Brahms

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brahms

Post  pinhedz on Sun May 08, 2011 6:23 am

Hosni

He was his own worst critic.

pinhedz

I think he considered himself an overachiever. He said something like "inspiration is 90% perspiration" (if he didn't say that, he said something equivalent). He also said that he could only squeeze out in drops what Mozart delivered as a gushing fountain.

By working hard all the time, he succeeded in delivering the goods on his good days. Elbow grease pays off. One way to hit homes runs is to swing at everything.

Hosni

What do you think is the most stupendous Brahmsian opus?

pinhedz

Sonata for violin and piano #1, op. 78

Hosni

Symphonie No. 2 en re majeur is often described as "sunny." But make no mistake, there are clouds in this sky.

pinhedz

Dr. Karl Hahn (or something like that) said the main theme has to leave home and experience exciting adventures--perhaps even suffer trials and tribulations--until the tension is resolved and the recapitulation and coda play themselves out (which is to say, figuratively speaking, the fat lady sings).

What the label maker wants to know is--can jazz do the same thing in a 32-bar format?

Hosni

Yes.

Hosni

What is your fave piece where the theme is having a lovely day, then goes out for a stroll, only to be torn apart by giant cockroaches, thus never making it home

pinhedz

Exile Muffley wrote:What is your fave piece where the theme is having a lovely day, then goes out for a stroll, only to be torn apart by giant cockroaches, thus never making it home
Grosse Fuge by Beethoven.

But in the last movement of Tchaikowsky's 6th, the main theme dies of typhus.

pinhedz

pinhedz wrote:Dr. Karl Hahn (or something like that) said ...
Now I remember, it was Dr. Karl Haas.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Brahms

Post  pinhedz on Sun May 08, 2011 6:28 am

Hosni

In the context of discussing why he didn't do much until his 40s, Brahms said "You have no idea what it's like to hear the footsteps of a giant like that [Beethoven] behind you." Of course, this wasn't the real reason. Johannes was so adept at self-criticism, he became a master of deflecting criticism from others.

pinhedz

He wrote a lot of music before he was 40, what he didn't dare write was a symphony. There were some compositions that he started as symphonies, but then chickened out and changed them to something else.

When he finally managed to write a symphony, one critic called it "Beethoven's 10th."

Some composers who wrote symphonies were afraid to write more than 9, because that would be more than Beethoven. They were afraid that if they started a 10th symphony, God might strike them dead before they finished--as has happened to some composers who dared attempt a #10.

Mahler and Shostakovich both made it through their #10 alive, but you can bet they were shaking in their boots.

Hosni

pinhedz wrote:He wrote a lot of music before he was 40,
Is that music? I thought it was toilet paper. My bad. It's all good.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun May 08, 2011 6:32 am

pinhedz

Did anybody see that movie with Cary Grant conducting Brahms?

I don't think it was very famous.

pinhedz

The movie was called "People Will Talk," in which Cary Grant conducts Brahm's "Academic Festival Overture," in which Brahms orchestrates everyone's favorite college songs:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:12 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top