Current Events

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Current Events

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:55 am

Pence’s grand slam punctuates Giants rout of Dodgers in AT&T opener
4:48 pm, Thursday, April 7, 2016

Attention National League: The Dodgers do not have 12 Bob Gibsons on their pitching staff. They allow runs, and the 2016 Giants lineup apparently can score them, in bunches if need be.

One moment, the Dodgers were on the verge of setting a season-opening shutout streak. A few blinks later, the Giants had stuck seven runs on the board. With Hunter Pence's grand slam in the eighth, Thursday’s home opener became a rout.

The Giants won 12-6. That's a dozen runs against a team that allowed none in a three-game sweep at San Diego to start the season.

The Giants also handed one of their former players, Dave Roberts, his first loss as Dodgers manager.

The Giants needed 15 hitters in the fifth and sixth innings to score seven runs on Alex Wood and Yimi Garcia and light a spark under the 41,940 fans who rechristened AT&T Park for 2016.

In those two innings, Joe Panik tripled, singled, scored twice and drove in two, Buster Posey had two RBIs with a double and single and Angel Pagan hit the two-run single that gave the Giants a lead.

The Dodgers were ahead 4-0 and two outs from tying the 1963 Cardinals for the most shutout innings to start a season, 32, when the Giants suddenly set Wood afire.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Re: Current Events

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:43 pm

Seattle's Dae-Ho Lee (Lee Dae-Ho), a fat 33 year-old Korean, just hit a home run against the Oakland Athletics.  Next up in the lineup is Nori Aoki, the small and plucky Japander who played for SF last season.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:55 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:11 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mack on Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:01 pm

What does it all mean ?

Old Mack

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:41 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:14 am

o wow, things are really coming down to the wire for King Felipe

C'MON KING FELIPE!

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:08 am

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russia-s-military-just-bought-five-bottlenose-dolphins-it-won-n560471

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu May 05, 2016 6:51 pm

Shocking revelation- legendary bounty hunter Boba Fett originally designed to be the big bad

It appears that this May the Fourth Star Wars Day – like a Yoder of holidays – is already proving to the fandom that there is still much that we do not know about the Original Trilogy films. Consequently, the helmeted visage of the mythos’ silent, stoic schlepper of carbonite captives in Boba Fett may never be looked upon the same way again!

In an interview published by Inverse, Craig Miller> a former Lucasfilm advisor and fan relations officer who was one of the original public relations people, dropped an edifying bombshell about the galaxy’s most notorious hunter of bounty/booty. It seems that plans going into The Empire Strikes Back and subsequently Return of the Jedi (née Revenge of the Jedi,) involved Fett being elevated as the main villain of the trilogy-closing latter film. While Miller's job back in the day actually involved spreading false rumors in fan magazines, mixing them with legitimate reports, he now confirms the veracity of the idea that big plans were initially in the works for Boba Fett. According to Miller:

“Originally Boba Fett was set up in Empire as a character, and the third movie’s plot was going to be more about Boba Fett, rescuing Han Solo and all of that. Boba was gonna be the main villain… That was set up, why he was taking Han Solo away, why there was a thing with him in the Christmas special.”

While 1983’s Jedi obviously saw the conclusion of the classic films, it seems that plans with Boba Fett (Jeremy Bulloch) as the big bad were made under the context of George Lucas’ grandiose ambitions to churn out as many as three separate (immediately subsequent) Star Wars trilogies. However, the plans revealed by Miller now explain that Fett’s carbonite kidnapping of Han Solo at the end of Empire was actually designed to preview the primary plot of the Original Trilogy’s third act; a film that was to solely focus on the caper: spring a statue-ized Han from a badass Boba’s clutches.

In hindsight, this makes sense, especially considering the almost quasi-viral way in which Boba Fett was introduced in an animated segment of the notorious 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special. Indeed, nearly two years before he appeared onscreen in Empire (he would later be retconned into 1997’s A New Hope Special Edition), Fett was the central villain of the animated short where, introducing himself to a planet-stranded Luke Skywalker as a friend with Rebel sympathies, he was ultimately exposed as an Imperial freelancer when R2-D2 intercepted a transmission with Darth Vader. Based on what we now know, that proverbial seed planted in the Holiday Special (and I'm not talking about Bea Arthur,) was to be a sneak preview of sorts, introducing Fett as the next major antagonistic force in the Star Wars mythos.  

So, what happened? I mean, Kenner even made Boba Fett the coveted mail-away action figure in 1979 to further build his hype! Well, while we’re currently in the midst of a third trilogy, it was Lucas’ own fatigue and franchise ennui that ultimately nixed his plans to tackle multiple Star Wars trilogies in a row. Thus, the Original Trilogy closer that we got in Return of the Jedi ended up becoming a mad scramble to tie-up several of the loose ends that were originally planned to unravel in a more methodical, slow-burn manner. It all would have potentially led into a version of the Sequel Trilogy that would have climaxed with Luke Skywalker’s final showdown with Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatines, upon which the Rebellion would achieve their final victory.

Consequently, the abbreviated Star Wars mythos led to the built-up and heralded Boba Fett getting a disappointing demotion in the category of storyline importance. This, of course, led to Fett's ignominiously comedic demise on Jabba the Hutt's desert skiff in which Han Solo (accidentally) damaged Fett’s rocket pack, sending him to the bottom of the McSarlacc Pit to be digested over a thousand years (although the currently non-canon Expanded Universe has documented his survival).

