The horrible death and resurrection of Codename: Mackadamia !

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The horrible death and resurrection of Codename: Mackadamia !

Post  pinhedz on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:24 pm

It's just like when Hitler said he had to move into the Sudetenlands to protect all the Germans there from the Czechs.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mack on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:13 pm

Old Mack

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mack on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:16 pm

FCC chumpie that is refusing to testify before Congress on Net Neutrality.

Old Mack wrote:

Old Mack

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:03 pm

Sangeet says one shouldn't take the "Putin is like Hitler" rap too far, because Hitler was insane, and Putin is acting rationally, at least according to the rules of Putinosity.  Sangeet says it will be real difficult and dangerous for Putin to retire, even though he has built such a nice retirement castle & retirement fund, so Putin is motivated to stay in power, because that is a lot safer, even if he gets a large security force at his retirement castle.  And to stay in power, Putin has to do stuff like attack weaker neighbors to bolster civic pride and his popularity, to distract from economic woes ... because one thing Russian sure has not done is diversify its economy. Sangeet said other stuff but that is what I remember.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:25 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:Sangeet says one shouldn't take the "Putin is like Hitler" rap too far, because Hitler was insane, and Putin is acting rationally, at least according to the rules of Putinosity.  Sangeet says it will be real difficult and dangerous for Putin to retire, even though he has built such a nice retirement castle & retirement fund, so Putin is motivated to stay in power, because that is a lot safer, even if he gets a large security force at his retirement castle.  And to stay in power, Putin has to do stuff like attack weaker neighbors to bolster civic pride and his popularity, to distract from economic woes ... because one thing Russian sure has not done is diversify its economy. Sangeet said other stuff but that is what I remember.

Actually, I can't see that Hitler's tactics in Austria and Czechoslovakia were insane. The crazy stuff came later.

We'll find out how sane Putin is when he's in an underground bunker, ....

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:26 pm

pinhedz wrote:Hitler crazy stuff came later.

Er, but way before that he forced his niece to urinate on him in accordance to oracular omens derived from beans, just to name one thing, so.

Hitler's early annexations can be viewed as preludes to the celestial alignment of The Gundestrup Cauldron with the Ravananugraha Chalice which would animate the final avatar of Siegfried during the consummation of Großdeutsches Reich.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:42 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:06 pm

I reckon we'd have to start by defining what we mean by "insane."
Mitt Romney believes in some far-out oracular stuff too, and we have other elected officials that are even crazier than the Mormons.

But I understand where Sangeet is coming from. The parallel between Hitler in Czechoslovakia and Putin in Ukraine is so obvious that it's not even insightful to point it out. It's actually more cool to debunk the similarity, so Sangeet is being one of the cool people.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:20 am

Sangeet wasn't specifically referring to Czech nor was Sangeet even responding to you ... SANGEET DOESN'T EVEN KNOW YOU.

Sangeet was cautioning for sensible limits to the "PUTIN IS HITLER" spiel, not castigating all parallels.

Peruse the available literature on Hitler ( I mean post William Shirer) and the stuff from the most rigorous Putinologists and even a Bajoran would conclude Hitler is way more bonkers than Putin.  Hitler was crazy and got crazier.

First, there is a difference between being born into the Mormon community and making up a bunch of weird magical occult shit on your own ... but fine, leave all that aside ...

My more telling citation was Hitler being urinated on by his niece ... and then killing her, and then enshrining her as the one cure for his impotency ... looking to take over the Cosmos as a cure for his self-loathing ... anyways, I'm not going to recount his biography, but a comparison clearly shows him as far more neurotic ( eventually psychotic )and delusional (lost in bizarro fantasies) [ THIS IS WHAT WE MEAN BY "BONKERS"] than Putin.

OK, fine, we can forget the psychobabble, and just boil it down.

All Little Putin ever wanted to be was a KGB chelovek. ( and this still seems to describe his mode)

Little Adolf wanted to be an artist. Suspect Suspect Suspect

Last edited by Yakima Canutt on Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:01 pm

I was pretty sure Sangeet was not talking to the pinhed, but it really did look like Yakima was citing Sangeet in response to the pinhed (my mistake  geek ).  

Anyways, I gather that Sangeet has no objection if the party or parties he was addressing (whomever they might have been), without carrying the parallel too far, were to point out that Hitler's annexations of Austria and the Sudetenland were pulled off with great success, and nothing about those operations was taken as an indication of mental illness at the time, or since that time, as far as I know. The parallel is that Putin's operations in the Crimea and Eastern Ukraine strongly resemble Hitler's earlier annexations, and so far appear to be similarly successful.  

As you may have guessed, the pinhed has read nothing biographical on Hitler since William Shirer. Based on the samples you're sharing, I wonder if the authors' sources would meet the pinhedz standards (which are very high bounce ). I believe it was Yogi Berra who said "Most stuff is just made up," but I could be wrong about that, because Yogi also said "I never said half the things I said" (assuming he really said that, which is speculative ).
And I won't be surprised if one day we find ourselves reading all about Putin's unfortunate nieces. affraid

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:37 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mack on Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:35 am

Old Mack

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:21 am

We've all made mistakes.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:38 am

Sangeet says that to compare Putin to Hitler is really to minimize Putin, because Hitler was always doomed to failure, on account of being so out of touch with reality that he was starting a globe war Germany could never hope to win. Everything in Putin's bio indicates he goes toe-to-toe when he has the advantage, he doesn't declare war on Neptune and march soldiers into the sea like Hitler.

