The horrible death and resurrection of Codename: Mackadamia !

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The horrible death and resurrection of Codename: Mackadamia !

Post  pinhedz on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:08 pm

Yakima Canutt wrote:Policy-makers might even consider him boon-istic.
It is possible that Gabby's prognostications--after being filtered through a DoS expert--might make their way to policy makers. But in these cases Gabby is unlikely to be cited.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:11 pm

I might add that this website is not a governmental department of policy-making, so standard modes of speech are more appropriate.

Also, at this website, I notice that "monday-morning quarterbacking" ( discussions of stuff that happened in the past) seems to be commonplace, so the chastisement of "monday-morning quarterbacking" seems puzzling.

Unless maybe we're doing a governmental policy-making role-playing game? Maybe that is it.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:23 pm

The pinhed actually thinks his modes of speech are normal.

And I don't actually have anything against Monday-morning quarterbacking. It's just that to call policy matters "silly season," while treating a think tanker's book tour as serious business, doesn't make much sense to the pinhed.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:28 pm

The "silly season" was in reference to what I thought was your use of irony in declaring the necessity for psychic powers at think tanks.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:31 pm

My use of the phrase "serious business" was a tongue-in-cheek word usage expressing a sincere desire that this Topic contain a more substantive discussion of Putin and his Russia instead of what I viewed as somewhat petty bickering.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:34 pm

Yakima Canutt wrote:The "silly season" was in reference to what I thought was your use of irony in declaring the necessity for psychic powers at think tanks.

Favorite policy-maker question (when demanding the powers of a psychic):

"What's your gut feeling then?"

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:37 pm

Mr. Gaddy is from the Brookings Institution. Are they old hat, yesterday's snooze? Again, he is not my friend, so you can answer honestly.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:43 pm

I would say that the following is generally sound (except that "destroy the US" is not defined here, and what would actually be left after a nuclear exchange has been carefully thought through on our side, and no doubt on the other side as well):

I listened to the Putinologist Clifford Gaddy and he made following points

- oligarchs do not exert influence over Putin, Russia is all Putin's show, he has dirt on everybody because that is how he was trained in the KGB, you control people by getting the dirt on them, and if they are not dirty then you set them up to get dirty and then you have the dirt on them.  One Putin crony said oligarchs are like fish in a fish bowl and Putin could pour vinegar into their fish bowl whenever he wants.

-Putin is a master of the Russian mind, but is very ignorant of world outside Russia and former Soviet states, he doesn't ask questions to learn about world from experts, because that would make him look weak.  Putin thinks he knows all about Germany, but the Germans say Putin doesn't know shit about Germany and understands USA even less. Mucho less.  But he is scared of USA because he thinks they want to kill him.

-It would take him like 15 minutes to destroy the USA.

-there are many worse alternatives to Putin in Russia ( in terms of nationalism, expansionism, racism and more) and if you looked at opinion polls of average Boris Lunchbox, Putin can look like a moderate.

-The 20 million dead Russians from World War II, that is a huge part of the national psyche and Putin like so many had relatives who had to freeze to death eating wallpaper glue in Stalingrad, and the way THE WEST ignores this supreme sacrifice of the Russian folks really causes anger

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:47 pm

pinhedz wrote:I would say that the following is generally sound (except that "destroy the US" is not defined here, and what would actually be left after a nuclear exchange has been carefully thought through on our side, and no doubt on the other side as well):

I was paraphrasing for dramatic emphasis.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:48 pm

To be fair, the Canutt has deviated from "standard modes of speech" once or twice.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:50 pm

-The 20 million dead Russians from World War II, that is a huge part of the national psyche and Putin like so many had relatives who had to freeze to death eating wallpaper glue in Stalingrad, and the way THE WEST ignores this supreme sacrifice of the Russian folks really causes anger
On this particular point, I had a teacher in Moscow who seriously believed that America was unaware Russia had fought against the Nazis. Shocked

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:09 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:41 pm

A lot of Russians say Pavel Chekov is not how Real Russians talk.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:46 pm

Well, Walter Koenig has said the accent is a milder version of his father's accent. So maybe it is the accent of Real Russian Jews From a Certain Russian Zone. Maybe some Lithuanian influence too.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:48 pm

Yeahbut, keep in mind that Roddenberry told Koenig to "ham up" the accent.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:49 pm

Koenig, a shortened version of Königsberg, I take it?

