Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  ISN on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:49 am

Ode To Ma Toes

Born free
As free as the wind blows
As free as my toes grows

another wunnerful peom by Cath

ISN
Endlessly Fascinating

Posts : 598
Join date : 2011-04-10
Location : hell

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  Doc Watson on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:20 pm

ISN wrote:Ode To Ma Toes

Born free
As free as the wind blows
As free as my toes grows

another wunnerful peom by Cath
]I will accept your world on that even if it is self praise.

Doc Watson
Titanium Member

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2011-04-11
Age : 66
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  eddie on Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:29 pm

This weekend we've had snow in London.

Quite reassuring in a way because it's been very odd to see daffodils and crocuses blooming in January.

Suspect

eddie
The Gap Minder

Posts : 7840
Join date : 2011-04-11
Age : 60
Location : Desert Island

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  pinhedz on Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:37 pm


pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Posts : 11535
Join date : 2011-04-11
Location : DC

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  Dick Fitzwell on Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:15 pm

sunny and warm here today

this was the best winter ever

Dick Fitzwell

Posts : 591
Join date : 2011-04-14
Age : 25
Location : Wayoutisphere

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  eddie on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:20 pm

There's general disbelief here that London's Heathrow airport cancelled 50% of scheduled weekend flights.

Of more immediate personal concern is that once more Tower Hamlets council has failed to grit the pavements (US trans: sidewalks), making a stroll to the shops a risk to life and limb.

Snow in February! Astonishing! Noone could possibly have foreseen that. Suspect


Last edited by eddie on Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total

eddie
The Gap Minder

Posts : 7840
Join date : 2011-04-11
Age : 60
Location : Desert Island

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  pinhedz on Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:14 am

Paladin wrote:this was the best winter ever
Past tense? Shocked

Virginians have a way of saying "No snow this year--how 'bout that?"

Then 30 inches drops. Razz

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Posts : 11535
Join date : 2011-04-11
Location : DC

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  pinhedz on Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:16 am

Virginia--February 2010:


pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Posts : 11535
Join date : 2011-04-11
Location : DC

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  Dick Fitzwell on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:06 am

pinhedz wrote:Past tense? Shocked

Well I don't know if it's spring yet, but it sure ain't winter

Dick Fitzwell

Posts : 591
Join date : 2011-04-14
Age : 25
Location : Wayoutisphere

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  pinhedz on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:47 am

Some of the worst blizzards I've seen happened in April.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Posts : 11535
Join date : 2011-04-11
Location : DC

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  Guest on Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:44 pm

eddie wrote: pavements (US trans: sidewalks)
Aus. trans: footpaths

Although it's flooding in the south of the state, it's been an unusually dry Wet Season here in North Queensland.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  Doc Watson on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:12 pm

currently I have growing strawberries, potatoes , tomatoes .sweet corn , rhubarb , capsicum, water mellon , pumpkin and marrow

Doc Watson
Titanium Member

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2011-04-11
Age : 66
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  Constance on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:51 pm

It will be 50 degrees F today. I have hope that spring will be here before too long. I'm still walking my dog about a mile and a half every day. I check the sunrise and the sunset every day in the paper. Today it rose at 7:20 and sets at 5:12. Much better so far than the dark days of December when it rose at 7:19 and set around 5:50

Constance

Posts : 500
Join date : 2011-04-11
Age : 59
Location : New York City

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  Constance on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:52 pm

Doc, what are capsium and marrow?

Constance

Posts : 500
Join date : 2011-04-11
Age : 59
Location : New York City

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  Dick Fitzwell on Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:08 am

blue moon wrote:
eddie wrote: pavements (US trans: sidewalks)
Aus. trans: footpaths

Although it's flooding in the south of the state, it's been an unusually dry Wet Season here in North Queensland.

lol, they call them pavements? They're sidewalks, they're MADE OUT OF pavement. brb calling cars "big metals" because thats what theyre made out of

silly limeys

Dick Fitzwell

Posts : 591
Join date : 2011-04-14
Age : 25
Location : Wayoutisphere

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  Doc Watson on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:42 am

Constance wrote:Doc, what are capsium and marrow?
Capsicum are I think members of the tomato family . They are sometimes called peppers , they can be yellow green or red, mine are green . Narrors are in the pumpkin family and they are similiar in appearance to large zucchini.

