all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where would you like to be right now?

+4
precinct14
Nah Ville Sky Chick
eddie
sil
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Where would you like to be right now? Empty Where would you like to be right now?

Post  sil Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:42 am

clown

Last edited by silviando on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
sil
sil

Back to top Go down

Where would you like to be right now? Empty Re: Where would you like to be right now?

Post  eddie Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:04 am

I'm actually just starting some annual leave from work (which is why I'm able to spend so much time here at present). I've got a few household/personal tasks to get out of the way and then I was thinking of heading down to the West Country (St Ives, Cornwall) for a few days.

Problem is the weather in the UK: it hasn't stopped raining for what seems like weeks and it's bloody chilly for June.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Where would you like to be right now? Empty Re: Where would you like to be right now?

Post  sil Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:10 am

drunken

Last edited by silviando on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
sil
sil

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:11 am

Nash

Where do you stay when you visit the Isle of Wight?

Oddly, I've never been. My sister likes it, though- so that's a possible alternative to the West Country.
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:28 am

eddie wrote:Nash

Where do you stay when you visit the Isle of Wight?

Oddly, I've never been. My sister likes it, though- so that's a possible alternative to the West Country.

Well, a few places but all on the South coast where the weather is best. Ventnor and Bonchurch are my favourites. It doesn't take long to get there either. If you get the train from Waterloo, you can then get on the foot ferry over to the Island, then a train from there to Shanklin. Shanklin Old Village is pretty, with old thatched cottages and lots of shops to browse. Good beach and a nice long promenade walk over to Sandown.

Bonchurch is a beautiful village with it's own pond which was donated to the people by Henry de vere Stackpoole, who wrote the Blue Lagoon, in memory of his wife. Dickens was a regular visitor and stayed at Winterbourne. Algernon Swinburn lived there and is buried in the newer church yard. The old church is Norman, is tiny, and is gradually getting closer to the sea!!

Bonchurch has one pub, which is run by an Italian and his family, great food, especially the home made pizza and crab sandwiches. Love it.
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  precinct14 Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:21 am

Bonchurch's pub, eating crab sandwiches.
precinct14
precinct14
Coming up empty from the piggy bank?

Back to top Go down

Post  tatiana Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:31 am

Bonchurch's pub-
eating home made pizza
tatiana
tatiana
Tigre-de-Music

https://www.soundawesome.com/listeners/isis7475

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:46 am

Guacamayo's on to something:

Forget your holiday at home: June set to be a washout

By Ruth Doherty, Jun 13, 2011

Where would you like to be right now? Beach1
Get out your brolly and cancel your stay-cation. Hopes for a return to the the scorching weather we had in spring have been quashed by the Met Office.

June gloom is set to to stay, with sunshine being scarce, according to weather experts.

According to Met Office spokesman Barry Gromett, instead of a sizzling start to summer, the rest of the month is likely to be a 'mixed bag' of showers and warm weather across the country.

Parts of Britain saw a fortnight's rain fall in just one afternoon this weekend - and temperatures are eight degrees below the June average of a warm 20c.

Bournemouth scooped the gong for the wettest place in England over the weekend, with 57mm hitting the coastal town.

Meanwhile, Vyrnwy in Wales was deluged with a 32.4mm between 10am and 10pm - almost a third of the UK June average of 96mm.

And it temperatures have recenlty plunged to a miserable 12C in parts of south east England, with Wych Cross in East Sussex a shivering 12.5c during one day - way below the June average.

And the rain looks set to continue for much of this week, with 'quite heavy' showers forecast for southern England on Thursday, Ladies' Day at Royal Ascot.

Mr Gromett told the Daily Mail: 'I think it's definitely a sunshine and showers set-up this week. We shouldn't expect too much in the way of sunshine.

Tomorrow offers the best chance of dry weather with long sunny spells in central and eastern England.'

The volatile weather and constant downpours has been blamed on the Atlantic weather system.

Mr Gromett explained: 'Low pressure areas from the Atlantic have swept across the UK, bringing widespread rain to much of it.

'There's not going to be blisteringly hot weather but it's not going to be dramatically cold either, it'll be somewhere between the two.'

The unpredictable weather, which is thought to have highs of 20c in London and between 16c and 19c for the rest of England in June, is a far cry from the scorching heat seen less than ten days ago, when temperatures soared to 27c in the south of England over the weekend.

Let's hope we fry in July!

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:07 am

eddie wrote:
Problem is the weather in the UK

Indeed. Bugger all cricket gettting played again!
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  sil Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:51 am

weak week

Last edited by silviando on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
sil
sil

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:49 pm

It's not looking good. The brief UK heatwave will soon be over:

Thunderstorms threaten heatwave

Where would you like to be right now? N0162201309145535907A
A woman relaxes in the sun on the South Bank in central London

Parts of Britain are set for another scorcher, but forecasters warned thunderstorms could bring the short-lived heatwave to an abrupt end.

Temperatures will hit 31C (88F) in some parts of the country, beating the highs of 28C (82F) that made Sunday the hottest day of the year so far.

But by Monday evening the hot weather could be broken by thunder and showers.

Andy Ratcliffe, a forecaster at MeteoGroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said: "Much of England will be hot and humid again. We're looking at highs reaching about 31C (88F) in the London area.

"But there is the chance of scattered thundery showers developing, and there could be local downpours where they occur."

Although some parts of Britain will enjoy soaring temperatures, some areas will be cooler than they were on Sunday, he said.

