Bin Laden is dead

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Bin Laden is dead

Post  Doc Watson on Tue May 03, 2011 10:56 am

[quote="precinct14"][quote="Doc Watson"]
Captain Hi-Top wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:
Have you never made a mistake ? Let him or her who is without sin amomg us cast the first stone.

Oo-er! Laughing

Perhaps we should launch a thread in your honour, Doctor Emu, entitled 'Gullible's Travails'. What do you think?
]It is not my fault I trust and believe what people tell me. I would rather belive some one and get it wrong , rather that doubt some one and get it wrong.

Doc Watson
Titanium Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Blondie on Wed May 04, 2011 2:54 am

ANDY wrote: How killing a Yemenite in Pakistan figures into that equation isn't exactly that clear to me.
Bin Laden was actually a Saudi Arabian, but that's splitting hairs at this point

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/binladen/etc/cron.html

Blondie

Back to top Go down

Post  ISN on Wed May 04, 2011 3:15 am

the king is dead......long live the king

maybe he'll rise like Christ to lead legions and hordes of marauders to kick our collective sorry ass......

but he probably won't......

he ain't no Genghis Khan or Alexander........

I guess he had some kind of point......some kind of MO......some kind of reason for what he did.........some bloody intention and will

but, yes, we are untouchable........impervious to threats and threats of threats........

who cares about Bin Laden.....

I'm pretty sure it's all a load of crap..........

some trumped up danger.......all handily embodied in one man

a chance for America to go all voodoo dancing on his ass

some quick-thinking propaganda........

"the evil that men do lives after them......"

some fake tomfoolery......(and I'm not really that cynical)

Last edited by Catherine on Wed May 04, 2011 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total

ISN
Endlessly Fascinating

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell on Wed May 04, 2011 3:16 am

ANDY wrote:But even a part from that question: do you really believe that if a muslim-extrimist blew a bullet through Barack Obama's or George Bush's head, he wouldn't be prosecuted for murder? Or that his defence could plea not-guilty for murder because he's client merely killed an enemeny in a war-situation?

Are you really this stupid or are you just pretending?

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell on Wed May 04, 2011 3:18 am

Doc Watson wrote:It is not my fault I trust and believe what people tell me. I would rather belive some one and get it wrong , rather that doubt some one and get it wrong.

So you'd rather be a gullible fool than have healthy skepticism? No wonder you're a Christian.

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed May 04, 2011 4:39 am

When Saint Thomas Aquinas was a young university student, some of his fellow students decided to find out just how gullible he was, so they told him there was a bull flying outside the window.

Thomas immediately went over to the window to see the flying bull, and the other students started laughing and calling him gullible.

Thomas, of course, said "I would rather believe there was a bull flying outside the window than believe that you would lie to me."

I think it's clear that Doc Watson is well read and wants to be like Saint Thomas Aquinas.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell on Wed May 04, 2011 4:45 am

But the thing is, nobody lied to the Doctor, he is just completely oblivious to humor or something.

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  sil on Wed May 04, 2011 4:47 am

Captain Hi-Top wrote:
ANDY wrote:But even a part from that question: do you really believe that if a muslim-extrimist blew a bullet through Barack Obama's or George Bush's head, he wouldn't be prosecuted for murder? Or that his defence could plea not-guilty for murder because he's client merely killed an enemeny in a war-situation?

He's just following your reasoning...

sil

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed May 04, 2011 4:53 am

guacamayo wrote:
Captain Hi-Top wrote:

He's just following your reasoning...
Andy--I believe the instructions on Bin Laden have always been to take him dead or alive, the same as any capital criminal in the United States. Like many US capital criminals, Bin Laden was killed in a shootout.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell on Wed May 04, 2011 4:57 am

pinhedz wrote:Andy--I believe the instructions on Bin Laden have always been to take him dead or alive, the same as any capital criminal in the United States. Like many US capital criminals, Bin Laden was killed in a shootout.

Exactly. Is it "murder" if a cop kills a bank robber in a firefight? No...it's killing a bank robber in a firefight. Is it "murder" when a soldier kills an enemy in a firefight? No...it's killing an enemy in a firefight.

Murder is a crime defined by law...

Salamity Jane wrote:Yeah, but the legality of doing that in a foreign country is not really all that simple a business, is it?

and the legality is completely different than the morality.

Last edited by Captain Hi-Top on Wed May 04, 2011 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed May 04, 2011 4:57 am

A bounty hunter who delivered Bin Laden's corpse would never have been charged with murder:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed May 04, 2011 5:04 am

Salamity Jane wrote:Yeah, but the legality of doing that in a foreign country is not really all that simple a business, is it?
The notion of "international law" looks more and more silly the closer you examine it. International court proceedings have only as much standing as the parties involved agree for them to have, and, most important, the only real enforcement mechanism--in the event of real disagreement--is war.

So, the party that should comment on the "legality" of the US conducting such an operation in Pakistan is the Pakistani gub'mint.

What have they had to say so far? Do you think they'll sue?