Doc Watson
Titanium Member

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2011-04-11
Age : 66
Location : Australia

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  pinhedz on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:07 pm

Paladin wrote:silly limeys
But they did come up with that clever idea of sucking limes. tongue

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Posts : 11535
Join date : 2011-04-11
Location : DC

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  Guest on Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:24 pm

Paladin wrote:
blue moon wrote:
eddie wrote: pavements (US trans: sidewalks)
Aus. trans: footpaths

Although it's flooding in the south of the state, it's been an unusually dry Wet Season here in North Queensland.

lol, they call them pavements? They're sidewalks, they're MADE OUT OF pavement. brb calling cars "big metals" because thats what theyre made out of

silly limeys

'sidewalk'...you walk on your sides? Shocked


'footpath'...we use them as paths for our feet! Very Happy


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  Dick Fitzwell on Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:28 pm

No, we don't walk on our sides...we walk on THE side...OF THE ROAD, where the sidewalks are

Dick Fitzwell

Posts : 591
Join date : 2011-04-14
Age : 25
Location : Wayoutisphere

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  Guest on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:42 pm

Paladin wrote:No, we don't walk on our sides...we walk on THE side...OF THE ROAD, where the sidewalks are
...ahh. Thanks for the clarification paladin.
...so is a sidewinder an old-fashioned watch?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  Dick Fitzwell on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:14 pm

blue moon wrote:
Paladin wrote:No, we don't walk on our sides...we walk on THE side...OF THE ROAD, where the sidewalks are
...ahh. Thanks for the clarification paladin.
...so is a sidewinder an old-fashioned watch?


Dick Fitzwell

Posts : 591
Join date : 2011-04-14
Age : 25
Location : Wayoutisphere

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  eddie on Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Constance wrote:I check the sunrise and the sunset every day in the paper. Today it rose at 7:20 and sets at 5:12. Much better so far than the dark days of December when it rose at 7:19 and set around 5:50

In London:

SUNRISE: 7.22AM
SUNSET: 5.06PM

At work it's been absolutely freezing, with temperatures in the Aldgate booking hall colder than the street outside: all that Art Deco tiling and stone floor slabs, with the void of a Tube tunnel rather than solid earth beneath one's feet. The station is open to the elements at front and rear, so the wind chill factor is impressive too.

I've been on the 'dead late' shift all week. I've never been so cold in my life.

If I wore any more layers of clothing it would be impossible to bend at the waist.

eddie
The Gap Minder

Posts : 7840
Join date : 2011-04-11
Age : 60
Location : Desert Island

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  Guest on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:04 am

Segovia
Sunrise: 7:14
Sunset: 17:43

similar to Constance's
Where do you live, Constance? (if you don't mind telling)

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  Guest on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:05 am

blue moon wrote:'sidewalk'...you walk on your sides? Shocked
Laughing alien

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  Constance on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:55 am

eddie wrote:
Constance wrote:I check the sunrise and the sunset every day in the paper. Today it rose at 7:20 and sets at 5:12. Much better so far than the dark days of December when it rose at 7:19 and set around 5:50

In London:

SUNRISE: 7.22AM
SUNSET: 5.06PM

At work it's been absolutely freezing, with temperatures in the Aldgate booking hall colder than the street outside: all that Art Deco tiling and stone floor slabs, with the void of a Tube tunnel rather than solid earth beneath one's feet. The station is open to the elements at front and rear, so the wind chill factor is impressive too.

I've been on the 'dead late' shift all week. I've never been so cold in my life.

If I wore any more layers of clothing it would be impossible to bend at the waist.

Ed I'm sorry it's so cold for you! I hope the warm weather comes soon!

I made a mistake with the sunrise in my post. I said the sun rose at 7:20 which is much better than the latest sunrise at 7:19. Makes no sense. No, the sun is rising at about 6:57-8 and rises a minute or two earlier each day. I can definitely notice the difference when I have to get the big girls up at 6:15. The sun is setting at about 5:20.

When we switch the clocks to daylight saving time I will be happy. It will still be light at 6:30 in the evening. This will make a big difference for me. I've been having trouble at night. Not that I can't drive, but people behind me have been blaring their horn and flashing their lights to try to make me go faster. On Fridays I have to drive Elisabeth home from her guzheng lesson at 5:30. We take a highway that was never meant for fast cars. It's called the Taconic State PARKway. The cars zoom past me at incredible speeds. I can't believe there aren't multi-vehicle accidents. The harassing drivers are really getting to me. I have as bad or worse a time when I drive Julia home from a class at 6 pm on Monday. The ride goes through dark windey country roads and there is always someone tailgating me. It's really scary!

Constance

Posts : 500
Join date : 2011-04-11
Age : 59
Location : New York City

Back to top Go down

Re: Spring in the air! Time to think about the garden.

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:00 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum