The communists of Oz

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The communists of Oz

Post  pinhedz on Mon May 23, 2011 10:14 am

pinhedz
Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:07 am

I think anyone can see that the soldiers in this scene are Russian, and the soundtrack music is by Prokofiev and Moussorgsky (not exactly subtle Rolling Eyes ).

But are they tsarist, or Bolshevik? Just what is this movie really about?

Carnap

I always figure the soldiers were Russians and were from the Tsarist era.

Interestingly, they are pretty scary looking and exotic, they work for the bad witch, and you think they are themselves bad. But when the bad witch dies, they reveal themselves to be good. It was just the bad witch who made them bad.

It was the bad witch who was the cause of all the badness. As soon as the source of the badness is removed, everything turns out all right.

I don't know what to make of it.

Perhaps the story means to say the Tsar was the cause of all the problems in Russia and as soon as he dies, those under him turn out to be just fine. But that goes against my conception of the Russian Revolution and it's aftermath.

pinhedz

Does it mean the Hollywood movie producers were communist propagandists?

Carnap

That'd be a stretch, I would think. It was a stretch to come up with that analogy. Isn't it? Hmmm ... I wonder ...

Doesn't the music when the soldiers are marching sound a little bit like Volga Boat song, but darker?

t.r.

Very Happy I've always thought it meant you're not in Kansas anymore.

pinhedz

Carnap wrote:Doesn't the music when the soldiers are marching sound a little bit like Volga Boat song, but darker?
It does. Then, as things liven up it turns into a march by (I think) Prokofiev (unless it's Shostakovich), then during the rescue it turns into "Night on Bald Mountain" by Moussorgsky.

So, we have Soviet composers for the marching, and a pre-revolutionary composer for the rescue. Do you suppose the witch actually represents Stalin?

Carnap

Let's see, if the bad witch was Stalin, then the demise of the bad witch and the rise of the good soldiers from the bad would have been a hopeful prediction rather than a recounting of the past. In that case, those Hollywood producers of the movie were anti-communist!

I guess you can make a case either way. And either way it's probably wrong.

Nice movie anyhow.

Carnap

Isn't that art deco style they have in the architecture of Oz? As a youngster I always found it kind of creepy.

Charlie Sheen

I love art deco, but I didn't even notice it in the film....I like the Belgian variety from what I remember......even the faux stuff in Miami.......it's one of my favourite types of architecture......

I think the book by Frank Baum The Wonderful Wizard of Oz has been picked apart by people trying to assign alternative meanings to it....I don't think the film was meant to be a allegory of any sort about Russia....despite the music

Goat Smith

The only coherent message that I was able to uncover from the book or the movie was that: You can take the Girl and her dog out of Kansas but she will always fancy fancy shoes.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: The communists of Oz

Post  pinhedz on Mon May 23, 2011 10:17 am

Charlie Sheen wrote:I love art deco, but I didn't even notice it in the film....I like the Belgian variety from what I remember......even the faux stuff in Miami.......it's one of my favourite types of architecture......

I think the book by Frank Baum The Wonderful Wizard of Oz has been picked apart by people trying to assign alternative meanings to it....I don't think the film was meant to be a allegory of any sort about Russia....despite the music
I would say not about Russia , but it could still be about com-yoo-nists.

The art deco gave me nightmares. affraid

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:31 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:45 pm

Sponsored content