Canned Heat

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Canned Heat

Post  pinhedz on Mon May 02, 2011 7:14 pm

Cook Pass Babtridge

I only know one of their songs:



I think it's great. How good a band are they?

Cook Pass Babtridge

I might as well fess up... I only know the song because I heard it on an advert. There I said it. Embarassed


Stan54

"Future Blues" is the album with Harvey Mandel on guitar. Harvey is up there with Hendrix and Bloomfield in my own triumvirate* of 60s blues-based innovative electric lead guitar players. A monster.

* Kinda like a "trilogy" (hi Jerry!)


pinhedz

They had a very good reputation in the late 1960s, but somehow I never got any of the their records. Their big hit was "On The Road Again," which I heard on the radio, and it was very good.

The leader, Alan Wilson, recorded one tune with John Fahey--"Sail Away Ladies." On it, Wilson plays an Indian instrument called, if I remember right, the veena (The credits say the veena is played by "Owl Wilson").

I saw Fahey at a coffee house in early 1971, and he said that Al Wilson had killed himself. Fahey said: "Wherever he played, the people just kept yelling 'On The Road Again! On The Road Again!' so he killed himself."

Do you know the song "Canned Heat?" It's about drinking Sterno (note that the label failed to say "Do Not Take Internally").





Canned Heat Blues
by Tommy "Snake" Johnson
December 1929, Crafton, Wisconsin

Crying, canned heat, canned heat, mama, crying, sure, Lord, killing me
Crying, canned heat, mama, sure, Lord, killing me
Takes alcorub to take these canned heat blues

Crying, mama, mama, mama, you know, canned heat killing me
Crying, mama, mama, mama, crying, canned heat is killing me
Canned heat don't kill me, crying, babe, I'll never die

I woked up, up this morning, with canned heat on my mind
Woked up this morning, canned heat was on my mind
Woke up this morning, with canned heat, Lord, on my mind

Crying, Lord, Lord, I wonder, canned heat, Lord, killing me
Jake alcohol's [ruined me, churning] 'bout my soul
Because brownskin women don't do the easy roll

I woke up, up this morning, crying, canned heat 'round my bed
Run here, somebody, take these canned heat blues
Run here, somebody, and take these canned heat blues

Crying, mama, mama, mama, crying, canned heat killing me
B'lieve to my soul, Lord, it gonna kill me dead


Stan54

The main guy in Canned Heat was Bob "The Bear" Hite.



Hite amassed an ENORMOUS collection of records, a large % of 78s, supposedly in the range pf 300,000 titles.

Thiugh it isn't the LP I'd recommend to someone who hasn't heard them, I'm a fan of the double LP "Livin the Blues." One of the great LSD meets the Blues LPs ever.



Side 1
"Pony Blues" (Charley Patton) – 3:48
"My Mistake" (Alan Wilson) – 3:22
"Sandy's Blues" (Bob Hite) – 6:46 Canned Heat, Joe Sample

Side 2
"Going Up The Country" (Wilson) – 2:50
"Walking by Myself" (Jimmy Rogers) – 2:29
"Boogie Music" (L.T. Tatman III) – 3:19
"One Kind Favor" (Tatman) – 4:43

Side 3
"Parthenogenesis" (Medley) (Canned Heat) – 19:57
"Nebulosity"
"Rollin' and Tumblin"
"Five Owls"
"Bear Wires"
"Snooky Flowers"
"Sunflower Power"
"Raga Kafi"
"Icebag"
"Childhood's End"

Side 4
"Refried Boogie" (Canned Heat) – 20:51

Two years later (1972) they made their "Future Blues" LP with Harvey Mandel on guitar. It's probably the best album.




Cook Pass Babtridge

pinhedz wrote:I saw Fahey at a coffee house in early 1971, and he said that Al Wilson had killed himself. Fahey said: "Wherever he played, the people just kept yelling 'On The Road Again! On The Road Again!' so he killed himself."
lol! - I'm sorry, it's not a laughing matter... but I did genuinally 'laugh out loud'.


Cook Pass Babtridge

Stan54 wrote:"Future Blues" is the album with Harvey Mandel on guitar. Harvey is up there with Hendrix and Bloomfield in my own triumvirate* of 60s blues-based innovative electric lead guitar players. A monster.

* Kinda like a "trilogy" (hi Jerry!)
So is that the album a newbie should be getting?


Mickey Ruskin

I prefer Can minus Heat/ No limit


Arthur Askey

Mickey Ruskin wrote:I prefer Can minus Heat/ No limit
Question Nope. Haven't a clue what you mean. Neutral


Mickey Ruskin

I should stop talking so much trash on the uternet.
Can ( minus the heat)


Hosni

I'm really very green.


Hosni

I probably should mention that father cannot yell due to lack of Vitamin C.


Mickey Ruskin

"Future Days" was the bluest album I've ever heard.


John McLaughlin

I don't know them from albums, only from individual songs on that great FM radio of the Sixties and Seventies - "Going up the Country" was one of my favorites, I think from Ed Sciaky's show on WMMR in Philly.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Posts : 11694
Join date : 2011-04-11
Location : DC

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Canned Heat

Post  pinhedz on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:29 am

pinhedz wrote:Canned Heat Blues
by Tommy "Snake" Johnson
December 1929, Crafton, Wisconsin

Crying, canned heat, canned heat, mama, crying, sure, Lord, killing me
Crying, canned heat, mama, sure, Lord, killing me
Takes alcorub to take these canned heat blues

Crying, mama, mama, mama, you know, canned heat killing me
Crying, mama, mama, mama, crying, canned heat is killing me
Canned heat don't kill me, crying, babe, I'll never die

I woked up, up this morning, with canned heat on my mind
Woked up this morning, canned heat was on my mind
Woke up this morning, with canned heat, Lord, on my mind

Crying, Lord, Lord, I wonder, canned heat, Lord, killing me
Jake alcohol's [ruined me, churning] 'bout my soul
Because brownskin women don't do the easy roll

I woke up, up this morning, crying, canned heat 'round my bed
Run here, somebody, take these canned heat blues
Run here, somebody, and take these canned heat blues

Crying, mama, mama, mama, crying, canned heat killing me
B'lieve to my soul, Lord, it gonna kill me dead


pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Posts : 11694
Join date : 2011-04-11
Location : DC

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Canned Heat

Post  felix on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:46 am

Not to be confuzzled with Canned Heat's Al 'Blind Owl' Wislon, here's Al Wilson with John Fogerty's "Lodi",



No apology for posting - it's a great record. cat

felix
cool cat - mrkgnao!

Posts : 831
Join date : 2011-04-11
Location : see the chicken?

Back to top Go down

Re: Canned Heat

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:34 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum