[ 4 ]
20% 20% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 5

Stupid Americans

Post  pinhedz on Mon May 09, 2011 7:11 am

pinhedz
Sat May 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Говорите, что американцы тупые и не могут ответить на элементарные вопросы, заданные им на улицах??? А теперь посмотрите на русских, считающих себя самыми умными на земле, в точно такой же ситуации. Делайте выводы.

Translation:
You say that Americans are ignorant and can't answer the most elementary questions when asked on the street??? Take a look at Russians, who consider themselves the smartest in the world, under the same circumstances. You be the judge.

Among other things we will learn:

-- Mao Zedong is a Japanese pop singer, or a monk, or a God.
-- In Latin America, do they speak Latin? -- of course not, they speak American.
-- What are Hiroshima and Nagasaki known for? -- They are famous Japanese artists.
-- Neil Armstrong is Louis' brother
-- The main religion in Israel is Islam. Or Buddhism.
-- 3 main religions in the world: Protestantism, Russian Orthodox Christianity, and Catholicism.
-- How many world wars were there? -- err... err
-- What is the monument to the Bronze horseman? -- err ... err

= ANDY =

Which will boil down to 'people are stupid'.
I'm sure you can easily achieve similar results in any major european city as well.
Makes one wonder about the virtues of democracy, doesn't it?

pinhedz

I might not have the exact wording here:

"The strongest argument against democracy is a 5-minute conversation with an average voter."
-- Winston Churchill

"Democracy is the worst political system there ever could be--except for all the others that have been tried."
-- Winston Churchill

pinhedz

In case anyone missed the question about The Bronze Horseman, here it is--the monument to Peter the Great in St. Petersburg:

Now you can vote.

Hosni

Armenians are dafter than boths.

pinhedz

Two votes for America, but the sample size is still too small.

The rest of you get off your hinders and vote (actually you can stay on your hinders and vote bounce ).

John McLaughlin

On the evidence, this is a stupid exercise.

pinhedz

John McLaughlin wrote:On the evidence, this is a stupid exercise.

But you just spent more time typing that it would have taken to vote Razz .

John McLaughlin

Define "stupider," and be prepared to factor in poor schooling.

pinhedz

Sure, why not.

By stupid, I mean low intelligence. By intelligence, I mean not native intelligence, but intelligence as the integrated result of nature and nurture--including schooling.

pinhedz

btw--the Russian word was "tupoy," which could be translated as dull, dim, or ignorant.

John McLaughlin

So you don't believe in, for example, intelligent non-literate people who've managed to avoid schooling? Do you make a distinction between intelligence and ignorance at all? Finally, are you aware of Howard Gardner and Daniel Goleman's work on multiple intelligences?

John McLaughlin

Ignorance is removable; stupidity is not.

pinhedz

I'm not going to edit the wording in this thread topic bounce .

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Stupid Americans

Post  pinhedz on Mon May 09, 2011 7:27 am

I didn't include that as an option, because it would allow people to dodge the question being asked.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon May 09, 2011 7:28 am

Last time all voters voted American, so now we'll find out if our approval rating has changed at all.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon May 09, 2011 7:40 am

I hope that Katerina will vote--and also comment.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell on Mon May 09, 2011 8:31 am

I need more data to decide

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  ISN on Mon May 09, 2011 11:57 pm

my considered...hehehe....response is that the majority of Americans are pretty dumb......

but they probably have a lot of other qualities and characteristics that come in very handy

depends on the demographics a bit too......

if you believe wisdom comes with age

I have no experience of Russians apart from the common (mis?)conception that they drink away their sorrows

to have sorrows is probably a bit more intelligent than blissful stupidity

to drink them away is always a decent option if it produces sublime poetry and literature and angst....heheheh

and is not too heavy on the domestic violence statistics and crashing your troika incidents.......

so Americans - yes

Russians - no

I think if the choice got much bigger I'd be floundering a bit

it might even be possible that I've added something valuable to the debate, but I doubt it

Last edited by Catherine on Tue May 10, 2011 12:13 am; edited 2 times in total

ISN
Endlessly Fascinating

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance on Tue May 10, 2011 12:11 am

Well, I often make snap judgments that a person is stupid only to see that they're not after we talk for a short while. I went to a college planning night at our local library recently and judged by the looks of the presenter and the rest of the audience that they were all pretty stupid, but as it turned out, the presenter was really sharp and the other women asked cogent questions.

At least this is true where I live, adjoining New England and north of New York City.

I would venture to say that there are more stupid people in the Bible belt. At the least they have some stupid ideas. But overall that might be an elitest judgment.

Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  Constance on Tue May 10, 2011 12:12 am

A lot of Americans lack style and finesse, but they have it way over the Russians.

