A Modeft Enquiry Into the Nature of Witchcraft, How Perfons Guilty of the Crime may be convicted : And the means ufed for their Difcovery Difcuffed, both Negatively and Affirmatively, according to SCRIPTURE and EXPERIENCE.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A Modeft Enquiry Into the Nature of Witchcraft, How Perfons Guilty of the Crime may be convicted : And the means ufed for their Difcovery Difcuffed, both Negatively and Affirmatively, according to SCRIPTURE and EXPERIENCE.

Post  pinhedz on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:41 am

Transcript of the trial of Susanna Martin in 1692:

"For the crime of witchcraft and sorcery, Susanna Martin pled not guilty. As soon as she came in many had fits.

Magistrate: Do you know this woman?

Abigial Williams saith it is Goody Martin, she hath hurt me often. Others by fits were hindered from speaking. Eliza Hubbard said she hath not been hurt by her. John Indian said he had not seen her. Mercy Lewis pointed to her and fell into a little fit. Ann Putnam threw her glove in a fit at her. The examinant laughed.

Magistrate: What! Do you laugh at it?
Martin: Well I may at such folly.
Magistrate: Is this folly, the hurt of these persons?
Martin: I never hurt man or woman or child.

Marcy Lewis cried out, she hath hurt me a great many times and pulls me down. Then Martin laughed again. Mary Walcott saith this woman hath hurt me a great many times.

Magistrate: What do you say to this?
Martin: I have no hand in witchcraft.
Magistrate: What did you do? Did not you give your consent?
Martin: No, never in my life.
Magistrate: Pray, what ails these people?
Martin: I don't know.
Magistrate: But what do you think ails them?
Martin: I do not desire to spend my judgment upon it.
Magistrate: Do not you think they are bewitched?
Martin: No, I do not think they are.
Magistrate: Tell us your thought about them then.
Martin: No. My thoughts are my own when they are in, but thwen they are out they are another's. Their master.
Magistrate: You said their master. Who do you think is their master?
Martin: If they be dealing in the black art, you may know as well as I.
Magistrate: Well, what have you done towards this?
Martin: Nothing at all.
Magistrate: Why, 'tis you or your appearance.
Martin: Well, I cannot help it.
Magistrate: Is it not your master?
Martin: I desire to lead myself according to the word of God.
Magistrate: Is this according to God's word?
Martin: If I were such a person I would tell you the truth.
Magistrate: How comes your appearance just now to hurt these?
Martin: How do I know?
Magistrate: Are not you willing to tell the truth?
Martin: I cannot tell. He that appeared in the shape of Sam[uel] shape a glorified saint may appear in anyone's shape.
Magistrate: Do you believe these do not say true?
Martin: They may lie for aught I know.
Magistrate: May not you lie?
Martin: I dare not tell a lie if it would save my life.
Magistrate: Then you will speak the Truth.
Martin: I have spoke nothing else. I would do them any good.
Magistrate: I do not think you have such affections for them whom just now you insinuated had the devil for their Master.

Eliz Hubbard was afflicted and then the Marshall who was by her said she (Martin) pinched her hard. Several of the afflicted cried out they saw her upon the beam.

Magistrate: Pray God discover you, if you be guilty.
Martin: Amen, Amen. A false tongue will never make a guilty person. < P> You have been a long time coming to the Court today; you can come fast enough in the night, said Mercy Lewis.

Martin: No, sweetheart.

Then Mercy Lewis and all many of the rest were afflicted. John Indian fell into a violet fit and said it was that woman, she bites, she bites, and then she was biting her lips.

Magistrate: Have you not compassion for these afflicted?
Martin: No, I have none.

Some cried out there was the black man with her and Goody Vibber who had not accused her before confirmed it. Abigail Williams upon trial could not come near her. Nor Goody Vibber, nor Mary Walcott. John Indian cried he would kill her if he came near Hear but he was flung down in his approach to her.

