Do you believe in magic?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Do you believe in magic?

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:00 am

I keep seeing those connections and I think I can try to explain what I mean now.

I was staring through the window in the afternoon and through that moment I acceded another place and time (the moment belonged to another moment and vice versa)... and I knew I know that place and time but I can't tell from where or when.

The following is not an example of connection, I'm just going to use it to show the behaviour of connections.
Not very long ago I had an hallucination (I don't have hallucinations but I had it). I was in my room and when I looked at the wall where there's a table next to it, the table was not there and instead there was a door, a metallic old "medieval" door. I had never seen that door before but I knew beyond the door there was a prison, and I knew what the corridor and stairs looked like although I could not see them through the door, as if I had walked there before... but I hadn't. I wasn't lost. I didn't even had to ask why I was there, as if I knew it... but I couldn't tell why.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:16 am

It's like having memories from something you've never met.

You can think the experience is blurred. But it's not. There's no difference with the usual reality, it is vivid... even more than the usual reality.

Back to top Go down

Post  eddie on Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:32 am

^ You might like to check out the review of the Rupert Sheldrake book in this section. Not sure whether it's entirely apposite, but it's food for thought.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:40 am

In 1882, in Paw Paw, Michigan, a remarkable human enigma was brought to the attention of Dr L. C. Woodman. The 24 year-old man, named A.W. Underwood, had to take great care whenever he breathed, apparently to avoid causing fires. At first the doctor thought the stories were mere exaggerations, but one day there was a knock on his door, and in walked A.W. Underwood himself, looking for help.

Dr. Woodman was persuaded to make tests in the presence of himself and some of his colleagues, and to their amazement Underwood performed incredible feats which they could not explain. Doctor Woodman told the Michigan Medical News (n.17; September 11, 1882):

'He will take anybody's handkerchief and hold it to his mouth rub it vigorously with his hands while breathing on it and immediately it bursts into flames and burns until consumed. He will strip and rinse out his mouth thoroughly, wash his hands and submit to the most rigid examination to preclude the possibility of any humbug, and then by his breath blown upon any paper or cloth envelop it in flame. He will, while out gunning and without matches desirous of a fire lie down after collecting dry leaves and by breathing on them start the fire...'

Dr. Woodman stated publicly that he was sure that Underwood's phenomena were authentic.

The doctor also noticed that Underwood would hold the cloth or other material against his mouth so that he could force his breath through it, thus condensing whatever strange process it was. The doctors washed Underwood's mouth out with various mixtures, and obliged him to wear surgeon's rubber gloves - but it made no difference - the phenomenon carried on as normal.

This is an exceptional case, especially as the subject allowed himself to be tested and investigated for months, and, although the report was published in the Michigan Medical News and other similar journals, no one ever came forward with an explanation for Underwood's bizarre fire-breathing talents.

A similar case was reported In 1927, when Vice President of the U.S., Charles Dawes, personally investigated the case of a car mechanic in Memphis, Tennessee, who supposedly had the mysterious ability to set inflammable material alight merely by breathing on it. The man took General Dawes' handkerchief, breathed on it, and it caught fire. Dawes and his colleagues decided that it was no trick, and since no reasonable explanation could be found, it was left unexplained.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  sil on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:11 am

carabirurí
carabirurá

Last edited by silviando on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total

sil

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:05 pm

I don't believe in magic, but I have to believe in witches, because they're in my family tree--proven ones. Suspect

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  sil on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:16 pm

aha... witches with no magic power... interesting Neutral
I guess in English it's not the same, that bruja (witch) can be used as an insult... old bag says the dictionary

sil

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:35 am

El Amor Brujo affraid

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:38 am

silviando wrote:aha... witches with no magic power... interesting Neutral
I guess in English it's not the same, that bruja (witch) can be used as an insult... old bag says the dictionary
The witches in my family were convicted of practicing black magic--so it was "proved" beyond reasonable doubt, and yet they had no magic to save themselves from the gallows--which casts doubt on their magical powers. scratch

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:43 am

I believe that I have posted this elsewhere, but it can't be recommended too highly:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:46 am

Less good is this book--in which one of the judges explains that witches have magic powers--even if you can't see them:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  sil on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:03 am

Haven't they found a vampires cemetery in Romania recently? Some skeletons had iron stakes and one had a brick(?) in her jaws (very good teeth the man on tv said). They said that their contemporaries believed that if they were so evil in life, when they die they would become vampires

sil

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:19 am

Evidently their contemporaries believed in vampires--but it is also evident that those vampires did not have the power to save themselves. Suspect

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  sil on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:25 am

no but apparently they were only evil humans... their vampire status would only be acquired after life, in death... unless you prevent it putting iron stakes in them. That's how I understood it

sil

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:40 am

I guess there is no way to prove that the stakes did not prevent them from becoming vampires, but there is also no way to prove that the stakes did prevent them from becoming vampires.

btw--I recently saw a most excellent film called "Abraham Lincoln--Vampire Hunter," in which none of the actions contradict known historical events. Very Happy

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  sil on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:12 am

pinhedz wrote:I guess there is no way to prove that the stakes did not prevent them from becoming vampires, but there is also no way to prove that the stakes did prevent them from becoming vampires.
whose side are you on? You talk like one of THEM Suspect

sil

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:27 am

silviando wrote:
pinhedz wrote:I guess there is no way to prove that the stakes did not prevent them from becoming vampires, but there is also no way to prove that the stakes did prevent them from becoming vampires.
whose side are you on? You talk like one of THEM Suspect
It's in my blood. These three women are my aunties (true What a Face ):

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:48 am

I just read that here are too sure signs that you are getting too involved in genealogy:

1.  You change your name to Maria Katarina instead of Mary Kate;

2.  You start compiling lists like this:
-- America's Forgotten Pandemic, The Influenza of 1918, Alfred Crosby
-- Virus X (Tracking New Killer Plagues), Frank Rayan, MD
-- Plagues and Peoples, William McNeill
-- Rats, Lice and History, Hans Zinsser
-- Yellow Fever, Black Goddess (CoEvolution of People and Plagues), Christopher Wills
-- Coming Plagues, Laurie Garrett
-- The Forgotten Plague, How the Battle Against TB was Won--and Lost, Frank Ryan, MD
-- Secret Life of Dust, Hannah Holmes
-- Scourge, the Once and Future Threat of Smallpox, Jonathan Tucker
-- Pox America: The Great Smallpox Epidemic of 1775-82, Elizabeth Fenn
affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid 

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  u on Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:53 pm

Last edited by Bot Walker on Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total

u

Back to top Go down

Post  glue moon on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:23 pm

pinhedz wrote:I just read that here are too sure signs that you are getting too involved in genealogy:
Question 

glue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:56 am

eise gesis wrote:
pinhedz wrote:I just read that here are too sure signs that you are getting too involved in genealogy:
Question 
It comes from getting hung up on castles and witches.

But is witchcraft a science?  Is genealogy? scratch

Is the pinhed related to Eddie and Felix? It would almost impossible not to be. silent 

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  u on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:07 am

Last edited by Bot Walker on Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total

u

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:25 am

Is that the one with Bette as Sarah Cloyse?

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:57 pm

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Aladdin on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:29 pm