Last film I saw

Page 26 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Last film I saw

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue May 31, 2016 7:36 am

While the documentation shipped with the original Lisa only ever referred to it as The Lisa, officially, Apple stated the name was an acronym for Local Integrated System Architecture or "LISA". Since Steve Jobs' first daughter (born in 1978) was named Lisa Nicole Brennan, it was normally inferred that the name also had a personal association, and perhaps that the acronym was a backronym invented later to fit the name. Andy Hertzfeld states the acronym was reverse engineered from the name "Lisa" in autumn 1982 by the Apple marketing team, after they had hired a marketing consultancy firm to come up with names to replace "Lisa" and "Macintosh" (at the time considered by Jef Raskin to be merely internal project codenames) and then rejected all of the suggestions. Privately, Hertzfeld and the other software developers used "Lisa: Invented Stupid Acronym", a recursive backronym, while computer industry pundits coined the term "Let's Invent Some Acronym" to fit the Lisa's name. Decades later, Jobs would tell his biographer Walter Isaacson: "Obviously it was named for my daughter."

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:49 am

This one wasn't very good. A lot of jabber about how time is a thief--no time is a gift--but--you can't change the past--but--you can learn from it--and stuff. Rolling Eyes

I still like the Polish/Australian and her wardrobe, but she should look for better roles:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:27 pm

i watch Danish helmer Refn Wingding's THE DRIVER starring Rian Goseling, with special guest Albert Brooks as The Crime King

fairly violent, also some tits

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:39 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:44 pm

I just saw this one, which has been called "delightful" and "infectious."

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:57 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:23 pm

I saw the Star Trek movie, which was loud with lots of stuff flying around, but I'm not sure what happened. scratch

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that in real life everybody would have been dead.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:45 am

I saw the ghost girls--[SPOILER ALERT] they saved New York.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:47 pm

Cafe Society.

Life sucks, what else is new?

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:18 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:16 pm

The Anthropoid movie was made in the old-school manner, much like the Czech movie that was made in 1964.

Surprisingly, the movie was made twice in Hollywood in 1943. The first was a Fritz Lang/Bertold Brecht collar, so they turned the good guys into commies.

The movie was also made twice last year, the other one has Mia Wasilkova, otherwise known as Alice.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:13 am

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:58 am

This new movie is exactly like the new one--the only difference is the new one is in color and, instead of speaking Czech, the guys speak Irish:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:52 pm

pinhedz wrote:I saw the Star Trek movie ... I'm not sure what happened. scratch

(spoiling)

Prologue
During early 2263, on the planet of Teenax, Captain James T. Kirk is negotiating a Treaty between the Teenaxi Delegation and the Fibonan Republic. He presents an artifact as a gesture of goodwill, but the Teenaxian leader asks where it comes from. When Kirk says the Fabona acquired it a long time ago, the Teenaxi accuse the Fabona of stealing the artifact. The Teenaxians (who turn out to be little creatures), attack Kirk and he asks to be beamed up. He eventually gets beamed up to the Enterprise, but not before he beams up two Teenaxians with him. Kirk asks Spock to log the artifact in the ship's archive vault.

Act One
"Captain's Log, Stardate 2263.2. Today is our 966th day in deep space - A little under three years into our five year mission. The more time we spend out here, the harder it is to tell where one day ends and the next one begins. It can be a challenge to feel grounded, when even the gravity is artificial. But while we do what we can to make it feel like home, the crew, as always, continues to act admirably despite the rigors of our extended stay here in outer space, the personal sacrifices they made. We continue to search for new lifeforms in order to establish firm diplomatic ties. Our extended time in uncharted territory has stretched the ship's mechanical capacities but fortunately our engineering department, led by Mr. Scott, is more than up to the job. The ship aside, prolonged cohabitation has definitely had effects on the interpersonal dynamics. Some experiences for the better and some for the worse. As for me, things have started to feel a little episodic. The farther out we go, the more I find myself wondering what it is we are trying to accomplish. But if the universe is truly endless, then are we not striving for something forever out of reach? The Enterprise is scheduled for re-provisioning stop at Yorktown, the Federation's newest, most advanced starbase. Perhaps a break from routine will offer up some respite from the mysteries of the unknown."

