all across the universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you find a job?

+11
LaRue
Lee Van Queef
tatiana
tigerlily
Nah Ville Sky Chick
Constance
felix
precinct14
Old Mack
eddie
Dick Fitzwell
15 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

How do you find a job? Empty How do you find a job?

Post  Dick Fitzwell Sun May 15, 2011 1:07 pm

I'm 20 and I've never had a job, how do I find one? Will anyone hire a long-haired 20 year old reprobate with no work experience?

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

How do you find a job? Empty Re: How do you find a job?

Post  Dick Fitzwell Sun May 15, 2011 1:54 pm

I graduated high school and I am enrolled in college.

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Sun May 15, 2011 2:17 pm

No, I'm looking for a full time job, it's summer.

edit: plus I don't think I will be going back in the fall.

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 15, 2011 2:32 pm

I had my first job 4 days after I finished secondary school.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Sun May 15, 2011 2:36 pm

Strawberry Jam wrote:Do you have job centres in the US?

We don't have anything spelled "centre," because that is not a word in our language

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Sun May 15, 2011 2:47 pm

Why would I want a job as a sentry

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 16, 2011 12:38 am

Captain Hi-Top wrote:

We don't have anything spelled "centre," because that is not a word in our language
Centre is the correct spelling

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Mon May 16, 2011 2:39 am

maybe in ye olde monarchy Rolling Eyes

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 16, 2011 10:36 am

Captain Hi-Top wrote:

Your languasge is just a dialect or sub set of English.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Mon May 16, 2011 3:09 pm

But seriously, where do I find a job? How do I know who's hiring? People told me to look in the newspaper...but my town doesn't have a newspaper, and I don't think we get the paper from the next town over (where I would most likely be working) so I guess I'll have to go pick one up

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 16, 2011 3:11 pm

pinhedz wrote:"Centre" is French spelling (as in "la conférence se déroulera dans le centre de Paris").

Daniel Webster corrected the spelling errors made by the British.

The British have also forgotten how to pronounce English, but fortunately it has been preserved in some remote parts of Virginia.
The English language came from many sources . After the Norman invasion many french words became accepted by English Speakers
Daniel Webster Americanised English but did not correct errors.
A living language such as English is constantly changing , both in England and places where English people settled such as Canada , Australia New Zealand , The United States and many other places.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 16, 2011 3:12 pm

Captain Hi-Top wrote:But seriously, where do I find a job? How do I know who's hiring? People told me to look in the newspaper...but my town doesn't have a newspaper, and I don't think we get the paper from the next town over (where I would most likely be working) so I guess I'll have to go pick one up
The internet is a source for jobs now.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Mon May 16, 2011 3:19 pm

I don't even get newspapers and you think any jobs around here will be on the internet?

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 16, 2011 3:22 pm

Captain Hi-Top wrote:I don't even get newspapers and you think any jobs around here will be on the internet?
I do not know what it is like in your area , but I know that where I live a lot of jobs are advertised online.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell Mon May 16, 2011 3:44 pm

I already know exactly what I'm gonna do with my life, I just need to get a job so I can move out and start doing it. College cannot prepare me for my chosen career field.

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie Mon May 16, 2011 4:13 pm

Intern Nation by Ross Perlin – review

Ross Perlin's book about the tyranny of the internship is a perceptive study based on hard experience

Anna Winter The Observer, Sunday 15 May 2011

How do you find a job? Internships-007
All right for some: Chelsea Clinton joins a meeting with Denis Aitken of the WHO during her internship with the organisation, Geneva, 2002. Photograph: Reuters/ Corbis

In February, a Conservative party fundraiser auctioned off internships at City firms and glossy magazines. With thousands of young people struggling to find work, wealthy Tory backers paid thousands to secure plum opportunities for their children.

