Islamist party took power in Algeria during the mid 90s many of the musicians left the country because the government became hostile towards them. This song was recorded by Khaled after he left, and reflects the nostalgia and longing that many emigrants to France and other countries from North Africa experience, living in what is known in Arabic as el-Ghorba (الغربة) that should be understood as "estrangement," "homesicknees," or "being far away from home and out of place."

There are extra verses in the live performance, which is much more recent than the album version upon which these lyrics are based. However, I don't have the lyrics for these extra verse nor do I understand them.

Cheb Khaled - Wahrane, Wahrane

Wahrane, Wahrane you went to hell
All the clever people left you
They remain homesick and confused
And this homesickness is hard and traitorous

My happiness is with the children of el Hamri (a district of Oran)
Children of the city and Sidi el Houari (a neighborhood in Oran where Khaled was from)
I spent my youth with them
My art is for them for all my life

How beautiful are the nights my country
The flutes and drums echo
Oh those who are going to her
Ask them to take care of my country

I'll never forget my country so long as I live
My land and the land of my ancestors
I asked my family about the people
They've left their religion and turned to the bottle (litearlly, followed the cup)

A dozen cups on the table
Drank ten of them with no effect
Sorry for the the empty space
Her beauty was a wondrous beauty

Sadness entered in my heart
And so I cry and call out

شب خالد - وهران وهران

وهران وهران رحتي خساره
هجروا منك ناس شطارى
قعدوا في الغربه حيارى
و الغربه صعيبه و غداره

يا فرحي على اولاد الحمري
اولاد مدينه و سيدي الهواري
عديت معاهم صغري
لهم فني طول عمري

ما احلى صهريات بلادي
القصبه و القلالي صادي
يا اللي ماشين ليها غادي
وصوا يتهلوا في بلادي

عمري ما ننسى بلادي
أرضي و أرض اجدادي
وصيت اهلي على الناس
تركوا دينهم و تبعوا الكاس

يا الزينه بالكاس و المايده
راه عشره بلا فايده
وعدي على الطحطحه وعدي
كان زينها زين الودادي
رجعت غمه في فؤادي
وليت نبكي و ننادي

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:09 am

Thank you very much, Moony

I once tried to find his songs translated but only found it in French

Edit: Maybe I should change the title of the thread but I don't know how to call it... folk music generated from muslim countries? scratch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:15 am

asdf wrote:Thank you very much, Moony

I once tried to find his songs translated but only found it in French

...a song of exile.

on this site http://www.allthelyrics.com/forum/arabic-lyrics-translation/72657-cheb-khaled-rouhy-ya-wahrane.htmlthere's a good discussion and interesting translations. This translation is from there:

Rouhy ya Wahrane rouhy besslama....go Oran go, go goodbye
Elguelb li kan yebghik ana nekouih...i will burn the heart that once loved you
Da3ouet lejdoud ana rahi meblia....The prayers of our ancestors are like addiction
Ejma3 li t3adda ana ra teddih....What got us together, i will get red off.

Febled warhane keterou lhozzya....In the city of Oran, a lot of gangs grew and a lot of arrivists..
Lakhor menna ou ouahed melheh....one is from here the other is from there
Ydellou ytaou3ou felboulisia.....They look for trouble with the police
Ouida tah ellil ana nkhaf a3lik....And if the night comes, in ur place i would be afraid to walk alone in the streets
Hetta el hemri oulla Chicago....Even El Hemri (a neighborhood in Oran) became like Chicago
Ellil m3a nhar errsas e3ayat fih....Night and day, it's fighting, it's war
Ydellou ytaou3ou felboulisia....They look for trouble with the police
Ouida tah ellil ana nkhaf a3lik....And if the night comes, in ur place i would be afraid to walk alone in the streets.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:17 am

...the two translations are very different, so I'm confused now.

edit: just noticed the second translation is from 'Cheb Khaled - Rouhy ya Wahrane', so maybe a different song.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:47 pm

blue moon wrote:edit: just noticed the second translation is from 'Cheb Khaled - Rouhy ya Wahrane', so maybe a different song.
I have found it on youtube and it is the same song...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:50 pm

"A very famous kurdish family (from Kurdistan of Iran) who play very good traditional music"

Wiki:

The Kamkars (Kurdish: Kamkaran کامکاران, Persian: کامکارها ) is a Kurdish family of seven brothers and a sister, all from the city of Sanandaj, the capital of the Kurdistan provence. They are one of the leading musical ensembles in Iran today. Their repertoire ranges from the vast array of traditional Kurdish and Persian music with its poignant, entrancing melodies and uplifting high energy rhythms to the classical Kurdish and Persian classical music of Iran. The repertoire of Kurdish music is richly diverse and deeply-rooted in the ancient history and culture of its proud and passionate people. It speaks of epic tales and wars, romantic love, and recounts ancient myths and stories of national and religious heroes, some of which date back to thousands of years to the time of the ancient Medes (the ancestors of the Kurds)."

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down