Jandek

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Jandek

Post  pinhedz on Mon May 23, 2011 11:21 am

pinhedz

They say this is not a person, but a project.

The project has not come up here before (I'm not sure if that's surprising or not):

Hosni

It's not a person or a project, but a Texan distributed by Corwood Industries.

Cook Pass Babtridge

It's weird that he randomly decided to start performing live a few years back.

pinhedz

I can't hear anything going on in his live shows (of course that conclusion is based on youtube clips of audience recordings).

I think he sounds good on record, though, and not particularly weird.

Cook Pass Babtridge

pinhedz wrote:I think he sounds good on record, though, and not particularly weird.
So, which section?

Volo

folk may be the style he is closest to almost resembling. atonal ghost town blues. kind of like the banjo kid in deliverance if he was a pod person who had no grasp on how to play the guitar or what a melody is. you could also compare it to those all white paintings in museums with one black dot. like "anyone could do it". or a retarded five year old. it's just that i would immediately hear if it was that.
the oft masterpiece-tagged Blue Corpse is obviously praised because for once the guitar is properly tuned. on You Walk Alone jandek brought in a schooled musician who tries to carry the songs with conventional blues riffing. but to me, this guitarist sounds amateurish in that blatant teenager who's learnt a few chords and wants to show it off-way, which is just the complete opposite of jandek's unassuming sound and image.
then we have the lyrics which perhaps don't seem like the most coherent, but certainly betrays an intact intellect. detached stream of conciousness, slightly surreal and poetic, they are an equivalent to the dissonant, impulse-driven guitar.

most of the latter day live recordings features jandeks bellowing out of a uniquely prepared piece of lyrics and his noisy guitar blasts over a couple sensibly handpicked musicians, some of which, for instance, have one foot in the free jazz scene and bring welcome influences. the guitar tone on the debut Ready For The House is one of the most wretched, disturbing sounds ever recorded. 60 releases later nothing really beats it, but on some live releases his electric guitar has a satisfyingly raw, tinny sound. still, it certainly doesn't sound haunted or remarkably disturbing.
the piano shows are useless. the shunning of conventional musicianship is too naked on an instrument you can't just manipulate and detune as you please.

are there artists out there with an equally legendary status despite such a reclusive attitude in general?
he is known to have done two interviews, albeit in a tightlipped manner. both in the 80s. we can gather from those that the name Jandek was made up with the current month January and the person he was talking to on the phone, Decker. as well as a little bit about what Corwood Industries is and that he likes Tom Petty, not terribly much else.

Cook Pass Babtridge

I haven't listened to him for ages. But when this thread was started it prompted me to download some of his stuff, I ended up grabbing his whole discography. So, errrr, which album should I start with? Be gentle, like a beginner.

Volo

you already have everything downloaded? finding them all is the hardest part Smile

here's a nice site reviewing most jandek albums. http://www.furious.com/perfect/jandek/jandekreviews.html
not that i agree, but it could maybe be of use to you.

he was the most accessible in the end of the 80s you could say. but as i mentioned, i'm not that keen on that period.
some of my favorite albums from different periods are
ready for the house
chair beside a window
telegraph melts
new town
glasgow sunday
interstellar discussion
graven image
khartoum

Hosni

I hear Corwood Industries is trying to transition to a business model based primarily on e-commerce payment processing systems.

Cook Pass Babtridge

That's what she said.

Hosni

A sphincter says what?

Cook Pass Babtridge

What?

Volo

this show is an hour of balsam for the ears:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Jandek

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed May 25, 2011 10:57 am

Corwood Industries latest live performances have confirmed it has lost the cutting edge, and would be lucky now to sever gelatin. I see C.I. is opening for Guy & Ralna at the Boardwalk, this summer.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top