all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robert Johnson recording speed controversy

Go down

Robert Johnson recording speed controversy Empty Re: Robert Johnson recording speed controversy

Post  felix Mon May 23, 2011 9:21 pm

felix
felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Back to top Go down

Robert Johnson recording speed controversy Empty Re: Robert Johnson recording speed controversy

Post  felix Mon May 23, 2011 10:48 pm

I heard similar - not one of the, imo, ridiculous circa 20% adjusted efforts, but a carefully checked-out remaster by a Sony/Columbia technician, who adjusted some of the takes by a small amount to compensate for slight speed errors, the 'correct' speed being determined by referencing the wave form of an existing electricity supply hum present on the original masters. Dunno where I saw this at the mo. But I imagine the new release is the official 100th Birthday celebration set.
felix
felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Back to top Go down

Post  felix Mon May 23, 2011 11:04 pm

^ Not Sony/Columbia, it seems, but these people: http://www.pristineclassical.com/LargeWorks/Jazz/PABL002.php

I have also, in preparing this release, been able to make minor speed corrections to some of the tracks, basing my conclusions on analysis of electrical mains hum harmonics found buried in many of the tracks, and repitching to between 0.2 and 2.5% (where a semitone is approximately 6%).

EDIT: there's an unscientific stab at slowing down the rwo King of the Delta Blues Singers albums here: http://globalgroovers.blogspot.com/2010/05/robert-johnson-king-of-delta-blues.html

felix
felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down