Multivision program I have not seen yet

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Multivision program I have not seen yet

Post  pinhedz on Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:39 am

So, now they'e sayin' that the Carolina Chocolate Drop lady is going to be a recurring character on a TV series called "Nashville" (which the pinhed has never heard of geek ).

The leaked images suggest that the recurring character might be kind of cool:

But, since she now lives with an Irishman that has red hair and freckles and two curly-haired kids that go around singing "She is handsome, she is pretty, she's the belle of Belfast city ..." she doesn't get to Nashville very often.

But this is a great opportunity for stand-ins. Very Happy

Do you have what it takes to be a Rhiannon Giddens stand-in?
pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Multivision program I have not seen yet

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:59 am

In the first episode, the series focuses on the rivalry of Rayna Jaymes and Juliette Barnes. Rayna Jaymes is the established "Queen of Country" music. However, her latest album is not selling well and her tour is playing to half empty venues. Her record label suggests that she open for Juliette Barnes, the young and sexy best-selling singer of bubble-gum country-pop.

However, Juliette, seeing Rayna as privileged, purposefully alienates her. Rayna, who dislikes Juliette's style of music, rejects a joint tour out of hand. The two women come into conflict as each tries to get guitarist Deacon Claybourne, Rayna's bandmate and former lover, to sign on to their tour. Rayna's life is further complicated when her estranged father, millionaire businessman Lamar Wyatt, convinces her husband, Teddy Conrad, to run for Mayor of Nashville.
Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  woo on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:36 am

I hope this is as good as Stranger Things...
woo

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:13 am

I'm sure that you are looking forward to the return of Headless to the Ichabod show. What a Face

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:17 am

Unfortunately, the teenage spy is beginning to look like she's done with high school, so season 2 was probably the last. Neutral

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:39 am

Nashville talent scouts (or something) invite church lady to be country music star (or something):

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:52 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:59 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:03 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:20 am

Vincent D'Onofrio is back as The New Wizard of Oz

Last edited by Yakima Canutt on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:49 am

Follow this yellow brick road at your own peril.

This latest retelling of 'The Wizard of Oz' is weird, violent and oddly ambitious, but the NBC series may amount to less than the sum of its parts.

There are probably people in the world who don't like remakes, or the "reimagining" of classics. But are there really any people left in that camp when it comes to The Wizard of Oz, which has been a classic movie, a not very good modern movie, a play, a musical, a TV series and more? Friday night, L. Frank Baum's books return as, well, a kind of weirdly dystopian tale that seems like it wants to be on HBO but ends up on NBC — and that description makes it sound better than it really is.

Meaning, if someone wanted to make the bleakest Wizard of Oz ever — say a Cormac McCarthy version — where there is no happy ending and Dorothy just bleeds out somewhere in a Kansas alley as the credits roll, I would watch that. But NBC's Emerald City is going for something with more right angles than a musical but less heft and depth than an FX drama and runs into this odd middle ground where the silly merges with the violent, fumbling the tone on down the Yellow Brick Road (which here is made of opium).

Anyway, it's kind of a mess but your mileage may vary, especially since the first few hours are enough to keep you trying to figure out the mysterious direction Shaun Cassidy, David Shulner, Matthew Arnold and Josh Friedman — who developed the 10-hour series — are going in, led there by director Tarsem Singh (Mirror Mirror).

And at this point in the history of the Wizard of Oz, trying to figure out the latest reinterpretation is half the fun. This is a story that's been worked over pretty hard through the years. It seems the intent with this NBC version was to pluck Dorothy out of Kansas and plop her down in... Westeros? Yes, there's a half-baked Game of Thrones feel to Emerald City in parts, and then when you're adjusting to that there's a pinch of Willy Wonka that seems a bit out of place as well before it all shifts to corners where the writers seem to be in a battle to make it more off-kilter as they go: Let's have the Mistress of the Eastern Wood (Florence Kasumba) blow her brains out; the Wicked Witch of the West (Ana Ularu) be a brothel owner and addict; and Glinda of the North (Joely Richardson) appearing to think she's in Lord Of the Rings.

And then there's Dorothy (Adria Arjona), who seems to be in a network cop procedural. On the other hand there's a b-story about sexual identity which is kind of surprising and interesting and only slightly creepy.

Again, on some level Emerald City is just out there enough to keep you watching and maybe at this point in time and on network television there's a certain need to be a ragtag curiosity to keep people coming back each week (it premieres with two full episodes, which is a bit daring in itself these days).

It's hard to fault Emerald City for its ambition and creativity, but there's a surprising level of violence here that only barely gets undercut by moments of silliness (and it was hard to figure out early on if the Wizard, played by Vincent D'Onofrio, was supposed to be silly or sinister). Maybe the tonal shifts were necessary because so many fingers appear to be in this reimagined pie.

There are creative tweaks to all the familiar characters — some you'll see coming, some you'll be amused by, some you'll smile over and others you'll groan over — and if marching down the yellow poppy-pollen road of opium, through the Westeros hills and toward a 10-hour story that might pay off with some visual treats is the kind of TV journey you're up for, by all means head to Emerald City. If not, you've still got L. Frank Baum's books, Judy Garland's movie version and Wicked if you want, so your options are extensive.

Or you could just choose an unfamiliar story that's on TV — I hear there are hundreds of those out there.

Cast: Adria Arjona, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Ana Ularu, Vincent D'Onofrio, Joely Richardson, Jordan Loughran, Gerran Howell, Mido Hamada

Developed by: Matthew Arnold, Josh Friedman, David Schulner, Shaun Cassidy

Directed by: Tarsem Singh

Fridays, NBC, 9 p.m.

Email: Tim.Goodman@THR.com

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:52 am

Rita Moreno is playing a grandmother with grandkids that are still kids--which is to say she's playing someone way younger than her actual self.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:13 am

Rita Moreno was originally to have sung the lead in "I've Got a Feelin' You're Foolin'" with other showgirls, but this ended up as part of the "Beautiful Girl Montage" without her.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:16 am

http://stageagent.com/characters/2905/singin-in-the-rain/zelda-zanders
Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:19 am

I used to get her confused with Chita Rivera, who I saw on the black-and-white TV. I love you I love you I love you

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:53 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down