Dreadful movies based on immortal classics

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dreadful movies based on immortal classics

Post  pinhedz on Sun May 08, 2011 4:06 am

pinhedz
Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:25 pm

In the book, Moll Flanders as a little girl wants to be a "gentlewoman." She believes a gentlewoman is someone who earns her own way in the world by useful work (wrong).

Her dreams are crushed, because she is taught that a woman has nothing of value but her "virtue," and if she loses that, she is becomes worthless.

She considers herself worthless for most of the book, and only recovers some sense of self-worth when she transplants to the new world and becomes a frontierswoman.

But in the film, Moll Flanders has a sense of self-worth that just won't quit. She struts around with her nose in the air, puttin' on airs like she's some kind of great lady, and she looks down on everyone that's not her, even though the only thing she's got going for her is that she's a hottie.

Cook Pass Babtridge

I'm already messing this up as 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' is certainly not a classic, nonetheless, that movie was a bloody disgrace!

pinhedz

Another real stinker. According to this one, Puritans back in Merry old England had a jolly old time dancing around the may pole and frollicking in the hay, but they became all stuffy and repressed when they moved to America. And Hester Prin rebelled against it (wrong).

Sample of dreadful script writing:

"I know I have sinned in your eyes, but I know not if God shares your views."

In the end, the parson doesn't die, he rides into town on a mortorcycle (was that a horse? it seemed like a motorcycle) and scooped up Hester and off they rode in the direction of Los Angeles.

The producers said this is the book Nathanial Howethorne would have written if he hadn't been so repressed.

pinhedz

twood50785 wrote: I'm already messing this up as 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' is certainly not a classic, nonetheless, that movie was a bloody disgrace!
I'd like to see it, though; there aren't enough movies about mandolin players.

Cook Pass Babtridge

Even if the mandolin player happens to be Nic Cage?

I remember you mentioning 'War and Peace' with Henry Fonda. Dreadful movie?

Hosni

Pinedz is a snobbo. The Scarlet Letter was intensely sensual.

Cook Pass Babtridge

Laughing

pinhedz

Intensely Sensual?

He does seem to have a certain glint in his eye, doesn't he?
(some of ancestors were witch hunters).

pinhedz

twood50785 wrote:I remember you mentioning 'War and Peace' with Henry Fonda. Dreadful movie?
I would say not dreadful. Dreadful would have been if Prince Andrey and Natasha ...

...wait a minute--you're only half way through and you don't know what's not going to happen yet. Anyway, if Hollywood decided that what didn't happen in the book had to happen in the movie, that would have been dreadful.

My biggest objections to the movie were (1) all the stuff that had to be left out in order to condense the story into 2 hours, and (2) Pierre is supposed to be a big hefty guy.

The movie's greatest asset was Audrey Hepburn, not because I say so, but because the Russians say so. The Russians have never been able to accept any other actress as Natasha, because they consider that role belongs to Hepburn (even though they can't pronounce her name).

pinhedz

"Khyep-a-boorn"

pinhedz

Smooove Criminal wrote:Pinedz is a snobbo.

I consider that to be part of my job.

pinhedz

In "Heart Of Darkness," this conversation occurs in London at the end of the book:

-- What were his last words?
-- His last words were ... your name.
-- I knew it. I was sure of it.

In "Apocalypse Now," that conversation is moved from London to the middle of the jungle.
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The native wife never would have made the mistake the London wife made.

[not sayin' the whole movie was dreadful tho.]

Cook Pass Babtridge

Did you see that Putin has a new Judo video out?

Sorry, wrong thread I know, but what the hell...

pinhedz

Sounds like a winner. Is it dreadful?

Putin should be in movies--no question about that.

Last edited by pinhedz on Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Dreadful movies based on immortal classics

Post  pinhedz on Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Cook Pass Babtridge

Did you see that Putin has a new Judo video out?

Sorry, wrong thread I know, but what the hell...

pinhedz

Sounds like a winner. Is it dreadful?

Putin should be in movies--no question about that.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum