What do you mean -- "alternative?"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do you mean -- "alternative?"

Post  pinhedz on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:47 am

So much of what I have to say is cached--how convenient.

"Alternative" is a label, isn't it?

It's the label that defies the defiance of those that would defy labels. It turns out that everything can be labelled and binned.

I've always had a small group of CDs that I keep off by themselves because they don't fit anywhere. There aren't that many (not even close to 25) but here are the top 10:

“Go Right” -- The Novi Singers
-- A Polish vocal quartet influenced by (probably) Hefti, Lambert Hendrix and Ross, maybe the Swingle Singers, but they mostly sound like themselves.

“Hamburger Blues” -- Biff Rose & Wall Matthews
-- Fender Rhodes, talking toys, vocals, piano, electric and acoustic guitar, but not like we're used to.

“Philosophy of the World” -- The Shaggs
-- Their best attempt to sound like what they heard on the radio.

“Studies for Player Piano” -- Conlon Nancarrow
-- Ragtime on some very strange drugs (it can't be played by human hands).

“Gling-Gló” --Tríó Guðmundar Ingólfssonar with vocals by Björk Guðmundsdóttir
-- Take "You Can't Get A Man With A Gun," with all new Icelandic lyrics, sung by Bjork, accompanied by a jazz group.

“Trip Thru Hell” -- C.A. Quintet
-- Minnesotans being Psychedelic.

“Moondog” -- Moondog
-- Mostly rounds, some vocal some intrumental.

“Traveling Through The Jungle” -- various deep southern fife and trash can players
-- Picnic music of the deep south. It had to be loud, piercing, and have a steady beat.

“The 6 & 7/8s String Band” -- The 6 & 7/8s String Band
A bunch of doctors and lawyers from New Orleans with a string bass, hawaiian guitar, regular guitar and mandolin.

“Cheryomushki” -- Dmitri Shostakovich
-- not an opera, not a musical, a musical drama about back-stabbing and apartment hunting in Soviet-era Moscow. imagine the hijinks. What a Face

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: What do you mean -- "alternative?"

Post  pinhedz on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:53 am

I thought of two more:

"Sitting on bottom of the world [sic]" -- Noahlewis' Mahlon Taits [I've made no typos]
-- Japanese amateurs that love to collect old American records from between the world wars, and play the songs with musical saw, ukulele, fiddle, whatever. Their acapella rendition of Charlie Patton's "Some Dese Days," would bring a tear to your eye.

Here's one from 1999:

"The Dream of Endless Nights" -- Inna and the Farlanders
-- Her music is derived from Russian peasant music, but she's given it a sort of Bulgarian Steely-Dan treatment. She's got some crazy wild-eyed musicians with bizarre folk-wind instruments and fretless electric bass.

Here's Inna at her most heavymetalish:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:38 am

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed May 07, 2014 8:43 am

The problem with this thread is that we are no closer to a definition of "Alternative" than we were back in 2008. scratch 

In Washington DC, this rate of progress is normal--but I'm surprised the general public is not demanding action.  

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:29 am

SO WHAT I WAS BASICALLY SAYING WAS THAT "ALTERNATIVE" WAS A ROCK MUSIC SUB-GENRE MARKETING TERM FROM A BYGONE DECADE AND SO IF YOU WANT TO DESCRIBE QUIRKY MUSICS, THEN THERE WOULD BE BETTER TERMS, IF THE ARTISTE KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING, THEY WILL BE CALLING IT "EXPERIMENTAL" A LOT, BUT IF THEY ARE AN ILLITERATE KOOK IN A KABIN , THEY WILL CALL IT "OUTSIDER" MUSIC ...   there are other classifications as well, but these are common ones

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:48 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:... IF THEY ARE AN ILLITERATE KOOK IN A KABIN , THEY WILL CALL IT "OUTSIDER" MUSIC ...  

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:21 pm

i thot they stopped using the term "avant garde" so much, but i gess "they" are still are still saying it for some jazz outliers.  Chewbacca pointed out that the term avant-garde is applied to music when it is considered "ahead of its time" by critics or fans, i.e., it contains unique or original elements, or it explores unusual fusions of different genres. In a historical sense, musicologists use the term "avant-garde music" for the radical compositions that succeeded the death of Anton Webern in 1945. This period is sometimes thought to begin with Wagner or maybe even Josquin des Prez.

Today the term may be used to refer to any other post-1945 tendency of modernist music not definable as experimental music, though sometimes including a type of experimental music characterized by the rejection of tonality.

Although some modernist music is also avant-garde, a distinction can be made between the two categories. Because the purpose of avant-garde music is necessarily political, social, and cultural critique, so that it challenges social and artistic values by provoking or goading audiences, composers such as Richard Strauss, Arnold Schoenberg, Anton Webern, George Antheil, and Igor Stravinsky may reasonably be considered to have been avant-gardists in their early works (which were understood as provocative, whether or not the composers intended them that way), but the label is not really appropriate for their later music.

Modernists of the post–World War II period, such as Elliott Carter, Milton Babbitt, György Ligeti, Witold Lutosławski, and Luciano Berio, never conceived their music for the purpose of goading an audience, and so cannot be classified as avant-garde. Composers such as John Cage and Harry Partch, on the contrary, remained avant-gardists throughout their creative careers.

TO GOAD OR NOT TO GOAD ... THAT IS THE QUESTION FOR MR. TOAD

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:07 pm

juan might consult chewbacca dot com to discover what would be the differences between say progressive rock band and experimental rock band ... ... progressive sounds challenge by being bombastic and fancy (YES, the band) ... while experimental jams challenge by being annoying and cuckoo ( Faust, the band)

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:13 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top