Anyways enuff of that trifling comparison.

I listened to the Putinologist Clifford Gaddy and he made following points

- oligarchs do not exert influence over Putin, Russia is all Putin's show, he has dirt on everybody because that is how he was trained in the KGB, you control people by getting the dirt on them, and if they are not dirty then you set them up to get dirty and then you have the dirt on them.  One Putin crony said oligarchs are like fish in a fish bowl and Putin could pour vinegar into their fish bowl whenever he wants.

-Putin is a master of the Russian mind, but is very ignorant of world outside Russia and former Soviet states, he doesn't ask questions to learn about world from experts, because that would make him look weak.  Putin thinks he knows all about Germany, but the Germans say Putin doesn't know shit about Germany and understands USA even less. Mucho less.  But he is scared of USA because he thinks they want to kill him.

-It would take him like 15 minutes to destroy the USA.

-there are many worse alternatives to Putin in Russia ( in terms of nationalism, expansionism, racism and more) and if you looked at opinion polls of average Boris Lunchbox, Putin can look like a moderate.

-The 20 million dead Russians from World War II, that is a huge part of the national psyche and Putin like so many had relatives who had to freeze to death eating wallpaper glue in Stalingrad, and the way THE WEST ignores this supreme sacrifice of the Russian folks really causes anger

Last edited by Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:23 pm

Yakima Canutt wrote:Anyways enuff of that trifling comparison.
Yes, enuff. After all, the pinhed was only trying to compare the takeover strategy in Western Ukraine to the strategy in the Sudetenland (he says this now for the 3rd time bounce ). The comparison between Hitler and Putin came from Sangeet, who I understand was not even addressing the pinhed (no reason he would be, but I sort of took the bait, didn't I?  geek ).

Indeed, there seem to be more pundits debunking the Putin/Hitler comparison than there are people making the comparison. I guess that gives them something to write about and publish, doesn't it? Make up stuff--then debunk it. If investigative reporters never did that, the Wrongington Post would be much thinner. Razz

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:21 pm

pinhedz wrote:Indeed, there seem to be more pundits debunking the Putin/Hitler comparison than there are people making the comparison.

Hmm, I've noticed the opposite. Certainly coming from John Q. Public at the bus stop and Murdoch News Group etc. But whatevz.

I AM NOW ATTEMPTING TO MAKE A SERIOUS DELVING INTO THE NITTY-GRITTY OF PUTINOSITY CITING THE THINK TANKS OF THE DAY ... IF OTHERS WANT TO REMAIN MIRED IN HORSE-FEATHERS, SO BE IT.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:50 am

The pinhed is only vaguely aware of the existence of something called "Murdoch News Group." Perhaps this entity is into things that I don't follow so much.

The pinhed is interested in the strategy in Eastern Ukraine (which could have future implications for the Sudetenland and points west). If your think-tanker friends can contribute any insights or prognostications by looking inside Putin's head, so much the better.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:54 am

^
One might add that the most useful thing a think-tanker could do would be to tell us what Putin is going to do before he does it.

When they only get around to explaining it after the deeds are done, all I can think is that--if they're so darn smart--why didn't they warn us ahead of time?

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:54 pm

The only Think Tanker I cited was Clifford Gaddy, who is an economist specializing in Russia. He is not my friend nor does he make airy-fairy pronouncements boasting of clairvoyance, but seems to rely more on interviewing those who have had dealings with Putin and whatnot.  

ne might add that the most useful thing a think-tanker could do would be to tell us what Putin is going to do before he does it

I find this sentence to be either churlish or nonsensical.

I attempted to move the "conversation" forward, summarizing Mr. Gaddy's book tour lecture, thinking perhaps you might have some thoughtful responses to it, since you're always talking about Russia and shit.  I see I was wrong, and you wish to continue with SILLY SEASON.  Carry on, by all means.  

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:20 pm

There is nothing "silly" about asking that experts warn policy makers about what Putin and his ilk are likely to do before he has already done it (I have never known a policy maker that had the slightest interest in Monday-morning quarterbacks bounce ).

You might not be aware that what you call "clairvoyance" is what policy makers want. That you would call this point "silly season" does not do you credit (I could elaborate on that at length, but I don't think it would serve a useful purpose).

Thank you for your invitation to "carry on," but the pinhed actually carries on just as well without Yakima's permission. Razz

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:30 pm

Oh you must've mis-typed then.

you typed
one might add that the most useful thing a think-tanker could do would be to tell us what Putin is going to do before he does it

and what you meant to type, now you are saying, was
one might add that the most useful thing a think-tanker could do would be to tell us what Putin is likely to do before he does it

because of your error, I thought you were just being peevish.  But to your points of policy-makers wanting possible scenarios of future events, "no duh"

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:36 pm

There is something called "probabilistic language."

It is intended to cover one's ass--but it doesn't.

In gubmint, saying that something will more likely than not happen (that means 51% or more) is equivalent to saying it will happen (with 100% certainty), and the punishment is the same.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Yeah, but you try to do a lot of cute Twain-like irony, and often parse phrases literally, so such a misunderstanding might be expected.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:45 pm

^
I wasn't aware of that, but it might be true.

And I don't know if this is Twainian or not, but your "no-duh" comment effectively dismisses that Russian economics expert (who I now understand is not your friend).

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:53 pm

Mr. Gaddy seems to consider many likely future scenarios in his work.  Policy-makers might even consider him boon-istic.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:31 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top