World Gone Wrong

View previous topic View next topic Go down

World Gone Wrong

Post  Lee Van Queef on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:57 am

Always an excellent album to listen to when you get in a bit late and are as pissed as a rat.

Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Re: World Gone Wrong

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:01 am

Dylan was really a big deal in the 1960s. He was seen as a leader of the surly Youth Movement, and his music using electricity was thot to be highly original, tho for the most part it was really familiar blues boogies and race musics with snotty, quasi-atonal vocals on top, delivering lyrics that combined condescension with gibberish and fashionable urban hipster posturing. The lyrics were inspired by a group of smelly American poets from the 1950s, and the music too, really, was from the 1950s, so his blazing originality really consisted of combining two well known cultural forms from the 1950s.

That is telling, because Dylan is sort of grumpy, and escapes from the irritating present by always pretending he is in the 1920s, or the 1860s or some other previous duration. But this is sort of a good thing, because studies show Americans have poor historical knowledge, even of their own countries, or states or counties, so someone like Dylan with a history fixation who becomes real famous is a good thing I think. Even though to laypersons The Greatful Dead seem like psychedelic hippies who "jam" for a long time with mediocre solos, they too have a strong historical sense, and obviously the Graitful Dead and Bob Dylan would chat about old songs and swap tab charts etc. Because of their strong historical sense, and commitment to their craft over decades, I think Bobert Dylan and Greatful Dead really stand out from the other big American rock acts from the Johnson and Nixon administrations.

But anways, Dylan was really a big deal in the 1960s, and so a lot of people tend to think his music from the 1960s was the most towering, supreme, and really nice. But that's not true. He really started to find a more original, robust, wise, and integrous "voice" starting with ERG MERCY!!! But the problem was that the French Canadian producer was stuck on the image of the 1960s subculture prophet icon Dylanoid, so he kept trying to get Dylan to do protesty and/or bathetic type material, and you see, that's not really Dylan, certainly not after age 24 approx. But AH MERCY!?! began the process of Zylan finding his mature, bitchin, formidable "voice" and virtuosity.

And the cover albums I'VE BEEN GOOD, WHORE and THE WORLD IS SHIT, SLUT furthered this process at an even more faster clip. [around this time he did an album called BAKED IN A PIE, some like Koko B. Ware think it is grand, but it really is a warm-up for the later master strokes. Because French Canuck made Dylan be all somber and mopey on AH MERCY!?! then the followup BAKED IN THIS PIE led bored Dylan to do a lot of silly stuff and stuff for juvenile moppets who understand English].

But then Dylan enters his most supreme accomplished master fase with MIND THE TIME BEFORE YOU DIE SIMPLETON, ""THE THIEF'S WHORISH LOVERS AND THE PLAIGIARISM HE EMPLOYS TO SELL DISCS,"" MODREN SHITTY TIMES THAT AREN'T AS GOOD AS THE PREVIOUS TIME WHEN YOU COULD BUY RACIST POSTERS AT THE POST OFFICE, CELEBRATING THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY WITH OLDE CHRISTMAS SONGS, and most recently SIGH, TOGETHER WITH TARTS. He also released a collection of sundries from this late master period called THE TALE OF TIME PASSING AND IRRITABILITY - ANOTHER JAPANESE MONEY-MAKING STRATEGEM--- I've listened to that one a whole lot, and I would strongly recommend itt to grumpy jews who like the "epsilon" blues.

This elderly period is easily the best because the arrangements and musician-craft are generally strong compared to the Zimmlan canon, the lyrics are considerably wiser, funnier, more eloquent etc compared to early period where he was singing about Obsidian Cancer Monks in the Crankshaft Valley of the Missing Links, or about how someone dissed him and that person really has a lot of gall or nerve.

And Dylan didn't take care of his voice, so in the elderly phase, he's really raspy and phlegmy but 1)this fits in with his style of pretending he is a drunken boxcar hobo afflicted with organ failure, oppressed by corrupt systems of powerr and 2) aside from vocal kord deterioration, his vocals are the strongest of ever - in terms of nuance, deftness of dramatic control vis a vis conveying different characters and archetypes thru songform, and funnily enough his pitch control is also the most superior during this old age phase, even with the limitations of his body falling apart etc.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:10 am

Back to top Go down

Post  TinyMontgomery on Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:11 am

This is easily one of the most insightful and funny texts about Dylan I've ever read!

TinyMontgomery

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:10 pm

Well how gracious. That post was written by Lopez. We're sharing some computer accounts, on account of that serious injury caused by Chalupa which I earlier mentioned. O. Jeez. Do not get me started. LOL. Haeh. These hot-hedded latins may be trying sometimes, but ultimately there is much I admire in the basic Mexicano family structure, or as they call it, La Familia. La vida. Mas fuerte. Que tal mas y menos.

LOL, Lopez says I should post this foto "somewhere" on the "internet : "

I don't get it but whatever.

The previous poster's username reminds me of a song by ben Gurion from the so-called "Cellar Sessions," recorded by eccentric Ontarioian organist Garth Brooks at that fateful sweat-lodge in Shawangunk, Ulster County during the legendary Summer of Brackishness. I might say that the Cellar Sessions, now available in the new digipak format, are the only Dylanical canonical component that could rival the imposing Quadrilogy of Cheeky Regret, which Lopez described, which began in Earnest with THE HIGHLANDS double album from Sony during the late 1990s.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:01 pm

Nestor says I might mention that Lopez refers to Chalupa as "CHALUPITA"

You probably know why...

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  precinct14 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:09 am

Would it have been too much to ask him to re-interpret the entire album on his recent performance in Beijing, and simply remove the second 'r' in the title, by way of finding a new slant- nay, slit- on a new World order?

precinct14
Coming up empty from the piggy bank?

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:13 pm

500,000,000 people can't all be Wong.

Then again, maybe they can. pirat

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down