Favorite quotes

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Favorite quotes

Post  pinhedz on Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:57 am

userо wrote:you trying to give credit to your climate change thread? Razz
I think you meant to ask: "Are you trying to give even greater credibility to your climate change thread, above and beyond the enormous credibility it already has?"

Yes? Very Happy

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  usеro on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:12 am

Ah yes. I meant that...credibility, not credit

usеro

Back to top Go down

Post  bluebottle on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:49 pm

bluebottle likes credibility. bluebottle likes credit. wotcha gonna do? Suspect

bluebottle

Back to top Go down

Post  usеro on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:20 am

how much credit do you want for your credibility services?

usеro

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:30 am

Unless I miss my guess, I expect to see Usero Los Tuyos dancing with Feliks Dzerzhinsky in Paso Robles very shortly. Shocked

That would give anybody maximal street cred. Cool

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  usеro on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:47 am

speaking of camus

can't find it. But I recall, not sure how acurate, the stranger telling himself he should have payed attention and read about death by guillotine when he was imprisoned to meet it.

ah found it:
"This problem of a loophole obsesses me; I am always wondering if there have
been cases of condemned prisoners’ escaping from the implacable machinery of
justice at the last moment, breaking through the police cordon, vanishing in the nick
of time before the guillotine falls. Often and often I blame myself for not having
given more attention to accounts of public executions. One should always take an
interest in such matters. There’s never any knowing what one may come to. Like
everyone else I’d read descriptions of executions in the papers. But technical books
dealing with this subject must certainly exist; only I’d never felt sufficiently
interested to look them up. And in these books I might have found escape stories.
Surely they’d have told me that in one case, anyhow, the wheels had stopped; that
once, if only once, in that inexorable march of events, chance or luck had played a
happy part. Just once! In a way I think that single instance would have satisfied me."

I think this has come to my mind in the sense that one might find oneself stripped off tools or find useless all s/he's developed when presented under untrodden fatal circumstances (I don't mean fatal exclusively for death and I don't mean it exclusively for a passive person)

usеro

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:13 am

Yes--In the case of death by hanging, there have been instances of people who did not die, and the law did not allow a second execution. One could think about that and hope to be the lucky one.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:20 am

In the film "The Traveling Executioner," the executioner tries to give the condemned man hope. Neutral

But, when the condemned man survived the electric chair and started to revive, the executioner hurriedly strapped him back in the chair and finished him off. Shocked

I believe the 2nd execution was illegal. Suspect

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:35 am

"I would kiss the ground upon which you walk ... if you lived in a better neighborhood."

-- Chico

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  usеro on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:23 am

"There were policemen in classes, to report. But the authorities would say well, let them say whatever they want, because thanks to mr x and mr p and mister z who say things not gallant toward the regime, the impression appears that there's freedom"- JLSampedro

usеro

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:43 am

I don't have a name, so I'll just say thank you very much, Mr. Cash."

Ain't that the truth.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:09 am

"I have a young man in my life, and his name is Hollis Johnson, and he's black as that board. Come out here, Hollis - we can't see you standing against that dark board."

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:15 am

The thing is, Hollis didn't seem to mind a bit, and he really was hard to see. 

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:08 am

I hope that comment is directed towards the general internet, because I expressed no value judgement either way.  I hope you're not being racist towards Californians and assuming just because someone's typings originate in California then theretofore they are representing some kind of California agenda.  I am from the suburbs, I am plenty in touch with the Real America.  I could throw a potato right now and hit Redwood City and let me tell you Redwood City has plenty of fat white people wearing Sporting Team Themed Clothing, it is real as shit

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:58 am

The pinhed was commenting on the cancelation of the poor lady's programs and the demand for abject apologies.

I believe user is speculating on whether or not the pinhed would read some kind of subtext into user's simply copying a quote. 

I thought everybody knew that the pinhed (being a pinhed) never reads subtexts into anything. bounce

And as for insulting Californians, I ain't done it yet, but all options are still on the table.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:45 am

ignoring "subtext" is one thing, ignoring context is another, but I'm sure the pine-head wouldnt do that .... i.e. like it or not there's an historical context which is hard to escape when a southern gringa starts throwing the word "niggger" around ... but user will offer that the yankee media marginalization of dixie yokels is sort of like kicking the proverbial retard kid or shooting the bananafish in the barrel ... i mean Sherman's March was already fairly thorough, cant the yanquis let the surenos preserve a poquito pinch of their provincial piquancy?

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:50 am

what are you going for, snooser? The David Brooks Even-Handedness Award?  Didn't  you read Steve Ditko's Avenging World in which Ditko demonstrates how the sensible middle-of-the-roader is often just conveniently taking no position at all?

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:51 am

Ehj, it's really hard to read more than five pages of that ranting Randian tract.  I like the pictures tho.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:07 am

Down with even-handedness. Compromise just means everybody agrees to live with something that all parties disagree with.

However ...
ignoring "subtext" is one thing, ignoring context is another, but I'm sure the pine-head wouldnt do that .... i.e. like it or not there's an historical context which is hard to escape when a southern gringa starts throwing the word "niggger" around ...
OK, now I see what yur talking about. But it's not so much a case of ignoring the context as just having no clue about the context. Shocked

The pinhed confesses to being ignorant about diabetic cooking-show hostesses. Neutral

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:50 am

Now I can't even figure out which comments she thinks she's apologizing for.geek

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:37 pm

It's one of those phony media contraversees for which one has to read up way more on than the original scenario could ever justify theretofore leaving the general pubic dependent upon the word of the most anemic andor swollen bloggistas backslash sadflies. That's why I left the orig quote unnattrributed, so to for hoping the anonymous ur-text could be appreciated for just its pristine poetics sans bagggaes, right

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:38 pm

why can't you just "talk" normally? it's not hard.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:38 pm

that's what she said

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:11 am

Walter Kerr wrote of Jay Robinson's hammy acting in Buy Me Blue Ribbons thus: "Mr. Robinson has delusions of adequacy,"

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:35 pm

Orson Welles said something mean about Sri Geelgud's shoddy acting but now I can't remember what Neutral 

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:37 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top