all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the Stones

5 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

the Stones - Page 3 Empty Re: the Stones

Post  eddie Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:17 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVj8Sh4phzM
Champagne and Reefer- Buddy Guy and the Rolling stones.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  tatiana Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:59 pm

listening to
get of my cloud now and just finished voodoo lounge

now paint it black......
tatiana
tatiana
Tigre-de-Music

https://www.soundawesome.com/listeners/isis7475

Back to top Go down

Post  tatiana Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:26 pm

it is the singer not the song.
tatiana
tatiana
Tigre-de-Music

Back to top Go down

Post  tatiana Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:42 pm

blinded by rainbows
tatiana
tatiana
Tigre-de-Music

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:10 am

tatiana wrote:blinded by rainbows

Stones fan though I be, Mr Jagger's analysis of the Irish Troubles is pretty clunky. The line about the Semtex bomb is particularly dreadful. What a Face
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:39 pm

Ronnie Wood retracts Rolling Stones reunion comments

Guitarist reprimanded by Mick Jagger for saying the Rolling Stones were about to enter the studio to work on new material

Sean Michaels

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 17 April 2012 11.31 BST

the Stones - Page 3 Ronnie-Wood-and-Mick-Jagg-001
'I didn’t mean to say things out of line' … Ronnie Wood told off by Mick Jagger for Rolling Stones comments. Photograph: Lehtikuva Oy/Rex Features

Ronnie Wood has apologised for saying the Rolling Stones were about to enter the studio, explaining his announcement was premature. "I just expressed my personal view," he said. "Then they took it all wrong."

Earlier this month, Wood said the band had plans to reprise their December jam session and "throw some ideas around" in the studio. To prepare for the Stones' 50th anniversary, he said, "you've got to go into training". Wood was merely corroborating recent remarks by Keith Richards, who said he and Mick Jagger would be living in New York this spring. "We're planning to get things going," Richards told Rolling Stone magazine. "We'll just get the boys back together again then and maybe cut a side."

Unfortunately, no sessions seem to be taking place; worse, the Stones' frontman reprimanded Wood for his comments. "I heard from Jagger," Wood told Billboard. "He's going, 'What the hell?! We don't know anything yet!' And I said, 'You know what [the media] are like.' So I have to make a personal apology to the rest of the band. I didn't mean to say things out of line."

Although the Stones will celebrate their anniversary, the band's plans remain undecided. "Whatever is going to be done," Wood said, "we will know in the next few months."
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Rolling Stones Exile on Main Street book to become Virgin feature film

Richard Branson company to produce feature film based on Robert Greenfield's book about chaotic making of classic album

Henry Barnes

guardian.co.uk, Monday 23 April 2012 13.16 BST

the Stones - Page 3 Mick-Jagger-Keith-Richard-008
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards having a mellow moment at Villa Nellcôte where they recorded Exile On Main Street. Virgin Produced is to make a feature film based Robert Greenfield's book. Photograph: Dominique Tarlé/LD

A book detailing one of the most tumultuous periods of The Rolling Stones is set to be turned into a film via Richard Branson's production company Virgin Produced, reports Deadline Hollywood.

Robert Greenfield's Exile on Main Street: A Season in Hell with the Rolling Stones examines the troubled genesis of the group's 10th UK album. The critically acclaimed record that includes the hits Rocks Off and Tumbling Dice, was made during recording sessions that were notoriously chaotic. The band, who had left Britain as tax exiles, decamped to the Villa Nellcôte in the south of France to record the double album. Drugs, alcohol and a stream of visiting celebrity friends (including William S Burroughs and Gram Parsons) were constant distractions, while the relationship between Mick Jagger and Keith Richards was at a particularly low point. It is thought the film will focus on tussles between the lead singer and the guitarist, although no casting has yet been announced.

A previous documentary about the making of the album, Stephen Kijak's Stones in Exile, coincided with Exile on Main Street's remastering and re-release in 2010.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uudCxfC7x1s
Backstage- Partying with the Stones in 1981.