"Further north-east across the UK it will be fresher, with bursts of rain. The rain will move from southern and eastern Scotland into northern England and into Wales by the end of the day. The remaining parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland will be mainly dry but fresher than yesterday."

The weather will start to turn cooler on Tuesday, with London enjoying the highest temperatures, of around 24C (75F).

Mr Ratcliffe said: "Tomorrow we will see the remaining hot and humid conditions clearing to leave all areas fresher for the rest of the week, with scattered showers."

Earlier, Paul Mott of MeteoGroup, said there would be "heavy showers and localised thunder storms spreading east across England" on Monday evening and Tuesday. He added: "By Wednesday the heatwave will definitely be over. If anything it will be a bit colder than average, 20C (68F) in London and down to 15C (59F) elsewhere."

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  milkcow Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:59 am

Spain

milkcow

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:21 am

I am going on a holiday next week to sunny Queensland.

Back to top Go down

Post  tatiana Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:29 am

11,000 miles northeast from where i live.
tatiana
tatiana
Tigre-de-Music

Back to top Go down

Post  tatiana Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:54 am

Doc Watson wrote:I am going on a holiday next week to sunny Queensland.

where abouts are you going to?

ps, it is raining at the moment, so hopefully the sun will be shining for n you next week
tatiana
tatiana
Tigre-de-Music

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:54 pm

tatiana wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:I am going on a holiday next week to sunny Queensland.

where abouts are you going to?

ps, it is raining at the moment, so hopefully the sun will be shining for n you next week
Port Douglas , I have heard it is raining , but it is probably still wrmer than here.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:35 pm

I got stung by a jellyfish in Port Douglas. The bastard.
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:31 am

pinhedz wrote:
I heard that jelly fishes are proliferating due to global warming--blame Bush.

A funny thing I hear from time to time is environmental campaigners saying that the evidence of man made climate change is so overwhelming now that George Bush Jnr even believes in it. So, that idiot GWB believes in it so it must be true. Very Happy
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  tatiana Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:07 am

^^^^^

wow, that is beautiful .

what a magnificent ice island.

Shocked
tatiana
tatiana
Tigre-de-Music

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:26 am

pinhedz wrote:
Simulacrum wrote:
pinhedz wrote:
I heard that jelly fishes are proliferating due to global warming--blame Bush.

A funny thing I hear from time to time is environmental campaigners saying that the evidence of man made climate change is so overwhelming now that George Bush Jnr even believes in it. So, that idiot GWB believes in it so it must be true. Very Happy
That's right--if idiots believe it, it must be true. Where would you like to be right now? 1614483555

But that's easy--it's been getting warmer since the 17th century. The hard question is: what's causing it? And is it bad? (it's not for Greenland, but some people might lose their beach property).

I did say 'man made climate change'.
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:17 am

I have no idea.

I do know that it would probably be an idea for everyone to cut their C02 emissions. And when I say everyone, I pretty much mean the USA (and China).
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:14 pm

I don't much fancy Papua, New Guinea:

Man speared by tribesmen in Papua New Guinea
By AOL Travel, Jul 02, 2011

Where would you like to be right now? Papman1

A French man has been attacked with spears by tribesmen as he tried to save his girlfriend from being raped in the rainforests of western Papua New Guinea.

Matthew Scheurich, 28, pulled the spears from his chest and almost bled to death as he and his girlfriend fled for their lives through the thick jungle in the tropical island nation.

His wounds became infected and he is now in hospital in Cairns, Australia.

The attack happened after a tribesman in a remote village in Papua New Guinea took a shine to Mr Scheurich's French girlfriend and decided he wanted to marry her.

Mr Scheurich stepped in to protect the woman, but the tribesman retaliated by spearing him with arrows and hitting him on the head with a rock.

His survival has been dubbed a 'miracle' after the barbs narrowly missed his vital organs and he lost litres of blood.

Mr Scheurich's girlfriend endured a sexual assault and was also bitten, cut, scratched and badly bruised in the fracas.

The couple were only rescued after she set off their emergency locator beacon to raise the alarm, according to reports in the New Zealand Herald.

Mr Scheurich, a graphic designer from Waikato, New Zealand, who now lives in Melbourne, Australia, was in Papua New Guinea visiting his anthropologist girlfriend.

She was there to study the Febi tribe from the North Fly district as part of her research for her doctorate thesis, when one of the tribesman decided he wanted her.

After the attack, the pair managed to escape to the nearby town of Suabi where they were looked after by a local church before the missionary air service evacuated them to Kiunga, a coastal town, for medical treatment.

Dr Josette Docherty, an Australian doctor working there, told the New Zealand Herald Mr Scheurich was prone on a stretcher, in agony and 'deathly pale' when she first saw him.

One arrow had penetrated his ribcage and the wall of his stomach, and stopped just short of his aorta; the other had split a less vital artery.

Dr Docherty gave Mr Scheurich an urgent blood transfusion - including half a litre from her own partner, medical volunteer Allan Mason - but he needed urgent surgery to survive.

After a night in the 25-bed ward, which had only one nurse on duty, Mr Scheurich and his girlfriend flew to the capital, Port Moresby, and then to Cairns Base Hospital, Australia, last Tuesday.

AOL
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:08 pm

I returned home last evening .
Holidays are fun , but home is best.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:40 am

pinhedz wrote:
Simulacrum wrote:I have no idea.
Are you sure you don't?

Fairly sure yeah. Laughing
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:07 am

I would like the be in New Zealand. All day every day.

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum