all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fact/Fiction

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fact/Fiction Empty Fact/Fiction

Post  Lee Van Queef Sun May 29, 2011 4:04 am

Over the course of his career, a number of myths have been created regarding Dylan.

Okay, to get the ball rolling.... What's the real story concerning 'Self Portrait' do you think? I mean, do people honestly believe he planned it to be shit? (Although I actually quite like it). He must have been playing around a certain extent, purely because of the title of the album and then what followed.... Nonetheless, to purposely release a crap album seems highly unlikely.

Motorcycle accident..... How badly was he hurt? Did it happen?

Newport folk festival.... Were people mainly booing because he "sold out"? Mainly booing because they thought the music was shit? Mainly booed because the sound system was terrible so it couldn't be heard properly? Did Seeger have an axe? Did he want to sort out the sound or did he want to put a stop to it all?
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Fact/Fiction Empty Re: Fact/Fiction

Post  Lee Van Queef Sun May 29, 2011 4:14 am

pinhedz wrote:What's always puzzled me is that I don't hear any booing on the Newport recording.

But the story goes (where did I get this story?) that when Peter Yarrow announced that Bob was finished after 3 tunes, the crowd started booing because they wanted more. Peter explained that Bob had only prepared 3 songs with the band (more booing), but that Bob could get his acoustic guitar and do some more songs. So, the crowd got more Bob, but the second set was acoustic.

Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention the other option about them booing because the set was too short. What was the reaction to him like when he returned with the acoustic, I've forgotten?
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Sun May 29, 2011 5:10 am

Self Portrait is one of my favourite Bob albums.

I think the motorbike accident was minor and gave him the excuse to take time out, perhaps to get off the smack?
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Sun May 29, 2011 8:21 am

Nah Ville Sky Chick wrote:Self Portrait is one of my favourite Bob albums.

Yikes! Really? I mean it's got some nice songs, but I very rarely listen to it. Double albums really have to be something special to pull off being a double album. This album I guess is special, but on the whole it's far too mediocre to be so long! (IMO!!!!!!!!!!)
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Sun May 29, 2011 10:57 pm

user wrote:Dylan wasn't trying to make a shit album, all the songs he covers are songs he genuinely admires ... but after the muppet country of Nashville Skyline failed to discourage the Dylan Cult Worshipper Loons, Dylan had to raise the stakes with Self Portrait.

So you still believe there was a motive to discourage the "worshippers"?
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Tue May 31, 2011 12:15 am

Okay okay.... Who said "Play it fuckin' loud" on the famous 'Judas' bootleg?
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Tue May 31, 2011 12:16 am

He never said Smokey Robinson was the greatest living songwriter.
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 31, 2011 12:35 am

pinhedz wrote:
Lane Coutell wrote:Okay okay.... Who said "Play it fuckin' loud" on the famous 'Judas' bootleg?
It was Bob, using his newly-acquired East-ender accent. Bob is a master of dialects--after just a few weeks in New York, the Minnesota boy's manager had become his "maniga'," as in "ya hafta towak to my maniga'."
There is actually a very good bootleg I heard about 5 years ago . I think it was called Ghosts Of Electricity" which covered this I think two people claimed to have said it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Tue May 31, 2011 2:53 am

pinhedz wrote:
Lane Coutell wrote:Okay okay.... Who said "Play it fuckin' loud" on the famous 'Judas' bootleg?
It was Bob, using his newly-acquired East-ender accent. Bob is a master of dialects--after just a few weeks in New York, the Minnesota boy's manager had become his "maniga'," as in "ya hafta towak to my maniga'."

I would be interested to know if any British people think it's a British accent. I remember a number of people at ER saying as much, but I think they were all American. Mickey Jones, the drummer at the time, believes it's an English roadie. It doesn't sound particulary English to me, although I haven't heard it in a while.
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Tue May 31, 2011 3:01 am

The New Morning Voice = he quit smoking. Bollocks!
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Tue May 31, 2011 3:17 am

Lane Coutell wrote:The New Morning Voice = he quit smoking. Bollocks!

I thought he said he had a cold Fact/Fiction 90771731
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Tue May 31, 2011 9:43 pm

Nah Ville Sky Chick wrote:
Lane Coutell wrote:The New Morning Voice = he quit smoking. Bollocks!