Magistrate: What is the reason these cannot come near you?
Martin: I cannot tell. It may be the Devil bears me more malice than another.
Magistrate: Do not you see how God evidently discovers you?
Martin: No. Not a bit for that.
Magistrate: All the congregation think so.
Martin: Let them think what they will.
Magistrate: What is the reason these cannot come near you?
Martin: I do not know, but they can if they will, or else if you please I will come to them.
Magistrate: What is the black man whispering to you?
Martin: There was none whispered to me."

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: A Modeft Enquiry Into the Nature of Witchcraft, How Perfons Guilty of the Crime may be convicted : And the means ufed for their Difcovery Difcuffed, both Negatively and Affirmatively, according to SCRIPTURE and EXPERIENCE.

Post  pinhedz on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:45 am

It's curious that the performers of music in the continental Celtic genre have embraced a song about a 1692 New England witch trial, written by an American in the 1970s.

Even a version in the Czech language is performed by many different Czech groups:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:49 am

I would not leave out the good news--all of the witches have now been exonerated:

"Executed Salem Witches Exonerated
by Steve LeBlanc (AP, November 2, 2001)

BOSTON (AP) -- Susannah Martin, hanged in 1692 during the Salem witch trials, can finally rest in peace.

With Salem in the throes of its annual Halloween celebration, acting Gov. Jane Swift signed into law a bill officially exonerating Martin and four others executed during the witch trials hysteria.

"The governor felt that there couldn't be a more appropriate day than Halloween to sign this bill," Swift spokeswoman Sarah Magazine said.

The bill was pushed by descendants of some of the accused witches, who said the state had never formally acknowledged the injustice.

"It brings closure to a lot of the families. These people were victims. They gave up their lives," said Democratic state Rep. Paul Tirone, who represents Amesbury, where Susannah Martin lived.

Tirone' s wife is a descendant of another of the women killed during the witch trials.

"It was a dark chapter in our history," he said.

In addition to Martin, Bridget Bishop, Alice Parker, Margaret Scott and Wilmot Redd were also exonerated.

Twenty men and women were hanged or crushed to death during the trials, fueled by the dark isolation of colonial Massachusetts, a deep belief in the supernatural, and political feuds.

The hysteria began when four young girls began dabbling in fortune telling games. When the girls started acting strange, the town doctor concluded they were "bewitched." Then the girls began naming names.

The first to be accused lived on the edges of society, but in time, the accusations spread to more prominent citizens including Salem Village' s former minister, George Burroughs.

By the end of May 1692, 200 accused witches were in jail.

After the largest group was hanged in September 1692, the thirst for prosecutions waned and the use of spectral evidence was rejected. The trials ended in May 1693, when Gov. William Phips pardoned all remaining suspects.

The Massachusetts Legislature approved a resolution exonerating some of the accused witches, including "one Ann Pudeator and certain other persons," in 1957.

The new law names those "certain other persons."

One legacy of the trials is the association of Salem and witches. Contemporary Salem, a Boston suburb of 38, 000 people, features witch museums, witch statues and stores filled with witch potions."

Copyright 2001 Associated Press. All rights reserved.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 am

I believe that Susanna Martin was one of the last to be exonerated because, of all the New England Witches, she was, according to Cotton Mather, the worst.

The Rev. Cotton Mather said about Susanna, "This woman was one of the most impudent, scurrilous, wicked creatures of this world; and she did now throughout her whole trial discover herself to be such a one. Yet when she was asked what she had to say for herself, her chief plea was that she had led a most virtuous and holy life."

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:03 am

Interested parties that can't read the 996-page record might see about finding a copy of this:

It was filmed on location--this house still stands:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:10 am

If you can't believe a Paftor, who can you believe? geek

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:45 pm

Like I said--that new Tribune miniseries is exaggerated, and the quotes are out of context.  

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:09 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top