Wasn't it terrible the way Bob treated Joan Baez?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wasn't it terrible the way Bob treated Joan Baez?

Post  pinhedz on Sun May 01, 2011 4:25 am

Eddie
Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:20 pm

The second in an occasional series of topics without which no self-respecting Bob Dylan discussion section would be complete.

Please append comments along the following lines:

1. They were both adults and they knew what they were doing.

2. As an artist, Bob had outgrown the issue-specific, "finger-pointing", politically-aligned material to which Baez was committed.

3. He couldn't stand her ear-splitting vibrato.

....and anything else that might occur to you.

powerpete

He USED her. He SLEPT with her even though he HATED her EAR-SPLITTING vibrato. The APEX of cynical DEPRAVITY in the arts!!!!

She was PURE at HEART. She BELIEVED in his COMMITMENT to the CAUSE!!! But he ONLY USED her!!!

I FEEL for her!!! Even though I can't STAND her EAR-SPLITTING VIBRATO!!!!

(Like this, Eddie?)

Eddie

Yes, that's pretty much the kind of thing this section needs to pep it up a little.

Arthur Askey

Who's Bob Dylan?

Alternative post:

Who's Joan Baez?

Alternative alternative post:

Who are you talkin' about?

(Any good, no?)

TinyMontgomery

I'd agree with 1).

Her vibrato wasn't so bad on her debut record.

John McLaughlin

Her vibrato was always bad, but he overlooked it for what he could get out of the relationship, apart of course from getting laid, which should never be overlooked as a motivation for a guy. He used her, but she used him too - a pair of users there - she could tell he was gonna be a somebody, real soon, and she could hang on to his coat-tails for a while, as he used hers. But she's outgrown the old fart by now, so what the hell. She's gotten gorgeous in her middle age; he hasn't, the craggy-faced old bastert.

Hosni

Joan Baez....Joan Baez......that name seems so familiar..........oh is that the horse festooned in turquoise jewelry appearing in the Dylan docu? Did Dylan ride this horse in that cowboy movie?

pswets

Joan Baez....Joan Baez......that name seems so familiar..........oh is that the horse festooned in turquoise jewelry appearing in the Dylan docu? Did Dylan ride this horse in that cowboy movie?
No, that was Clint Eastwood riding her in the classic western "Unforgiven." You can see the mare well at about 1:10, and before if you've quick eyes.

Eddie

In her autobiography, Joan dubs him "The Dada King", which I take as a reference to both his artistic choices and his conduct in personal relationships.

precinct14

I thought it was just about right. She had it coming. I'm amazed they allowed her on the plane to London. And anyway, I generally prefer to see the guy come out on top. You have to go with the underdog.

John McLaughlin

The one with the best-looking sixties wins every time. No contest here.

One day Joan was being a bitch to me and I ask Bob "Why do you even hang around with her anymore? and I added is it the SEX and he said not so much anymore....So I said well what iis it? and she was really acting up and calling me everybad name in the book because Bob was talking with me and not her.... He said She is jUst a really good Guitar Player.......and I just looked at him and said God there has there has to be others out there that can do better.....I guess he felt sorry for her in a way but yet hated her at the same time...That Dylan Duality....shining right thru.....

John McLaughlin

That's the most compassionate sidelight into Dylan I've read in a long time. Maybe he's capable of loyalty to old friends sometimes, huh?

Nah Ville Sky Chick

4. He had met his future wife.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Wasn't it terrible the way Bob treated Joan Baez?

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun May 01, 2011 6:58 am

Over the times, I have come to appreciate Joan "That Strawberry Roan" Baez. She lives in the hills not far from Gran, with her horses and geese etc., and sometimes you see her at Valero Petrol Waystation, and she is a pretty cool customer I guess. I don't terribly care what a person's cockamamie philosophies are, so long as the person live said philos with integ-rity and lacks the turdblossom flimflam phoan-i-ness that marks those such as Joani Mitchell, from Canada. J. B., on the other fist, knows that money talks, bullshit walks, and a Baez is too legit to quit.

She doesn't hold any grudges against "Bobby," she discusses "Bobby" and that whole scene back when in a straightforward and mostly reel manner. Sure, she has a sizable ego. But one needs one of those if one wants to capture the city of Saigon or lay siege to the Ku Klux Klan, armed only with a weaponized spring-clamp guitar capo. J.B. wanted to 'storm the Bastille,' ... Bobbers wanted to chillax and write non sequitur song-poems and count money. Hey, it's all good, and we're all Children of God, getting it done with a skillet and a gun. Oh shoot, the third part of the day just ended.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  precinct14 on Fri May 20, 2011 10:06 pm

Was Joanie aware of Suze? Did the relationships cross over each other? Was Joanie one of the reasons Suze split with Bob? If Joanie started sleeping with Bob, when she knew he was in a relationship with Suze, then she can have no complaints if her two-timed and dumped her for Sara. No doubt Hinton Claylegs will have all the answers.

precinct14
Coming up empty from the piggy bank?

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Watson on Sat May 21, 2011 11:11 am

Have you read her autobiography ?

Doc Watson
Titanium Member

Back to top Go down

Post  precinct14 on Sat May 21, 2011 7:28 pm

Doc Watson wrote:Have you read her autobiography ?

Neither (you didn't specify whose).

precinct14
Coming up empty from the piggy bank?

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc Watson on Sun May 22, 2011 12:34 pm

precinct14 wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:Have you read her autobiography ?

Neither (you didn't specify whose).
Indeed you are correct I meant Joan's

Doc Watson
Titanium Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:08 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top