Constance

Back to top Go down

Post  ISN on Tue May 10, 2011 12:15 am

finesse is a great thing to have (especially when you can display it)

I'm sure you would agree it's pretty redundant unless people notice it

without getting too mental about the concept of finesse (my recent 'issue' with exactness which is usually a problem associated with the kind of stress that ends up in a nervous breakdown - as the Americans like to say - we ain't out of the woods yet)

I think Americans are a bit short on finesse

(if you call it nuance, the Chinese win big time)

what the Americans lose out on in the finesse stakes

they make up for with panache (whether based on something worthwhile or not)

although I think the French combine finesse and panache in a lovely little package

(as far as I know, they invented both.....just kidding)

maybe I should move to France - heheheh - I bet I'd fit in really well......hehehe

I'd probably sound like a dumb American if I lived in gay Paris......justly so

with my fukked up accent and timorous ways......

anyway, enough about me

I think we were talking about the French scratch

Last edited by Catherine on Tue May 10, 2011 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

ISN
Endlessly Fascinating

Back to top Go down

Post  ISN on Tue May 10, 2011 12:44 am

Constance wrote:Well, I often make snap judgments that a person is stupid only to see that they're not after we talk for a short while. I went to a college planning night at our local library recently and judged by the looks of the presenter and the rest of the audience that they were all pretty stupid, but as it turned out, the presenter was really sharp and the other women asked cogent questions.

At least this is true where I live, adjoining New England and north of New York City.

I would venture to say that there are more stupid people in the Bible belt. At the least they have some stupid ideas. But overall that might be an elitest judgment.

I would never judge whether someone was intelligent by their looks

with me intelligence (whether mine - could be 'lack of' - or others) is the barometer of everything I value in life.......from the days when my Dad said I was 'very smart', and proving it became the means of transferring his abundant love to my young heart

I could never judge someone's intelligence by their looks - whether 'snap' or not

but the words they use and choose (not to mention the concepts within which they are wrapped), the grammar of their tongue and idiom, the imagination or even the brevity, say a whole lot about their brains.....(and personalities, which we must admit are not far removed)

I love delving into people's brains, to ascertain, to my own fussy standards - where they sit on the intelligence scale

it's especially wonderful when I happen upon people who are close to genius......it's a particular foible of mine to judge people's intelligence

it's not hypocritical, because I'm pretty sure I'm around average

when I judge someone by their looks - it's more often to do with whether they have class, style, beauty etc and none of those are as important to me as intelligence......but it's fun guessing

I realise that I am an asshole......so don't tell me anymore.....like they say on the 'novellas'

I get it

Last edited by Catherine on Tue May 10, 2011 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total

ISN
Endlessly Fascinating

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell on Tue May 10, 2011 2:37 am

The main criterion I use in judging someone's intelligence is whether they believe in a magic invisible sky wizard or not. Grammar (especially on the internet) has no correlation with intelligence as far as I can see (if it did, you'd be the dumbest person here by far).

edit: something else that is a pretty big indicator of (lack of) intelligence- making judgments without any evidence (ie, voting for Americans over Russians in a "who is stupider?" poll without knowing any Americans or Russians and without seeing any statistics about the intelligence or education of either population).

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  ISN on Tue May 10, 2011 2:44 am

The main criterion I use in judging someone's intelligence is whether they believe in a magic invisible sky wizard or not. Grammar (especially on the internet) has no correlation with intelligence as far as I can see (if it did, you'd be the dumbest person here by far)...

knee-jerk nasty response ain't gonna happen........although I'm pretty sure you're waiting for it.......

I think you might be confusing punctuation with grammar - the former is pretty integral to the latter - but most of these things are quite obvious......

I often deign to ignore stupid people........Smile

which is quite hard for me to do......and often unsuccessful as you might have noticed

while on the contrary......in a kind of placating effort

I don't think you're particularly stupid............you are in a general kind of sense but you have a kind of intelligence that is aggressive

and I like that Smile

ISN
Endlessly Fascinating

Back to top Go down

Post  ISN on Tue May 10, 2011 3:06 am

Last edited by Catherine on Tue May 10, 2011 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

ISN
Endlessly Fascinating

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mack on Tue May 10, 2011 9:57 am

pinhedz wrote:In case anyone missed the question about The Bronze Horseman, here it is--the monument to Peter the Great in St. Petersburg:

Even I knew that one and I only have a 9th grade education.

Old Mack

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue May 10, 2011 10:58 am

No Russian should have missed that one. Crying or Very sad

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  ISN on Wed May 11, 2011 12:41 am

I think Andy's right.......(well, he doesn't need my endorsement......his words speak for themselves)

but it's kinda like what Still Mack was saying about ultraliberals.......they never try to understand the other person's point of view or opinion

they just are adamant about whatever it is they're trying to convince you of......

they're like bulldozers.......

(now, I'm just extending that description for the purpose of this post - not saying you're an ultraliberal, Hi-Top)

but even though I've said that, I think it's healthy for you to be confident and assertive (aggressive).....without patronising you

I love that kind of fuk off attitude.....

even when it's me that is being told to fuk off

I really think it's healthy

ISN
Endlessly Fascinating

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell on Wed May 11, 2011 3:27 am

ANDY wrote:
Captain Hi-Top wrote:The main criterion I use in judging someone's intelligence is whether they believe in a magic invisible sky wizard or not.

While I absolutely share your opinon in this matter from a personal perspective - I've been involved in too many discussions concerning this matter both on ATU Ze First and the other place -, I don't think it's a very usefull criterium to judge someone's intelligence.

Pytaghoras, Aristotle, Plotinus, St. Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, William of Ockham, Copernicus, René Descartes, Isaac Newton, Immanuel Kant, G.W.F. Hegel, Charles Darwin, Alfred North Whitehead, T.S. Eliot etc. all had some sort of religious belief and many of them pretty much define the realm of 'intelligence' in our day and time.
If you were to take away the achievements of each of these men - in fact, take away Aristotle and a fair number of the names dropped loose their fundament - from the collective body of intellectual inquiry of human kind and you're pretty much stuck with a degree of intelligence that dates back from the time animism ruled the world.

Most of those people lived in a time where they really didn't know better. Obviously Newton was a great scientist and was very religious...but he lived in the 1600's...we know so much more about the universe now that it's completely illogical to be a theist. But you're right, it's not really a judge of "intelligence." Plenty of religious people are very classically "smart." But the fact that they believe in an invisible force with no evidence shows a distinct lack of critical thinking ability.

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed May 11, 2011 3:31 am

I have two litmus tests for stupidity:

-- People who believe creationism (or intelligent design, whatever they're calling bible studies this year) should be taught in science class;

-- People that were trying to prove Obama was not a natural born US citizen, and couldn't be bothered to check the definition in the Immigration and Naturalization Acts of the 1790s.

Either of those is proof positive of mush for brains (mind you, I was taught the bible in school--in religion class, where it belongs).

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  ISN on Wed May 11, 2011 4:01 am

pinhedz wrote:I have two litmus tests for stupidity:

-- People who believe creationism (or intelligent design, whatever they're calling bible studies this year) should be taught in science class;

-- People that were trying to prove Obama was not a natural born US citizen, and couldn't be bothered to check the definition in the Immigration and Naturalization Acts of the 1790s.

Either of those is proof positive of mush for brains (mind you, I was taught the bible in school--in religion class, where it belongs).

well, that's not much fun, is it

I generally take a deeper and broader perspective on my fellow man's level of intelligence

I don't have some kind of check-list of two or three items that automatically debar them from the limited ranks of the brainy

if I did - I think that would be kind of dumb.......

if they are eloquent and know how to string a few meaningful words together in some kind of coherent sequence

I will generally go on to listen to what else they have to say.......

at that point they have earned 'intelligence credits' with me........according to my wanton whims

at some point in the conversation they reveal their (hitherto unnoticed) stupidity

I will revoke some of their credits

but I will give them a chance to regain favour

it's all very complicated and it's a particular kind of fun for me with my little tricks that I'm sure I'd bore anyone who showed the least bit of interest

suffice to say that it is pretty foolproof in more ways than one

ISN
Endlessly Fascinating

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed May 11, 2011 4:15 am

You're right, of course. But anyone that proposes teaching the bible in science class could only be smart if there's a heap of extenuating circumstances (like growing up in a Davidian compound or something).

And I don't see how anyone serving in the US Congress could redeem his-or her-self after having publicly voiced the birther position.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  ISN on Wed May 11, 2011 4:21 am

well, according to you it's three hits and you're out..........(or in your case - two)

you make a compelling argument.....hehehe

but as they say there's a lot more to it than that........

it's just so stupid to have a little list of errors or failings that stupid people have

to come to some conclusion about the rest of them or us

just for a start, I think many Nazis had refined tastes and were incredibly intelligent

they wouldn't even be considered in some kind of dumb survey of this or that

I guess what I'm trying to say is that was a stupid check list to judge people's intelligence

ISN
Endlessly Fascinating

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed May 11, 2011 8:06 am

Catherine wrote:I guess what I'm trying to say is that was a stupid check list to judge people's intelligence
You're right again of course.
But is it any stupider than posting this poll in the first place?

From the comments posted here, I think it's obvious that the Americans are getting all the votes mostly because an American posted the poll.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Mack on Wed May 11, 2011 4:58 pm

But really folks Americans can't be to dumb since they made sure they were born in the United States or got there any way the could !

Old Mack

Back to top Go down

Post  felix on Wed May 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Old Mack wrote:But really folks Americans can't be to dumb since they made sure they were born in the United States or got there any way the could !

More important than that, Mack - your avatar disturbs me:

It looks like a half brother of John Lennon and Ray Davis trying to be Roy Orbison pretending to be Bob Dylan. And that is well affraid

felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:24 am

Update--based on recent data, has anything changed? study

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:43 pm