I thought he said he had a cold Fact/Fiction 90771731

I think he said both. Both are bollocks I imagine.
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Tue May 31, 2011 10:06 pm

Okay, here's one, how about the name 'Dylan'?

Over the years Dylan has offered a number of reasons why he chose the name 'Dylan'. I seem to remember him offering an explanation in Chronicles that seemed the most believable, but I can't actually remember his reasoning. Has it anything to do with Dylan Thomas whatsoever?

Did he ever say this quote:

“I didn't change my name in honor of Dylan Thomas. That's just a story. I've done more for Dylan Thomas than he's ever done for me. Look how many kids are probably reading his poetry now because they heard that story”

?
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Tue May 31, 2011 10:11 pm

Okay, so Dylan and Brando had a fling? I remember this story coming about from a Brando biography released a few years back. Anyone ever read that particulary biography? If so, did it seem that this was based on any facts whatsoever?

Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Tue May 31, 2011 10:29 pm

Lane Coutell wrote:He never said Smokey Robinson was the greatest living songwriter.

From an interview with Alan Abrams, former Press Agent for Motown Records:

Along the way, I created some legends that I made up on the spur of the moment. Smokey Robinson—the Bob Dylan quote about him being America’s greatest living poet—I made that up. Now, it’s been around so much that if you asked Dylan, he’d probably say he said it. I came up with wild stuff.

http://sitemaker.umich.edu/livingmusic/browse_interviews&mode=single&recordID=595398&nextMode=list
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:19 am

pinhedz wrote:And what about Pete Seeger trying to cut the cable at the Newport Folk festival with an ax? Did crazy Pete really try to do that?

Crazy Pete sez that he thought Maggie's Farm was a great song, but the sound man had the balance all wrong--you couldn't hear Bob's guitar--so he went back stage and told the sound men to turn Bob's volume up. But they insisted the volume settings were the way Bob wanted them.

Then Pete (according to Pete) said: "If I had an ax I'd cut the cable." bounce

I say serves Pete right for taking his ol' dad along. It was only because of his moaning about the sound that got Pete all wound up Fact/Fiction 3686606283
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:04 am

Lane Coutell wrote:
Nah Ville Sky Chick wrote:Self Portrait is one of my favourite Bob albums.

Yikes! Really? I mean it's got some nice songs, but I very rarely listen to it. Double albums really have to be something special to pull off being a double album. This album I guess is special, but on the whole it's far too mediocre to be so long! (IMO!!!!!!!!!!)

I had a run out to the Kent countryside today and listened to Self Portrait there and back. Very nice indeed
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:41 pm

It is a very good Album . I would have heard it 87 times at least . Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:08 pm

Doc Watson wrote:It is a very good Album . I would have heard it 87 times at least . Rolling Eyes

I have no idea what you are going on about, you talk in tongues, and what's with the rolling eyes?
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:23 am

Nah Ville Sky Chick wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:It is a very good Album . I would have heard it 87 times at least . Rolling Eyes

I have no idea what you are going on about, you talk in tongues, and what's with the rolling eyes?
I responded top your post about Self Portrait. And if I need to explain the rolling eyes . It is simply to suggest that the number 87 was made up and picked out of the air. Surprised

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:08 am

Yeah, I guess it's a nice album. I must have listened to it 18 times. Rolling Eyes
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:22 am

Simulacrum wrote:Yeah, I guess it's a nice album. I must have listened to it 18 times. Rolling Eyes

Don't you mean "I would have heard it 18 times at least" Rolling Eyes Neutral Neutral Neutral
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Van Queef Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:28 am

I have no idea what you are going on about, you talk in tongues, and what's with the non smiling faces?
Lee Van Queef
Lee Van Queef

Back to top Go down

Post  Nah Ville Sky Chick Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:26 am

Simulacrum wrote:I have no idea what you are going on about, you talk in tongues, and what's with the non smiling faces?

Laughing Wanker Neutral
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Miss Whiplash

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:32 am

Simulacrum wrote:Yeah, I guess it's a nice album. I must have listened to it 18 times. Rolling Eyes
only 18 times in 41 years ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next