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:51 pm

Yep, that also was Woody Allen's surname at birth.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:53 pm

Hegh, presumably there are less complaints about Anton Yelchin's accent, performing as New Pavel Chekov. Yelchin was born in Leningrad.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:55 pm

Just saw Sangeet tweet that political farce has reached its zenith in Russia as Putin fingers Chechen extremists for the murder of opposition leader Boris Nemtsov.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:58 pm

Sheesh, remember when Putin kept blowing up Russian apartment buildings and blaming it on the Chechen?

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:59 pm

How could I forget?   Rolling Eyes

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mack on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:22 pm

http://i.imgur.com/w8R7XJL.gif

Old Mack

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:28 pm

THE SEACREST REPORT

President Obama is an admitted Star Trek fan, and a fan of one character in particular: Mr. Spock, the pointy-eared Vulcan played by Leonard Nimoy.

"Long before being nerdy was cool, there was Leonard Nimoy," Obama said in a statement released by the White House after Nimoy's death. "Leonard was a lifelong lover of the arts and humanities, a supporter of the sciences, generous with his talent and his time. And of course, Leonard was Spock. Cool, logical, big-eared and level-headed, the center of Star Trek's optimistic, inclusive vision of humanity's future.

"I loved Spock," Obama said.

Obama said he met Nimoy in person in 2007. "It was only logical to greet him with the Vulcan salute, the universal sign for 'Live long and prosper.' And after 83 years on this planet – and on his visits to many others – it's clear Leonard Nimoy did just that. Michelle and I join his family, friends, and countless fans who miss him so dearly today."

If Obama is a Star Trek fan, he's not an obsessive one. He caused a flap in 2013 when he incorrectly mixed his sci-fi references by suggesting a "Jedi mind meld" with Republicans over budget cuts. (A Vulcan mind meld was one of Spock's special abilities, but Jedis are from Star Wars, not Star Trek.)

It's been observed Obama bears a resemblance to Nimoy in his stature and mannerisms, which Obama himself acknowledged after watching the 2009 Star Trek franchise movie.

"Everybody was saying I was Spock, so I figured I should check it out," he said.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:38 pm

The Washington Post Factor

In the wake of President Obama’s statement following the passing of Leonard Nimoy that he loved Spock, the Washington Free Beacon’s Matthew Continetti penned a column entitled “I don’t Love Spock,” with the subhead of “President Obama’s favorite Star Trek character is an appeasing arrogant jerk.” A sample:

-----
The president is not the only writer who has drawn comparisons between himself and Spock. I am also a Star Trek fan, but I admit I was somewhat confused by my rather apathetic reaction to Nimoy’s death. And as I thought more about the president’s statement, I realized he identifies with the very aspects of the Spock character that most annoy me. I don’t love Spock at all.

Not only do Spock’s peacenik inclinations routinely land the Enterprise and the Federation into trouble, his “logic” and “level head” mask an arrogant emotional basket case. Unlike the superhuman android Data, a loyal officer whose deepest longing is to be human, Spock spends most of his life as a freelancing diplomat eager to negotiate with the worst enemies of Starfleet. He’s the opposite of a role model: a cautionary tale.

-----

One has to stand back and admire Continetti’s effort at cultural trolling. As an effort to subvert a nerd touchstone, it’s close to but not quite on a par with Chris Sullentrop’s epic Harry Potter takedown or Jonathan Last’s heroic defense of the Galactic Empire. Drawing primarily from the movie canon (and curiously ignoring the original television series), Continetti makes a interesting if not entirely persuasive case.

The thing is, as I kept reading it, I kept wondering whether Spock was really as bad as Continetti claims. So I spent the weekend going through the films on Netflix. I quickly realized that Continetti elided a flaw in his argument. The thing is, the character in the original Star Trek run that really runs into problems is one James Tiberius Kirk.

This is gonna be a problem for the folks at the Washington Free Beacon. Given Kirk’s act-first-and-ask-questions-later style, his reliance on gut instincts, and his insatiable appetite for intervention, Kirk was made for neoconservative fanboys.

Really, the only way Kirk could be more catnip to the Free Beacon is if Kate Upton was FXed into an old episode as an Orion slave woman.

Continetti astutely observes Spock’s flaws — the thing is, Kirk’s flaws are way worse. For example, Continetti argues that Spock “cares only for himself” in Star Trek I, but Kirk’s behavior is even more self-interested in that film. He explicitly uses the V’Ger threat as an excuse to strongarm Starfleet Command into giving him back command of the Enterprise despite his unfamiliarity with the new design of the ship.

This, by the way, begins a rather disturbing pattern in the Star Trek film franchise:

Star Trek I: Kirk forces his way into command of the Enterprise.

