all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I convert to the Wicca religion?

2 posters

Go down

Should I convert to the Wicca religion? Empty Should I convert to the Wicca religion?

Post  eddie Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:28 am

Should I convert to the Wicca religion? The_Spiral_Pentacle_by_SingingGandalf
This pentacle, worn as a pendant, depicts a pentagram, or five-pointed star, used as a symbol of Wicca by many adherents.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Should I convert to the Wicca religion? Empty Re: Should I convert to the Wicca religion?

Post  eddie Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:32 am

Wicca (pronounced /ˈwɪkə/), is a modern Pagan religious movement. Developing in England in the first half of the 20th century, Wicca was popularised in the 1950s and early 1960s by a Wiccan High Priest named Gerald Gardner, who at the time called it the "witch cult" and "witchcraft," and its adherents "the Wica." From the 1960s onward, the name of the religion was normalised to "Wicca.".

Wicca is typically a duotheistic religion, worshipping a goddess and a god, who are traditionally viewed as the Triple Goddess and Horned God. These two deities are often viewed as being facets of a greater pantheistic godhead, and as manifesting themselves as various polytheistic deities. Nonetheless, there are also other theological positions within Wicca, ranging from monotheism to atheism. The religion also involves the ritual practice of magic, largely influenced by the ceremonial magic of previous centuries, often in conjunction with a broad code of morality known as the Wiccan Rede, although this is not adhered to by all wiccans. Another characteristic of this religion is the celebration of seasonally-based festivals, known as Sabbats, of which there are usually eight in number annually.

There are various denominations within Wicca, which are referred to as traditions. Some, such as Gardnerian and Alexandrian Wicca, follow in the initiatory lineage of Gardner. Others, such as Cochrane's Craft, Feri and the Dianic tradition, take primary influence from other figures and may not insist on any initiatory lineage.

The application of the word Wicca has given rise to "a great deal of disagreement and infighting". Gardnerian and Alexandrian Wicca are often collectively termed British Traditional Wicca, and many of their practitioners consider the term Wicca to apply only to these lineaged traditions. Others do not use the word "Wicca" at all, instead preferring to be referred to only as "Witchcraft," while others believe that all modern witchcraft traditions can be considered "Wiccan." Popular culture, as seen in T.V. programmes like Buffy the Vampire Slayer tends to use the terms “Wiccan” and "Wicca" as completely synonymous with the terms “Witch” and “Witchcraft” respectively.

(Wikipedia)
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Should I convert to the Wicca religion? Empty Re: Should I convert to the Wicca religion?

Post  eddie Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:35 am

Seems a logical enough step for a recovering Catholic like myself: I simple transmute the Our Fathers and Hail Marys into worship of the Horned God and the Triple Goddess.

Simple! cheers
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:35 am

pinhedz wrote:So it would be something like going on methadone?

Something like that, I suppose, but the women are prettier and less virginal.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:49 pm

Should I convert to the Wicca religion? If_190508_620
Steve Bell, The Guardian.

(Mrs & Mrs Blair made a baby whilst staying with the Queen at Balmoral.)

EDIT: In his post-nuptial rapture, Tony seems to be studying his breakfast kipper with unusual concentration. Shocked
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:33 am

Workmen make 'bewitching' discovery
Press Association

Water engineers have unearthed what could prove to be one of the most infamous sites in England's history of witches and warlocks.

Should I convert to the Wicca religion? UKNews0812201100534810-1_132654

United Utilities' workers were "stunned" to discover a 17th century witch's-style cottage, with a mummified cat sealed into the walls, during a routine construction project in Pendle, Lancashire.

The "spellbinding" find occurred near Lower Black Moss reservoir in the village of Barley, which nestles in the shadow of Pendle Hill - the UK's premier witching hotspot.

Speculation is already rife among local historians that the building could be the lost Malkin Tower - the site of a notorious meeting of the Pendle witches on Good Friday, 1612.

Archaeologists brought in by the North West water firm to survey the area found a remarkably well-preserved building from the 1600s, hidden beneath a grass mound.

The building contained a sealed room, with a mummified cat bricked into the wall. It is believed the cat was buried alive to protect the cottage's inhabitants from evil spirits.

Carl Sanders, United Utilities' project manager, said: "It's not often you come across a fairytale cottage complete with witch's cat. The building is in remarkable condition. You can walk through it and get a real sense that you're peering into the past."

Simon Entwistle, an expert on the Pendle witches, said: "In terms of significance, it's like discovering Tutankhamun's tomb. We are just a few months away from the 400th anniversary of the Pendle witch trials, and here we have an incredibly rare find, right in the heart of witching country."

Frank Giecco, from NP Archaeology, led the team who unearthed the Pendle building.

He said: "It's like discovering your own little Pompeii. We rarely get the opportunity to work with something so well preserved. As soon as we started digging, we found the tops of doors, and knew we were onto something special."
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:40 am

Photographer Lukas Strebel's best shot

'I took the table into the water, climbed on with my broom – and jumped. My girlfriend pressed the button'

Interview by Sarah Phillips

guardian.co.uk, Sunday 18 December 2011 22.31 GMT

Should I convert to the Wicca religion? Lukas-Strebels-best-shot-008
Lukas Strebel's best shot .... Meus Volatus Magicus Supra Antoglyphum. Photograph: Lukas Strebel

Forty years ago, I went travelling with a table. It was an incredible, animal-like object and I carried it around, taking its photograph in different landscapes. I also took along a broomstick in an instrument box. As you can imagine, it was quite amusing going through customs.

I had two sets of horns in different sizes that I would screw on to it and have bullfights with it. At one point, I lost one of its legs: somebody stole it in a pub for fun, and I had to remake it. It was a surreal altar and I called it Antoglyph. Don't ask me why: it just came to me. This picture is entitled Meus Volatus Magicus Supra Antoglyphum, or My Magic Flight Over the Antoglyph.

It was the summer of 1971 and my girlfriend and I were at the Tuscan beach resort of Forte dei Marmi. At the time, many of my contemporaries were very political, but I was somewhat detached and just followed my own instincts. Witchcraft fascinated me, and I wanted to get a picture of myself flying over the table in the sea.

I set up my camera on a tripod, took the table out into the water and climbed on. Then I jumped up while my girlfriend pressed the button. We had just one roll of film: in those days, you couldn't check you had got the shot, so I only found out when I returned to my darkroom two weeks later.

I love the way the sun is right behind me, with water surrounding the table, and you can see its reflection in the sand – all pure coincidence. Most people think it looks like a montage. It's definitely not.

CV

Born: Zurich, 1951.

Studied: Zurich Art School.

Influences: " Duane Michals, Les Krims, Man Ray."

Top tip: "Work out what you are drawn to; capture moments of significance, and use yourphone's camera like a diary."

High point: "Coming back to photography after working in film."

Low point: "Long hours and lots of travel. I have felt very lonely."
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:02 pm

Should I convert to the Wicca religion? 800px-StonehengeSunrise1980s
Sunrise at Stonehenge at the Winter solstice.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:22 am

Should I convert to the Wicca religion? Another-Planet-008
Josie Long
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  precinct14 Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:56 pm

I would consult Wiccapedia first.
precinct14
precinct14
Coming up empty from the piggy bank?

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:47 am

New Glastonbury Holy Thorn damaged

Press Association

Should I convert to the Wicca religion? UKNews1704201217430910-1
Glastonbury's Holy Thorn tree was originally destroyed by vandals in 2010

A Holy Thorn tree planted to replace one destroyed by vandals in 2010 has also been damaged, it has been revealed.

The new tree, planted at Wearyall Hill, Glastonbury, on April 1 to represent one of the UK's most important symbols of Christianity, has been reduced to an 18in stump.

But supporters have said whoever is carrying out the acts will "never destroy what is in people's hearts and hopes".

The original Glastonbury Holy Thorn tree - famous for its link to St Joseph of Arimathea - held a special significance for Christians across the world and was regarded as sacred by many others.

The pilgrimage site in Somerset is visited by thousands of people every year and those who visited the original stump in December 2010 were reduced to tears.

The Glastonbury community awoke on Monday to find the new Holy Thorn had also been severely damaged.

Morgana West, manager of the Glastonbury Pilgrim Reception Centre, said: "Mindless as it seems, they can never damage the Glastonbury Thorn. More than just a tree, it is a symbol of the good things in our community and in the wider world around us. Whilst there are those who might hack away, they can never destroy what is in people's hearts and hopes."

Shockwaves rippled around the community when the original Holy Thorn, which had stood on Wearyall Hill since 1952, was vandalised with a chainsaw during the night of December 8, 2010.

The replacement thorn, which had been blessed in a special ceremony, was protected by a metal cage but this proved ineffective in protecting it.

Whilst not from the 1952 tree, the new thorn was from the lineage of the original, which is said to have grown from the staff of Joseph of Arimathea, uncle of Jesus who is believed to have come to Glastonbury following the crucifixion and established the first Christian Church in the country.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:26 pm

I've had this little chap since 1978, when I bought him in a shop off Oxford Street, London, and he's followed me around for 35 years, through many a house move. I don't really know why:

Should I convert to the Wicca religion? Enlightenment
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:09 am

^
Very Happy

^
Enlightened emoticon.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down