The flock of sheep is a nice touch. Very Happy
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:44 pm

I see Stanley Booth's "True Adventures of the Rolling Stones" has had a welcome re-issue:

the Stones - Page 3 GetImage?Source=BERT&Quality=WEB&Component=FRONTCOVER&EAN13=9780857863515
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  tatiana Tue May 01, 2012 11:46 pm

The Rolling Stones - Scandinavian Tour - 1965

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=VhnJzHkXsRM
tatiana
tatiana
Tigre-de-Music

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sun May 06, 2012 8:59 pm

Rock'n'roll adventures of the Rolling Stones

Stanley Booth's 1984 book about the Rolling Stones, reissued this month, gives a glimpse of the group in their heyday to those doomed to know them only as the biggest heritage act

Richard Williams

guardian.co.uk, Friday 6 April 2012 22.54 BST

the Stones - Page 3 Mick-Jagger-on-stage-at-A-008
Mick Jagger on stage at Altamont as violence breaks out. Photograph: AP

The small man with carefully brushed long hair and tinted glasses sat quietly as the band played a competent version of "Little Red Rooster". He and a friend, into whose ear he occasionally directed a comment, were among the few occupants of a small area of the room roped off for VIPs. On this night in March 2012, the 75-year-old Bill Wyman was the guest of honour at an event to celebrate the golden jubilee of the Crawdaddy Club, where his former group, the Rolling Stones, played their first residency.

the Stones - Page 3 The-True-Adventures-of-the-R
The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones
by Stanley Booth

It had all begun at the Station Hotel, Richmond, an unknown group in front of an audience that started in single figures but grew so quickly that within weeks the landlords began to fret about rowdiness and pulled the plug. The musicians decamped to the nearby Richmond Athletic Club, where trad bands had previously held sway, and spent several months establishing themselves as the first among equals of the new wave of rhythm and blues groups arising from the rich alluvium of the Thames Delta: the Yardbirds, the Downliners Sect, the Pretty Things.

This was where Wyman was sitting last month, under the same low ceiling, with fellow celebrants leaning against a bar decorated – then as now – with rugby club memorabilia. He was listening to a musician a couple of decades younger than himself, a man with long grey hair scraped back in a ponytail, stroking out the bottleneck guitar phrases once played by Brian Jones on the song – borrowed from the repertoire of the blues singer Howlin' Wolf – that, after the Stones had played it on Ready Steady Go!, became their first No 1 hit.

"At Richmond we became a sort of cult in a way," Charlie Watts told Stanley Booth, the author of The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones. "When the last encore would die down, you were nearly dead with sweat, you can't do more than four hours, and they had to shut the place up." Keith Richards put it more succinctly. "This," he told Booth, "was where we stabbed Dixieland jazz to death."

The Stones were sniffing the scent of real success as rivals to the Beatles when they played the Athletic Club – where there was no stage, so they had to set up their instruments on the same level as the audience, who could dance within inches of the musicians – for the last time in November 1963. The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones, first published in 1984, carefully pieces together the story of the group's swift rise, but its real purpose is to describe, from an unusually intimate perspective, the existence of the group at the end of the Sixties, when they were at the height of their power and notoriety.

By far the best work on its subject (including Richards's own well received effort), Booth's book is also easily the most convincing account of life inside the monster created by the rock revolution of the 1960s. The author, a Georgia boy who had vowed at the age of 15 "to become a writer or die trying", was fiddling about with journalism as a prelude to a literary career when he secured a trip to England to write a magazine piece about the Stones in 1968, meeting the group briefly and covering Jones's trial for possession of drugs.

"I wrote a story," he recalled, "but I had only glimpsed – in Brian's eyes as he glanced up from the dock – the mystery of the Rolling Stones." A year later, with a contract to explore the mystery further and turn his article into a book, he joined them on the tour that would end at Altamont, the free festival at which the hopes and dreams of the hippie era came to a bloody end.

The Stones took to Booth right away: he looked and dressed like them, he spoke with the genuine Southern accent that Jagger could only counterfeit, and he took all manner of drugs with them. He had lived in Memphis, and his understanding of the music that had inspired them was first-hand, unlike that of the swottish English blues fans who could only wait for records to come from America, using them as the measure by which to pronounce judgement upon the Stones' musical authenticity. "I had managed," he writes, establishing his bona fides, "to sweep the streets with Furry Lewis, throw up at Elvis Presley's ranch (overdosed on the painkiller Darvon by Dewey Phillips, the first man to play an Elvis record on the radio), drink Scotch for breakfast with BB King, watch Otis Redding teach Steve Cropper 'The Dock of the Bay' and now I was raiding the country with the Rolling Stones."

