Re: Beatles Music

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:51 pm

boat on a river no limit son

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Otro Pinzata on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:45 am

http://www.youtube.com/v/OMNPPwq8I2Y

That is the music of my grandmother...or is it my great-grandmother?

Otro Pinzata

Back to top Go down

Post  Otro Pinzata on Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:59 pm

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Beatles.

Otro Pinzata

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:04 pm

oh ... shud i get you pine-apples insted?

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:13 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat May 03, 2014 10:26 am

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:47 am

The other day I had my iPod on shuffle, and for some odd coincidence five songs by George Harrison came on in a row. Now I do have most of the Beatles albums loaded on there, but it’s hardly the only thing I have, so five Harrison songs coming up in a random shuffle was statistically improbable. It was also a little illuminating, in the sense that I realized that Harrison, in each song, was really irritated and, in many cases, was using the song either to criticize someone or tell someone off.

Harrison is known as the Quiet One, the Spiritual One, the least egotistical one (at least of the three songwriters) — and each case the reputation is probably well-founded. But I don’t think anyone thinks of him as the Irritated One. But at least in half of the songs he did with the Beatles, he was indeed expressing irritation.

And lest this be mistaken for a band preoccupation rather than an individual tendency, it should be noted that the other two songwriters in the group rarely used songs to express irritation. John Lennon usually wrote about how screwed up he was, or at least how he happened to be feeling, or what was going on around him; and Paul McCartney, I’M LOOKING THROUGH YOU aside, was usually pretty upbeat, being upbeat by nature.

By Nan count, Harrison recorded 20 songs with the Beatles. Nine could be considered outside the irritated pattern: I NEED YOU, LOVE YOU TOO, ONLY A NORTHERN SONG, IT’S ALL TOO MUCH, BLUE JAY WAY, SOMETHING, LONG LONG LONG, HERE COMES THE SUN and FOR YOU BLUE. Even a couple of those have a slight edge. “Love You Too,” for example, refers to “people standing around who screw you in the ground.” And part of the power of “Something” is in its brutal honesty, in that the lyric to a seemingly ecstatic coda has Harrison saying he doesn’t know if he’s going to stay in love or not.

This is the key, in a sense. Harrison makes the setting for his brutal honesty so lilting that you often don’t notice that he’s being harsh or complaining or saying something that is downright unpleasant. ALL THINGS MUST PASS, which he wrote while with the Beatles and which formed the title of his first solo album, seems like a philosophical rumination on impermanence — but the context for it, within the song, is that he’s breaking up with a woman and trying to console her. His “love” has left her “with no warning.” I’m sure she appreciated the philosophical advice.

Let’s look at some other titles:

DON’T BOTHER ME — pretty self-explanatory.

IF I NEEDED SOMEONE — Basically he’s gloating over the fact that he’s not interested in someone, telling this person to put her number on his wall and maybe he’ll call her.

THINK FOR YOURSELF — The whole song involves him telling someone off.

TAXMAN — He doesn’t like the taxman.

WITHIN YOU WITHOUT YOU — The song describes sitting around talking with other people about how everybody else is screwed up.

WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS — His guitar is weeping because the people he’s singing to are all screwed up.

PIGGIES — A criticism of cops and others who aren’t hippies. Fairly coarse, in that the harshness of the sentiment is uncharacteristically obvious.

SAVOY TRUFFLE — Even this seeming bauble is talking about how you are what you eat, so if this is what you eat, what are you?

I ME MINE — A criticism of selfishness.

In between there, you get OLD BROWN SHOE, which is a sort of love song and somewhat disguised in its point of view. But what he’s saying is that he is looking for sexual variety, describing the women that have gone before as an “Old Brown Shoe.”