Star Trek II: Kirk passively-aggressively navigates his way into command of the Enterprise.

Star Trek III: Kirk illegally commandeers and captains the Enterprise.

Star Trek IV: Miraculously, at the end of the film, Starfleet Command gives Kirk another Enterprise!

Star Trek V: Nope, life is short, I’m not watching this piece of dreck ever again. Ever.

Star Trek VI: Kirk is close to retiring, but manages to take the Enterprise out for one last mission.

Star Trek VII: Kirk comes this close to usurping command of the Enterprise B from its captain before realizing what a total dick he’s being.

Star Trek Reboot I: Kirk goads Spock into a fight by taunting him about the death of his family to get back command of the Enterprise

Star Trek Reboot II: Kirk proposes an illegal, personal mission of vengeance to claw his way back into the command chair of the Enterprise.

So, how does Kirk do with his commands? He acts in an undisciplined, haphazard, interventionist  fashion that threatens his ship and the Federation more generally:

Star Trek I: Kirk nearly destroys the Enterprise by prematurely going to warp, creating a wormhole, and ignorantly ordering phasers to destroy an asteroid. Without the quick action of the recently-demoted Decker, the ship would have been destroyed.

Star Trek II: Kirk mopes around for the first third of the film, taking time out only to needle Saavik. Upon assuming command, he fails to follow General Order 12 when encountering the USS Reliant, despite Saavik pointing that very regulation out to him. The resulting attack from the Reliant proves so devastating that only Spock’s later sacrifice saves the Enterprise, thereby setting in motion a chain of events that dominate the next two films. Even Kirk admits that he got caught with his britches down.

Star Trek III: Nothing to see here, just Kirk blowing up the stolen Enterprise after he recklessly enters the Genesis quarantine zone and encounters a Klingon Bird of Prey with an ill-prepared, radically shorthanded crew.

Star Trek IV: Kirk only commands the Enterprise A for a few minutes. To his credit, he neither damages the ship nor Federation foreign policy in that brief time.

Star Trek V: Nope, still not watching it.

Star Trek VI: Where to begin. After expressing his preference for the genocidal extinction of the entire Klingon species, Kirk takes every opportunity to piss all over Spock’s opening to the Klingons. He makes the brilliant move of serving Romulan ale during the opening diplomatic outreach to the Klingons, lulling the senior crew into a drunken stupor, thereby making the terrorist attack on the Klingon Chancellor go much smoother.

Star Trek VII: Kirk advises Picard to never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever give up the captain’s chair of the Enterprise, despite the fact that Picard’s vastly superior management and diplomatic skills put him on the fast-track to head Starfleet Command.

Star Trek Reboot I: Credit where it’s due, Kirk’s warning to Pike helps to save the ship as it approaches Vulcan. His attempted mutiny after the destruction of Vulcan does, however, counteract that good deed.

Star Trek Reboot II: Oh, sweet Jesus, where to begin? Kirk starts off by violating the Prime Directive and recklessly intervening. He then lies about said intervention in an official report. Once that’s discovered, Pike chews him out for not taking responsibility and disrespecting the chair.and he loses his command. Kirk volunteers to assassinate Pike’s killer illegally, admitting that “our orders have nothing to do with Starfleet regulations.” He ignores Scotty’s counsel, triggering the chief engineer’s resignation. Kirk continues to blunder in his mission, nearly destroying the Enterprise while confessing to Spock that he has no idea what he’s doing.

In essence, Kirk is a commander who repeatedly and recklessly disregards the rule of law, possesses an inflated sense of his own abilities, takes preemptive action before thinking, adopts prejudiced attitudes towards adversaries and nearly destroys his ship multiple times without the benefit of a well-trained crew. This sounds pretty damn neoconservative to me.

Like Continetti, I do indeed love Star Trek. But if I have to pick a captain, it’s Jean-Luc Picard and it’s not close.

Last edited by Yakima Canutt on Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:41 am

Russians do not have a "W," so they turn all the Ws into Vs (as in "Vashingtone DeeSee").

It is very jarring to hear a Russian turning Vs into Ws (as in "eenwented").

Russians can constitute a "W" sound by putting a "U" and an "O" together, as in "Oo-oh-shing-tone DeeSee" (it is considered very erudite to do this, instead just falling back on the "V" sound).

One time a Russian girl wanted to talk to me about an American writer named something like "Tome Oo-eeker." It took me a while to figure out the writer's name was "Tom Wicker."

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:19 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top