Tan Fucking Dun

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tan Fucking Dun

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:58 pm

The Banquet ( Legend of the Black Scorpion AKA The Night Banquet) 英雄联盟官方网站,海量风格各异的英雄,丰富、便捷的物品合成系统,游戏内置的 匹配、排行和竞技系统,独创的“召唤师”系统及技能、符文、天赋等系统组合,必将带 Crouching Hero, Hidden Daggers

Last edited by Yakima Canutt on Fri May 22, 2015 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Re: Tan Fucking Dun

Post  pinhedz on Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:42 am

How can a piano do the erhu slides? scratch

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:31 am

斗鱼-全民游戏直播平台提供高清、快捷、流畅的视频直播和游戏赛事直播服务,包含 风暴英雄等各类热门游戏赛事直播和各种名家大神游戏直播,内容丰富,推送及时

Last edited by Yakima Canutt on Fri May 22, 2015 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:40 am

LET ME EXPLAIN THE PROGRAMME

-英雄, as made famous by Ithtzhahk Pearlming

- Fourth Tale of Crane Iron Pentalogy ( Crouched Dragoon) as made famous by cello wielding Yo Ma-Ma

INTERMISSION

CHIMES INDICATING END OF INTERMISSION

-Black Scorpion Hex Defiles Night Banquet Tragedy, as made famous by pianoer Ling-Lang

Last edited by Yakima Canutt on Fri May 22, 2015 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri May 01, 2015 10:13 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:they did like 40 minutes of the thing, and what you post was the worst part.  bats off.  it is a kooky deal cuz it goes between schmaltz like you are posting and then like modren Ligeti poundings and shit.  try again, dont be dis courage
Try again because Yakima can't give a straight answer?

You got yer sliding erhu yer sliding violin and yer sliding cello, I'd say piano man's got some kind of work cut out for him.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Sat May 02, 2015 12:54 am

Don't truly understand what you two are talking about. 
But thank you both for the clips you've posted. 
Your 'shmaltz' yaki is my Magic. 
While I quite enjoy the score, nothing can compare with the erhu. It's irreplacable. 

It belongs with the footage.

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat May 02, 2015 7:49 am

It's one of those age-old questions: the piano is technically a percussion instrument, but anything that can be played on a slidey line instrument can also be played on a piano, if the ivory-tickler has a smooth touch.  Yak seems be be saying he has just listened to such a velvet-fingered maestro.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Sat May 02, 2015 2:25 pm

Thank you for the translation pinz. I agree with Yaki. Is indeed a masterpiece. 
But in my opinion, the erhu is irreplacable in its ability to prtray the tragic. 
It is heartrending as no other instrument can be.

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat May 02, 2015 10:55 pm

Yakima Canutt wrote: ... try again, dont be dis courage ... [img]
Here I see some swordplay--this must be progress.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun May 17, 2015 5:25 pm

the ehru is irreplaceable

except when Zhang Yimou replaces it with a violin

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun May 17, 2015 5:49 pm

er, what i was referring to in April confusingly was that when Tan Fucking Dun is composing for the piano, it will be difficult to avoid temptation to go more Westerny with decadent schmaltz spiced by corrupt avant gardism... hmm, let me back up first, see, Tan Dun was raised by his grandmother in central Hunan, a region with distinct linguistic and folk identity, including a shamanistic culture. Tan Dun was conscripted to "re-education" (i.e., forced labor) to the exhausting toil of rice planting as part of Mao's disastrous "Cultural Revolution" policy. To keep his mind occupied, he listened to and wrote down local folk music.

Tan made arrangements of the tunes using whatever folk instruments and other noisemakers were available (including things such as woks and agricultural implements) creating often fantastic effects. Tan played the erhu, the one-string traditional Chinese fiddle. By the time he was 17, he was the musical leader of the village, playing celebrations, weddings, and funerals. Then a riverboat carrying a Peking-style Chinese Opera troupe capsized, killing many musicians. Tan was immediately sent to join the company as a replacement.

When the Central Conservatory reopened in 1978, Tan won one of thirty slots for composition students over thousands of applicants. He was taught by Li Yinghai and Zhao Xingdao, and visiting lecturers Alexander George, Hans Werner Henze, Chou Wen-Chung, Isang Yun, George Crumb, and Toru Takemitsu. Tan became a leader in a developing "New Wave" of art when he wrote, at age 22, a symphony (Li Sao), based on a fourth century B.C.E. Hunan lament. The work, for western symphony orchestra, won a special "incentive" prize at the first National Symphonic Competition.

Tan received international recognition in 1983 when his String Quartet (Feng Ya Song) won the Weber Prize from Dresden, making Tan the first Chinese composer to win an international prize since the Communist Revolution of 1949. That same year, Party officials initiated a program attacking the New Wave as "spiritual pollution" and specifically cited Tan. But the campaign was canceled, and Tan continued in his chosen path.

His international breakthrough was an orchestral work called On Taoism (1985), inspired by the death of his grandmother. It was recognized as a remarkable assertion of Chinese esthetics and musical material in the medium of the Western symphony orchestra.

Columbia University offered Tan a fellowship in 1986. Tan moved to New York and worked on his doctorate in music. His student-period works are in an international atonal style, but his true nature reappeared in the Eight Colors for String Quartet (1988), using Peking Opera material. Then he wrote Nine Songs (1989), a revolutionary work in the form of a ritual opera using fifty newly created ceramic instruments.

Tan developed a concept of the orchestra as a form of ritual, a major feature of his subsequent work.

Then later he did the Olympics and also some sword-fighting and kung fu films. And a lot of other stuff too.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun May 17, 2015 5:54 pm

the erhu is irreplaceable

That is what composer Giacchino thought when he made the erhu the instrument to represent the planet of the Vulcans.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Sun May 17, 2015 8:30 pm

Thanks so much for that information Yaki. I had never heard of Tan Dun. 
Now I want to seek his work. 
Thank you again. Fascinating post.

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu May 21, 2015 7:13 am

some of the early stuff is more wok & roll

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:33 pm

Sponsored content