Anyway, this is not a criticism. It’s more like a way into the work, an angle in. Lennon, for all his seeming confidence, was always, in the private recesses of his songwriter’s heart, thinking of himself as a mess. But Harrison not only thought he was OK, but he thought he was OK enough to prescribe for YOU. And, unlike most who do it, he was pretty good at it. This is in contrast to Lennon who, for a brief period in his solo career, started prescribing and wrote the worst songs of his life (SOME TIME IN NEW YORK CITY). What was natural to one wasn’t natural to the other.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:21 am

pigflowerpigflowerpigflowerpigflowerpigflowerpigflower

pigflowerpigflowerpigflowerpigflowerpigflowerpigflower

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:33 am

Who wouldn't want a pony!...save Jerry.

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:31 am

some don't like horse

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:08 am

THE SEACREST FILES

Ryan Seacrest: What’s the story of your song “FourFiveSeconds” with Rihanna and Paul McCartney?

Kanye: I had the amazin opportunity to work with Paul McCartney and you know, we just went in and vibed out. As you can see, I might be a little bit more angst than Paul. And remember the last time when Paul had somebody really angst working with them, the type of music they made? Hey everyone, America, I’m not comparing myself to John Lennon, I’m just saying I’m angst a bit like John Lennon. And … tension creates a new magic. The pressure creates the diamond from the coal. And he came in with the best vibes ever, and I said, “Four, five, seconds from wildin’,” and he said, “It’s great everyone!” and we just had that. And then Rihanna heard it — I’m executive producing Rihanna’s album — and she heard it, and literally she was not going to be satisfied until she had this record. Excuse me if I compare Rihanna to Annie Lennox, but I feel like she has this type of energy in her vocals.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:34 am

^
Grushchenka explained to the pinhed about how girls have fantasies that are not supposed to come true, and if anyone tries to make them come true, she'll blast him with an elephant gun (that might be one of her fantasies affraid ).

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:40 pm

Sorry, Beatles, Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975) by The Eagles outsold all of your albums.   Crying or Very sad

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:31 am

How can you hate the fucking eagles?

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:36 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:28 am

woo wrote:

I didn't know there were African Americans that would listen to the Eagles. scratch

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:07 am

pinhedz wrote:
woo wrote:

I didn't know there were African Americans that would listen to the Eagles. scratch

My friend Greg the ukulele man digs the Eagles!

http://chalkboardukulele.blogspot.com/2011/09/father-and-son-ukesters-greg-and-jonah.html

"Leonard Novarro, another longtime fan who thinks only the Beatles are a better band then the Eagles, agrees with Givant."
http://therenodispatch.blogspot.com/2013/02/exclusive-eagles-fans-angered-by-new.html

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:35 am

I hate the fucking Eagles continues 

https://www.yahoo.com/music/glenn-freys-death-spurs-new-hate-for-the-eagles-224712250.html  

I am surprised that someone could really hate them

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:01 pm

Maybe Miss Manners should remind Mr. Kuntzman that's it's OK to insult someone at his funeral--if he's named Lavrentii Beria or John Wayne Gacey--but otherwise, not.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:39 pm

pinhedz wrote:Maybe Miss Manners should remind Mr. Kuntzman that's it's OK to insult someone at his funeral--if he's named Lavrentii Beria or John Wayne Gacey--but otherwise, not.

Amen.

This gave me a bit of the tears: 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/19/opinions/eliot-glenn-frey/

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:24 am

woot wrote:I am surprised that someone could really hate them

It is partly an East / West thing, like Biggie and Tupacs.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6851078/eagles-hatred-explainer-defense-glenn-frey

as for taking themselves too seriously, that would apply much more to Henley than Frey.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:29 pm

I didn't love them, but to me hating seems like over-reacting.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:20 pm

I didn't like them much until I discovered New Yorkers hated them. And Pedro says, nowadays Mellow Sounds of the 1970s is edgier than punk rocking.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:47 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:
I didn't like them much until I discovered New Yorkers hated them.  And Pedro says, nowadays Mellow Sounds of the 1970s is edgier than punk rocking.

https://youtu.be/_oIH8bNsRpU

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:02 pm

Felder? I think he was the only one who got kicked out of the band twice.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:16 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top