How do you find a job? Intern-Nation
Intern Nation by Ross Perlin

While Nick Clegg sermonises about social mobility, David Cameron has admitted to being "very relaxed" about giving an internship in his constituency office to his neighbour's son. Cameron's words, bringing to mind Mandelson's 2008 admission that he was "incredibly relaxed about people becoming filthy rich", seemed almost calculated to stir resentment. Despite all political parties swearing allegiance to "fairness", today's blighted economy still offers ways for the elite to flourish through a system of privilege and patronage. In the guise of widening opportunity, internships often promote social injustice, shutting out those who cannot afford to work for nothing. This, however, is not the whole story behind the recent, chaotic "internship boom".

The culture of unpaid work is troubling and complex but rarely subject to thorough scrutiny. American writer Ross Perlin's Intern Nation is a compelling investigation of a trend that threatens to destroy "what's left of the ordered world of training, hard work and fair compensation". With entry-level jobs disappearing and competition fierce, many young people slip into a "relentless credentialing slog", amassing internships in the hope that a resplendent CV, a testament to dedication, may unlock the door to that elusive prospect – the paid job. In the UK, "internship" once denoted a structured period of experience with a guaranteed stipend. As anyone who has recently tried interning knows, this is no longer the case.

Perlin traces the history of the internship, which originally referred to a time of training in the medical profession. The term was appropriated by Capitol Hill, before spreading insidiously across the globe. In the popular consciousness, it calls to mind eager coffee-fetchers, bright-eyed at the photocopier, while the "Monica-gate" scandal represents intern willingness gone too far.

But the proliferation of internships has blurred any sense of meaning. As Perlin says, the word itself is a "smokescreen, lumping together an explosion of intermittent and precarious roles". While "entire industries rely unabashedly on this source of free or cheap labour", the question of legality is obscured as hordes of graduates willingly accept their devalued positions. The Disney college scheme is a particularly disturbing example. Clouded in the rhetoric of dreams and make-believe, this megacorporation lures college students to do barely compensated "grunt work" with the promise of bogus "academic credit", undercutting its regular workers in the process.

With great clarity, Perlin delineates the economic circumstances in which the internship boom has flourished, a "fast-changing, intangible economy built on networks and highly general skills". In this uncertain environment, "go-it-alone autonomy is pitched as a way to survive". Looking further back, "post-industrial, networked capitalism has provided the ideal petri dish for the growth of internships… one of many forms of nonstandard or contingent labour that have mushroomed since the 1970s". The rise of internships goes with the decline of apprenticeships. This system of solid, paid training has deteriorated with the gradual loss of interest in, and respect for, skilled labour.

Perlin's sociological insights are complemented by his personal experience of interning at a London NGO, working 300 hours without pay. His observations resonate. Financial circumstances dictate how long one can play the internship game. Like other interns Perlin describes, I too have used up all my savings in the absence of a salary. While my granny might have envisioned me putting down a deposit on a modest London property, I decided to put my stake in internships, hoping that they would be an investment for the future and bring security in the end. Every stint has involved a mixture of hope and despondency, a feeling of progress tempered by the frustration of not being able to become a "proper" adult. Perlin incisively documents this "prolonged adolescence" experienced by many interns.

This is not to say that all internships are worthless. It is possible to learn a lot and grow in confidence. But the dishing out of "little indignities and pointless errands" is often prevalent. Perlin gives many telling examples which ring true for a veteran intern. Having deigned to ask my name, the editor at one magazine then dispatched me to fetch her lunch (a joyless fat-free repast which I placed meekly on her desk, my mind seething with invective).

Full of restrained force and wit, this is a valuable book on a subject that demands attention. While the intern explosion is "symptomatic of a drastically unequal, hyper-competitive world in the making", Perlin has some hope for a more equal future with legal protection and improved rights for interns. Beyond legislation, an entire ethos must change to counter complicity in a system that is corrosive and unfair.

Anna Winter has been an intern at various newspapers and magazines.

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2011
eddie
eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mack Mon May 16, 2011 5:30 pm

How do you find a job? I-want-you-for-us-army
Old Mack
Old Mack

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 16, 2011 6:11 pm

Captain Hi-Top wrote:I already know exactly what I'm gonna do with my life, I just need to get a job so I can move out and start doing it. College cannot prepare me for my chosen career field.
Strawberry Jam has given you some excellent advice , now it is up to you.

