all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charlie Chaplin

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Charlie Chaplin Empty Charlie Chaplin

Post  Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:58 am

1978: Charlie Chaplin's stolen body found

The coffin containing the body of Charlie Chaplin - missing since his grave was robbed 11 weeks ago - has been found.

It was dug up from a field about a mile away from the Chaplin home in Corsier near Lausanne, Switzerland.

Charlie Chaplin _38528061_chaplin238

The legendary comedian died on Christmas Day last year, aged 88. He was buried two days later in the village of Corsier in the hills above Lake Geneva.

"Charlie would have thought it ridiculous" - Lady Oona Chaplin

Swiss police have arrested two men - a Pole aged 24 and a Bulgarian aged 38 - and say they have confessed to stealing the coffin and reburying it.

Names of the accused have not been released, but police say they are both motor mechanics.

They were traced after police kept a watch on 200 phone kiosks and tapped the Chaplins' phone after the family received ransom demands of £400,000 for return of the body after it went missing in March.

Sir Charles' 51-year-old widow, Lady Oona Chaplin, refused to pay up saying: "Charlie would have thought it ridiculous." In further calls the kidnappers made threats to harm her two youngest children.

Hollywood rumours

The family kept silent about the ransom demands and various rumours circulated about the missing coffin.

One Hollywood report suggested it had been dug up because Sir Charles was a Jew buried in a gentile cemetery.

Lady Chaplin, daughter of playwright Eugene O'Neill inherited about £12m after the death of her husband.

The couple and their eight children have been living in Lausanne since 1952.

A spokesman for the Chaplins said: "The family is very happy and relieved that this ordeal is over."

Superintendent Gabriel Cettou, the head of the Geneva police, said the two men would be charged with attempted extortion and disturbing the peace of the dead.

In Context
Roman Wardas, a 24-year-old Pole, and Gantscho Ganev, a 38-year-old Bulgarian, were convicted in December 1978 of stealing the coffin and trying to extort £400,000 from the Chaplin family.

Wardas was sentenced to four-and-a-half-years' hard labour for masterminding the bizarre plot to hold Charlie Chaplin's body to ransom. He said he was inspired by an article about a similar case in an Italian newspaper and believed it was the answer to his financial difficulties.

His Bulgarian accomplice, described as a "muscle man" with a limited sense of responsibility, was given a suspended 18-month sentence.

Sir Charles' coffin was reburied in a theft-proof concrete grave.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/17/newsid_2512000/2512129.stm

Back to top Go down

Charlie Chaplin Empty Re: Charlie Chaplin

Post  Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:43 am

Charlie Chaplin Chaplinthekidpost2

"There were a few basic rules to learn in pantomime and Jackie (the kid) very soon mastered them. He could apply emotion to the action and action to the emotion , and could repeat it time and again without losing the effect of spontaneity." - Chaplin

"According to Chaplin," in his autobiography I think, "the poignant scene where Jackie cries real tears as the orphanage men are taking him away was achieved by the simple ruse of Jackie's father threatening that if he did not cry then he would be taken away from the studio to the real workhouse."

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:16 am

Everybody's tried it sometime... the rolls dance

Chaplin doing it at a party:

Robert Downey Jr.:

Johnny Depp:

Fatty Arbuckle was the first one to make the rolls dance... (eight years before The Gold Rush)

or kind of...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:23 pm

...I'd never seen the kid or the rolls' dance...i just watched them all. Very Happy
...and such a poignant picture to end on cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:47 pm

blue moon wrote:...I'd never seen the kid or the rolls' dance...

Then you should watch it in the movie The Gold Rush

It's new year's eve and the little tramp is there waiting for the girl he loves and her friends to have dinner with him. He falls asleep on the table and dreams with it:

But when he wakes up he's alone...

You have to see The Kid too. It's very beautiful.

Last edited by asdf on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:48 pm

...yes indeed, I must Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:04 pm

When Chaplin was a kid himself he was very poor. His mother was mad and I think they took her to an asylum and Chaplin and his brother hide and lived alone until they took them to an orphanage. Or at least that's what I remember from his autobiography. I also remember Chaplin's daughter Geraldine in an interview a few years ago said that she has always been very afraid of being poor.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:59 pm

But if he's hungry he has no consideration for the rich kid (The Circus):
minute 4:25

or he might end up eating his own shoe (The Gold Rush):

He can look delicious himself and Big Jim doesn't doubt it (The Gold Rush):

But he shares his food if there's a hungry lady around (The Circus):
mnute 1:34

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:28 am

Paulette Goddard in Modern Times eating bananas a la Moony:

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:39 am

Charlie Chaplin 4242210477

...I feel compelled to keep watching that. It's fabulous!