Of course, Boba Fett’s legend still managed to grow in spite of his botched big bad prospects. He will likely be the main character of one the upcoming spinoff films and his image is almost as synonymous with Star Wars as Darth Vader, himself. Nevertheless, on this Star Wars Day, it’s still fun to reflect on what could have been, but never was.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat May 07, 2016 1:18 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue May 10, 2016 9:05 am

PORTLAND –- There is a 50-50 chance that Stephen Curry will join his teammates Monday night when the Warriors face the Trail Blazers in Game 4 of the Western Conference Semifinals.

Curry participated in the team’s shootaround Monday morning, after which he was upgraded from “doubtful” to “questionable.” Doubtful is defined as a 25 percent chance of playing, whereas questionable increases the possibility to 50 percent.

Insofar as there was no live scrimmaging on Monday, Curry’s activity in practice Sunday, followed by a 3-on-3 session, was enough to upgrade his status.

“He came out of that feeling decent this morning,” Warriors coach Steve Kerr said. “He’s going to get treatment, we’re going to talk to our doctors and medical people and we’ll make a decision this afternoon.”

The term “probable" is defined as a 75 percent chance, and the Warriors are hopeful Curry – recovering from a sprained medial collateral ligament (MCL) in his right knee – can reach and surpass that level before Game 4 tips off shortly after 7:30pm at Moda Center.

Asked if Curry would start upon returning, Kerr danced around the subject, which opens the door, ever so slightly, to the possibility of Curry coming off the bench.

“When he plays, whether it’s tonight or Wednesday (Game 5),” Kerr said, “I don’t imagine him playing his usual minutes.”

Curry injured the knee on April 24 during Game 4 of the first round series against the Rockets in Houston. He was diagnosed the next day, with Warriors general manager Bob Myers saying Curry would be reevaluated in two weeks.

It has been exactly two weeks, and the Warriors are hours away from making a final decision on Curry’s status for Game 4.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue May 10, 2016 4:59 pm

#speechless #unprecedented #dauntless #smh #GoldenStateOfMind

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed May 11, 2016 4:08 pm

did the Star-Star Cold War just turn into a hot one?!? Shocked

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed May 11, 2016 7:08 pm

estrelas do mar, it is looking like Presidente Dilma could be in serius trubble, um guisado de tormento

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu May 12, 2016 1:48 pm

^
Is that one of those countries where they never just kick the bums out--they always string them up? Neutral

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu May 12, 2016 3:49 pm

it is a country where feijoada pode ser sorvido no diurna e os vagabundos para aprender uma danca sedutora bounce

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue May 24, 2016 7:38 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed May 25, 2016 4:50 pm

in a stunning development that has shocked the sporting world and indeed the world at large, the Golden Warriors find themselves trailing the Oklahoma City Blunder 3 to 1, in the Western Conference Finals ... following an historic and record-shattering season by the Warriors.

only 2 teams have come back from such a a deficit in the Conf Finals (the Celtics and the Washington Murder Bullets).

and the last time such a comeback occurred, the sport looked like this:

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:35 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:52 am

there was a bad shooting at The Florida Pulse Club early Sunday morning

remember, if you start wanting to kill strangers, don't do it - how would you like it if someone you didn't even know decided to kill you?

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:41 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:
there was a bad shooting at The Florida Pulse Club early Sunday morning

remember, if you start wanting to kill strangers, don't do it - how would you like it if someone you didn't even know decided to kill you?

Back in November, we had been watching a couple of movies together when my boyfriend checked his smartphone one last time as we went to bed. The Bataclan-massacre in Paris. A concert venue in Paris, that could have been me - I remember thinking.

Brussels brought things even closer physically - I live in Antwerp, a 35-minute train ride from Brussels.

Physically Orlando is a lot further of course. But the fact that it was a gay bar under attack brought it actually very close.
In a way, it really feels like an all open attack on 'my people'. And it tells me that not only do I risk to become the random victim of some terrorist attack, me & the ones I love might also become the selected targets of an attack.

I've lived as an openly gay man for so long that it's a subject I actually rarely every think about. It's just a fact about me, just like the fact that I have brown eyes or that I tend to like jazz music. But events such as Orlando suddenly make me very 'gay' again. In the sense that I have to realize, once more, that being a homosexual man means that I could become the target of some murderous lunatic.

Andy
Non scolae sed vitae discimus

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:47 am

to what degree Shooter Omar was gay himself, is still being sussed out

tho it's possible his dozens of visits to gay clubs and usage of gay dating apps (according to witnesses) was purely "research"

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:51 am

I remember there was a holocaust survivor that said "The Nazis made me Jewish, a never really was before."

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:59 pm

shrink on the television - "from what we've learned so far, I would conjecture that Omar wasn't a psychopath, but a narcissist with mood disorder" geek

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy on Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:55 am

pinhedz wrote:I remember there was a holocaust survivor that said "The Nazis made me Jewish, a never really was before."

A feeling I can easily identify with, certainly in the light of recent events.

Andy
Non scolae sed vitae discimus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:05 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top