Back to top Go down

Post  precinct14 Mon May 16, 2011 7:41 pm

Captain Hi-Top wrote:I already know exactly what I'm gonna do with my life

And what's that?
precinct14
precinct14
Coming up empty from the piggy bank?

Back to top Go down

Post  felix Mon May 16, 2011 10:02 pm

Captain Hi-Top wrote:No, I'm looking for a full time job, it's summer.

edit: plus I don't think I will be going back in the fall.
It's Summer? In May? When does Summer start in your part of the World? And when does Summer become Autumn? Just wondering. cat

Some of the old geezers here have given very good advice. Andy's post f'rinstance.

Take this advice, study it, absorb it - then go out and start looking and asking and generally pushing Capt Hi-Ho as a must-have employee.

Good luck, young pardner! How do you find a job? 4242516590 How do you find a job? 3386054303 How do you find a job? 3386054303
felix
felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Back to top Go down

Post  precinct14 Mon May 16, 2011 10:59 pm

If you're not too ugly, how about trimming your locks, moving to the Cote D'Azur, and becoming an American gigolo? I met a friend of a friend down there, who taught English to French students, and hung out in swanky hotel bars, of an evening, being picked up by older women. You could teach the kids to pronounce 'route' 'rout' (or 'rowt'), by day, and root their mothers by night.
precinct14
precinct14

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Mon May 16, 2011 11:08 pm

Hi Top, is there any way you can stay in college?

You will be seriously disadvantaged if you don't have a college degree.

More later, have to wake up the little one.
Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  precinct14 Mon May 16, 2011 11:38 pm

ANDY wrote:
precinct14 wrote:If you're not too ugly, how about trimming your locks, moving to the Cote D'Azur, and becoming an American gigolo? I met a friend of a friend down there, who taught English to French students, and hung out in swanky hotel bars, of an evening, being picked up by older women. You could teach the kids to pronounce 'route' 'rout' (or 'rowt'), by day, and root their mothers by night.

If there is any variation in this job which involves the older brothers instead of the mothers, I would love to be informed, monsieur! How do you find a job? 1295889145

I'm sure the interfamilial cross-pollination possibilities, in this particular métier, have expanded dramatically since he stopped plying his trade, monsieur. How do you find a job? 1295889145
precinct14
precinct14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 17, 2011 12:11 am

As others have said here a lot of jobs go to those in the know. Ask among your friends.
If you know the type of job you want go and visit the firms etc where those jobs might be, leave your resume , call back every few days to see if anything has happened which could help you.

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance Tue May 17, 2011 12:18 am

Hi Top, most jobs are posted on the internet now.

With only a high school degree, you'll be limited to mostly hourly wage jobs.

The best source for hourly wage jobs is SnagAJob.com. You will definitely find suitable jobs here.

Go there and enter your zip code and say how many miles you are willing to travel.

Jobs will appear on the screen.

I just did a search there saying I could travel 25 miles and a lot of jobs came up.

Two other sites for jobs are Monster.com and CareerBuilders.com. With these you'll have to scroll through a lot of jobs to fine those which only require a high school degree.

Big companies have job applications posted on their web site. See Home Depot for an example, or A&P. Search the big companies around you.

You may be disappointed to see that most jobs for just a high school degree will be part-time with no health insurance, benefits, or retirement plan. Even with two part-time jobs you will have trouble making ends meet.

If you can't do a college degree, you should go to the site for your Community College and see all the jobs they have certification programs for. Some certification courses are as short as 6 months. A lot of jobs are available in health care, but you need a certificate in something like, say radiation technician.

You would be much better off in getting a two-year Associates degree in something that targets a specific career. That is what community colleges are geared for. You can get student loans to cover the tuition. You can find a part-time job and take courses at night.

Keep us posted on how your search goes.

Constance
Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next