Carried along by the tide of the tour, he is too cool to ask the kind of questions with which the band are confronted by the straight media (the celebrated gossip columnist Rona Barrett, at a press conference in Hollywood: "Do you consider yourself an anti-establishment group, or are you just putting us on?"). They and their entourage open up to him; Anita Pallenberg, for example, explains the real reason why Jones was missing recording sessions and concerts, allegedly because he had injured his hand in a fall. "Anita told me that Brian had broken his hand on her face, during a fight. 'He always hurt himself,' she said. 'He was very fragile, and if he ever tried to hurt me he always wound up hurting himself.'"

Jones is dead, drowned in his own swimming pool, by the time Booth hooks up with the band in America. Now the author's notebooks started to fill up as joints are smoked on private jets under the eyes of New York police officers hired as security men, cocaine is hoovered up from film canisters, heroin lurks in the background and a fan hands Watts a yellow-green LSD tab. "Charlie asked, 'D'you want it?' 'I ain't too sure about this street acid,' I said. 'Maybe Keith will want it.'" In San Diego, Booth listens as Jagger experiences an important moment of revelation: "'All these kids are so stoned.' It was true, the Stones were for the first time playing to kids who were under the influence of dope."

They are in northern California when Booth notes: "In the early days the Stones could and did handle a riot every night, night after night, kept going, taking no dope of any kind. 'You couldn't,' Keith said. 'You couldn't keep going if you did, not even booze, no pills, nothing.' But in 1969 things had changed. It would be impossible to endure a world that makes you work and suffer, impossible to endure history, if it weren't for the fleeting moments of ecstasy. As you get older, it's harder to cook up the energy, even if your life is composed of distant beaches, soft female skin, plane rides, cold concrete arenas, cops, fatigue, cocaine, heroin, morphine, marijuana, busted amplifiers, riots. You have to get it from somewhere, which is why Jagger said, 'All right, San Francisco, get up and shake your asses.'"

Returning from a concert in Europe the previous year, Jagger had spoken of an increasingly hysterical edge to the communion between the musicians and their fans: "When I'm on stage, I sense that the teenagers are trying to communicate to me, like by telepathy, a message of some urgency. Not about me or about our music, but about the world and the way they live. And I see a lot of trouble coming in the dawn."

That trouble arrives in the hours before dawn at Altamont Speedway, where several hundred thousand kids gather for a free festival destined to end in mayhem and the murder of a young black man, stabbed and kicked to death by members of the Hells Angels who had been unwisely invited to police the stage. Booth's account, assembled from the evidence of his own eyes and those of other tour members, is a descent into the inferno, with a bizarrely poignant moment when Jagger, attempting to calm things down, summons the memory of afternoons by the wireless during his Dartford childhood and asks: "Now, boys and girls, are you sitting comfortably?"

As the Angels' dying victim is carried away and thoughts turn to evacuating the group from the crime scene to their waiting helicopter through a landscape that will become familiar from movies set in post-apocalyptic worlds, Booth clings to his vantage point behind the amplifiers, listens to his travelling companions pound "Street Fighting Man" to a conclusion, and glimpses a truth that will evade subsequent generations doomed to see the Rolling Stones only in vast modern stadiums, acting out their latter-day role as the biggest and best heritage act of all. "No one," he writes, "could say that the Rolling Stones couldn't play like the devil when the chips were down."
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  tatiana Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Woo wrote:All hail the king and queen:

the Stones - Page 3 1295889145
tatiana
tatiana
Tigre-de-Music

Back to top Go down

Post  felix Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:39 am

Thankyou kindly, Mr Woo! And one good Mick n Turner deserves - well, anuvver innit:

Live Aid '85

felix
felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Back to top Go down

Post  senorita Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:33 am

Dreaming of Svetlana gets my rocks off. Oh my!

senorita
senorita

Back to top Go down

Post  senorita Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:46 am

I have a friend who recently told me that he thinks that Bruce Springsteen & E Street is the best Rock and Roll band ever. WTF! I'm gonna have to replace him with someone who is sane.

We need a swaying lighter emoticon.

senorita
senorita

Back to top Go down

Post  senorita Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:35 am

senorita
senorita

Back to top Go down

Post  senorita Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi Nah. I want you to whip me, your crazy monkey boy.
senorita
senorita

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:59 am

Last edited by Bot Walker on Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  felix Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:36 am

Sister Morphine (Jagger/Richards/Faithfull) - original.
felix
felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3