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed May 04, 2011 5:14 am

The oldest parliament in the world is Iceland's (the þing).

The ancient sagas describe the early meetings of the þing, which where conducted outside to allow space for massed movements and swinging swords.

The party that brought the most armed men to the meetings always won.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed May 04, 2011 5:17 am

Salamity Jane wrote:Yeah, you're right. I was really just raising a question. I don't have a clear opinion on this. But I guess you're right that the Pakistani government are the ones to be asked. What HAVE they said so far? Has there been any kind of statement?
Musharraf has been talking a great deal. He wants it clearly understood that the Pakistani military and intelligence service were not harboring or protecting Bin Laden, and that had they known where he was, they would have gone after him.

No comment on the SEALs trespassing on Pakistani territory.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed May 04, 2011 5:25 am

What happened is very similar to what happened to Mir Aimal Kasi. He had shot 4 people outside of CIA Headquarters in 1993, and was captured by US commandos in Pakistan in 1997.

The only difference is that Kasi was taken alive--and executed later.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  precinct14 on Wed May 04, 2011 5:48 am

So, how are the Republicans coping with the reality that he was clinically and swiftly taken out- without the loss of a single US life- under the watch of a decisive, committed Democrat President? America is celebrating the death of the número uno totemic baddie that Bush gave up on chasing, and described as "a person who has now been marginalised", during his two terms. Embarrassing. Wonder what carping criticisms Limbaugh and his Far Right pals are dredging up? Carnap'll know.

precinct14
Coming up empty from the piggy bank?

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed May 04, 2011 6:03 am

The Republican's are trying to restrain themselves from gloating, now that it's been disclosed that the critical leads that put us on Bin Laden's trail several years ago were the result of water boarding.

oops, that was unseemly ...

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed May 04, 2011 6:09 am

Condi was asked if water boarding has been vindicated, and she sort of dodged the question, just saying that both the Bush and Obama administrations have done themselves proud (she's kind of sweet on Obama I love you ).

Rumsfield was asked the same question, and he just said only 3 people were water boarded, and not for long, because it didn't take long to get them talking.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Blondie on Wed May 04, 2011 6:27 am

pinhedz wrote:The Republican's are trying to restrain themselves from gloating, now that it's been disclosed that the critical leads that put us on Bin Laden's trail several years ago were the result of water boarding.

That's right

And let's be clear that Obama didn't capture Osama himself. US intelligence forces did the dirty work. They told the president they were sure where Bin Laden was hiding and Obama told them to go ahead with their mission. I'm quite sure the prez wasn't pouring over maps, viewing years worth of surveilance footage, going undercover to conduct information gathering missions and putting himself in harms way to find the bad guy.

Blondie

Back to top Go down

Post  Blondie on Wed May 04, 2011 6:37 am

pinhedz wrote:So, the party that should comment on the "legality" of the US conducting such an operation in Pakistan is the Pakistani gub'mint.

Pakistan and Zardari better not say shit since they've accepted BILLIONS of dollars in foreign aid from the USA in the past couple of years.

Politics sure is messy, ain't it?

Blondie

Back to top Go down

Post  Blondie on Wed May 04, 2011 7:01 am

Andy is exactly right. Bin Laden's death in no way signifies the end of "The War On Terror" *cue thematic music* In fact, the remaining terrorist factions are scattered all over the globe and they will most likely retaliate in some way. Shooting terrorist leaders, who have master minded and oversaw the execution of numerous attacks on four continents, in the face is absolutely fine by me, though.

Blondie

Back to top Go down

Post  Dick Fitzwell on Wed May 04, 2011 7:13 am

ANDY wrote:So it wouldn't be murder if a Jihadist shot an American president or ex-presiden through the head, according to your own standards.

If Obama was an international fugitive wanted for the most heinous crimes of our generation, and he was in a locked down compound, armed and ready to fight to the death, then no, it wouldn't be.

This questiosn I ask are obviously pure intellectual exercises

Well I can't blame you for that. Your intellect definitely needs some exercise, it's terribly out of shape.

Dick Fitzwell

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed May 04, 2011 7:25 am

ANDY wrote:This might be an interesting article to read for people who think some concerns are pure hypothetical:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/wikileaks/8472810/Wikileaks-Al-Qaeda-plotted-chemical-and-nuclear-attack-on-the-West.html

And just if you shouldn't notice all by yourself: look at the date it was published.

Doesn't that article just demonstrate that before you can "connect the dots" you have to figure out which dots are legit and which are just nutty?

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Blondie on Wed May 04, 2011 7:27 am

Captain Hi-Top re: ANDY wrote:Well I can't blame you for that. Your intellect definitely needs some exercise, it's terribly out of shape.

If you had a shred of anyone's respect here, you just mulched it with that comment. ANDY is nothing if not intellectual.

Blondie

Back to top Go down

Post  Blondie on Wed May 04, 2011 7:29 am

ANDY wrote:I also wonder if keeping bin Laden's death secret wouldn't have been more efficient?
Certainly not for Obama's re-election campaign

Blondie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:39 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top