And the soundtrack!!

You know the other day you posted something about a woman playing the violin with great intensity...I can't remember the words you used, but I know that woman was playing the violin the way Paulette is eating that banana

...oh dear it's midnight (again). I gotta go.

edit: I'm loving this thread.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:47 am

I was really talking about her personality more than about her violin playing... I only saw her playing it once

Glad you like the thread cheers

My favorite Chaplin's soundtrack is for Limelight (do you know he composed them himself?):

Goodnight, Moony Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:51 am

Limelight is a beautiful tune, thanks for reminding me Asdf Very Happy

Charlie Chaplin was born in Walworth, London, just up the road from me!!
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:59 am

You're welcome hehe. It reminds me of Christmas, when I was at my highest point of "obsession" about everything Chaplin did it was Christmas. But I heard he hated Christmas (and died on Christmas day).

and what's that London zone like? I guess it has changed since Chaplin was born though

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:47 am

asdf wrote:You're welcome hehe. It reminds me of Christmas, when I was at my highest point of "obsession" about everything Chaplin did it was Christmas. But I heard he hated Christmas (and died on Christmas day).

and what's that London zone like? I guess it has changed since Chaplin was born though

It has changed a lot since Charlie lived there, although some remains. It is a very poor area, a bit on the rough side. The market, East Lane, which was there in his day is still there today!! The area was heavily bombed in the war so a lot of buildings were lost. In the 60's the council thought it would be a good idea to build estates, which turned out not to be a good idea at all Mad
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:50 am

Charlie Chaplin History-Eaststreet2-feat
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:42 am

Do you think I should visit it whenever I go to London (or will they rob me or something? Suspect hehe). I've only been to London once and only for four hours or so... so you can guess I didn't see much of it. We were in a summer camp in Wales, near Cardiff, and they took us to London one day, but the time to go there plus there was a traffic jam to enter London didn't leave us much time to see it.

I have a bad memory of that camp because I didn't get along well with the other boys and girls...

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:08 am

asdf wrote:Do you think I should visit it whenever I go to London (or will they rob me or something? Suspect hehe). I've only been to London once and only for four hours or so... so you can guess I didn't see much of it. We were in a summer camp in Wales, near Cardiff, and they took us to London one day, but the time to go there plus there was a traffic jam to enter London didn't leave us much time to see it.

I have a bad memory of that camp because I didn't get along well with the other boys and girls...

You have to be a bit street wise wherever you are in London. Not sure if Walworth is worth a visit, I don't think Charlie's birthplace exists anymore and can't think of much else to visit there? But, yes, come to London there are loads of fantastic places to go and things to do.
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:04 pm

asdf wrote:My favorite Chaplin's soundtrack is for Limelight (do you know he composed them himself?):
...how beautiful that is. you know, I've known that tune it seems like forever but never knew where it came from. It makes me feel teary.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:52 pm

Here is a taste of East Lane without having to go there. You can see the Victorian buildings that Charlie would have walked past as a kid.
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:55 pm

And this is how it looked when I was a kid. Very Happy
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:07 pm

Thank you, Nash.

It really looks like a Spanish street market but with more things on sell and without gypsies selling underwear.

And I see you also have this wonderful images of the virgin hehe

Charlie Chaplin Dibujoxq

... or is it Jesus?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:13 pm

Nah Ville Sky Chick wrote:

And this is how it looked when I was a kid. Very Happy
A looooong time ago... (just kidding)
You know, I have always thought you were around thirty until the other day you wrote that post of FB in the seventies

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:27 pm

...at old atu nash posted a photo of herself. I think she was standing near a railing by the sea. It reminded me of a scene in 'Local Hero'.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:35 pm

Maybe I saw it too...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:16 pm

Charlie Chaplin Charlesczollerportraito

Photograph in colour by Charles C. Zoller in 1917 or 1918

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content