View previous topic View next topic Go down

My Hero: Kate Bush Guardian Profile

Post  pinhedz on Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:53 pm

Eddie
Head Librarian
Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:52 pm

My hero: Kate Bush by David Mitchell'

Saturday 1 January 2011

It's hard to think of a novelist, let alone another singer-songwriter, who takes on such diverse narrative viewpoints with Bush's aplomb

Photograph: David Redfern/Redferns

Kate Bush transforms me into a deranged fan. I don't know where to begin to explain it: there's her Brontëesque precocity (how does a 13-year-old compose "The Man With the Child In His Eyes"?); her voice, or rather voices (swan-necked soprano, bass-deadpan, banshee wail, pure as snowmelt); or her firsts (first British solo woman to write and sing a No 1 single, to top the album charts and to enter the album charts at No 1). Of her six mature albums released between 1980 and 2005, four are near-masterpieces while two (1985's Hounds of Love and 2005's Aerial) are masterpieces.

Her musical vocabulary is vast: trance, Renaissance, reggae, flamenco, orchestration, percussive, Irish jigs, Bulgarian vocal, sampling, Fairlight synth-driven, didgeridoos and blackbirds are just the beginning. Yet where one grand piano is all that is needed (the sublime "A Coral Room"), that's what you get. And her lyrics! Her songs read like scenes from short stories, or the stories themselves (odd ones). It's hard to think of a novelist, let alone another singer-songwriter, who takes on such diverse narrative viewpoints with Bush's aplomb: a foetus during nuclear war ("Breathing"), a weather-machine inventor's daughter ("Cloudbusting"), a suicide bomber ("Pull Out the Pin") or a dancer whose partner turns out to be Hitler ("Heads We're Dancing").

In "Pi", Kate Bush sings to 137 decimal places, rapturously, yet her singular lyrics are anchored by her southern English diction: she writes as unpretentiously as she speaks. Not that she's often heard speaking: Bush hasn't toured since 1979, and enters into the PR media circus only when a new recording is out. Literary, intimate, ground-breaking, comic, sinister, idiosyncratic, pavonine, pastoral and bonkers, Kate Bush is a great English artist (with Irish blood). If I harbour an occasional pang that I didn't turn out to be her man with the child in his eyes, well, I wouldn't want her to be any different.

Eddie
Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:11 pm

Just as I thought.

No response to this thread because Kate is not considered 'cool'.

That may change, in time.

pinhedz

I don't think that's it--if that was it, we'd be here saying "Hey, Kate's not cool!"

I posted about Kate on the Borat/Kazakh/Bulgarian thread.

Eddie

^
Thanks for the reminder, Pinz.

Wild and strange. Challenging stuff.

Kate is good mates with another UK left-field artist I occasionally mention here: Roy Harper.

Cook Pass Babtridge

pinhedz

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: My Hero: Kate Bush Guardian Profile

Post  pinhedz on Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:56 am

Kate Bush goes Russian:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  senorita on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:23 pm

What's the frequency Kenneth?

Last edited by senorita panties on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

senorita

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:21 pm

dude

Last edited by Ghost of Woo on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

woo

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:46 pm

blue moon

Back to top Go down

Post  senorita on Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:36 am

What's the frequency Kenneth?

Last edited by senorita panties on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

senorita

Back to top Go down

Post  blue moon on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:48 am

I'm wearing myself down.

But it's almost done.

blue moon

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top