The stardate is 2263.2. It has been nine hundred and sixty-five days since the Enterprise began its five-year mission. The USS Enterprise arrives at Starbase Yorktown to replenish dwindling supplies while the crew takes shore leave. Struggling to find continued meaning in his duties as captain, and becoming increasingly affected by thoughts of the death of his father, George Kirk, Kirk applies for a promotion to vice admiral. Meanwhile, Spock and Nyota Uhura deal with a time-out in their relationship; Hikaru Sulu reunites with his husband and their young daughter; and Montgomery Scott struggles to keep the ship operational. Spock is also distraught to find that his alternate reality counterpart has recently passed away.

An escape pod is found drifting out of a nearby nebula and its occupant, Kalara, claims her ship is stranded on the planet Altamid, which is located past the dangerous, unexplored nebula that will block communications with Starfleet. Kirk volunteers the Enterprise for the rescue mission, and they get through the nebula with some difficulty, and eventually arrive at Altamid, which Spock finds to be a sparsely-populated class M world. Not long after arrival, the Enterprise comes under attack from a swarm of thousands of small, heavily-armed alien ships. Kirk orders a counterattack, but the Enterprise is overwhelmed by the enemy's sheer volume and strength; the ship's navigational deflector and warp nacelles being destroyed within minutes.

With the Enterprise crippled and helpless, several of the attacking ships latch on, and a boarding party commanded by the swarm's leader, Krall, boards the ship. They make their way to the ship's vault, and on the way there Krall captures and drains the life force from several Enterprise crewmen, leaving them as withered husks. Scott attempts to restore power to the ship's impulse drive by feeding it from the warp core, but Krall orders the swarm to resume its attack. They destroy the neck section of the Enterprise, separating the saucer and engineering hulls, and leaving the saucer powerless due to Scotty's jury-rigging, leaving no way of switching over to the saucer's reserve power without a separation. Spock and Dr. McCoy are in a turbolift car that is ejected into space and subsequently captured by a swarm craft, but they managed to get into the craft and overpower its occupants.

Krall arrives at the ship's vault. However, Kirk gets to the artifact first and gives it to Ensign Syl before ordering the crew to abandon ship. As the separated engineering hull begins to disintegrate, most of the crew escape in escape pods, only for the swarm ships to capture them and drag them back to the planet. Seeing this, Scott fires himself out of the ship in a photon torpedo casing. Kirk and Uhura go to separate the saucer, only for Krall to catch up with them, and Uhura is left behind with Krall in what remains of the neck section as it detaches.

Kirk reaches the bridge, which by now is occupied only by Sulu, Chekov, Kalara and a few other crewmen. However, Chekov reports that the saucer is too badly damaged to keep in orbit, and will crash within minutes. Kirk orders the remaining crew to abandon the ship by Kelvin pods once it enters the atmosphere (though everyone except for himself, Chekov, and Kalara are also captured), and is the last person to leave the Enterprise. Moments later, the saucer crashes into a mountain range, and what remains of it crash-lands in a field, embedding itself some way into the earth.

Act Two
Scott, who has landed elsewhere, is saved from some of the planet's unruly inhabitants by a scavenger named Jaylah and taken to her makeshift home, which he discovers to be the wreckage of USS Franklin, which went missing almost one hundred years ago. Meanwhile, the swarm craft hijacked by Spock and McCoy crash-lands on the planet, badly injuring Spock and forcing McCoy to perform some very hasty surgery in order to save his life.

Krall demands the artifact, threatening to kill Sulu if he does not get it. Syl relents and gives Krall the artifact, which he reveals to be the final component of a bioweapon called the Abornath that he intends to unleash on Starbase Yorktown. Krall then tests the weapon on Syl, dissolving her completely.

Meanwhile, Kirk and Chekov force Kalara to admit she lured the Enterprise into a trap, claiming that Krall promised to return her crew to her in exchange for the Enterprise and her own crew. With their tricorders having insufficient range to locate the rest of the crew, the trio board the crashed saucer in order to use its sensors, and Kirk pretends to go to retrieve the artifact, only for Kalara to turn on him and reveal that her "crew" never existed; she's been in league with Krall from the very start. Fortunately, Kirk had seen through her, and Chekov rescues him as more of Krall's troopers arrive. Outnumbered and trapped, Kirk ignites the fuel tank for the saucer's maneuvering thrusters, which allows them to escape, but also causes the saucer to flip over, killing Kalara and the troopers, and causing the fuel tanks to explode, leaving the mostly-destroyed saucer as all that remains of the USS Enterprise.

After discovering that the alien artifact originated from this planet, Spock reveals to McCoy that he is reconsidering his place in Starfleet after Spock Prime's death. The two are then attacked by the Swarm only to be saved by Scott, who has repaired Franklin's transporter system.

When Kirk, Chekov, and Jaylah arrive, the group formulates a plan to infiltrate Krall's base. Jaylah is initially fearful of this, remembering the death of her family at the hands of Krall and his people, but Scott and Kirk are able to persuade her to help out.

Act Three
As Krall departs for Starbase Yorktown, the quintet rescues the crew before repairing the Franklin and setting a course for Starbase Yorktown. Spock and McCoy beam aboard an attacking drone ship and discover a way to disrupt the drones' cohesion, allowing the Franklin and the Starbase to destroy much of the drone fleet using discordant noise on a very-high frequency (VHF), provided courtesy of Jaylah's collection of "classical" late 20th century music.

Krall still manages to board Starbase Yorktown. He prepares to deploy the bioweapon, leading to a chase through the base, which eventually culminates in the Franklin and the few remaining swarm ships crashing near the starbase's central control complex. As they look for Krall, Uhura learns from the ship's logs that his real name is Balthazar Edison and that he was the captain of the Franklin before its sudden disappearance. After being declared missing in action, Edison became disillusioned with the Federation and went insane from using the planet's alien technology to prolong his life, as had at least three others of his crew, which have now become the humanoids working with Krall. Kirk and Krall/Edison, who has now stolen a command division Starfleet uniform and reverted to a mostly-Human appearance after draining the life force from several more Enterprise crewmembers to heal the injuries he suffered in the crash, confront each other in the life support hub and fight an anti-gravitational battle that ends with Edison and the bioweapon being flushed into space, where Edison is devoured by the bioweapon. Kirk is rescued from the same fate by Spock and McCoy in their hijacked drone.

Epilogue
The crew celebrates Kirk's birthday at Starbase Yorktown where the captain declines a promotion to assume command of the starbase, choosing to remain a starship captain. Spock, inspired by the adventures that Spock Prime had during his life with Starfleet and the implication that Kirk wouldn't be able to go on without him, elects to remain with the crew and resumes his relationship with Uhura. Scotty presents Jaylah with an acceptance letter into Starfleet Academy, courtesy of a few strings pulled by Kirk. As Kirk and Spock look out of a massive window at the construction of a new starship, McCoy questions whether or not they really should go back out into space. A time-lapse sequence then shows the rapid construction and completion of the starship and its deployment into space. Its primary hull proudly displays the name and registry, USS Enterprise-A, and it seems clear that the mission of the Enterprise and her crew will continue.

Log of Doom
   Edison: "Captain's Log, I don't remember the stardate. All distress calls unanswered. Of the crew, only three remain. I'M LEFT BEHIND! The indigenous race abandoned this planet long ago. They left behind sophisticated mining equipment and a drone workforce. They have some sort of technology that prolongs life. I will do whatever it takes for me and my crew...The Fed-Federation do not care about us. You'll probably never see me again. But if you do...Be ready."

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:04 pm

(spoiling)

Soran wrote:Why didn't everyone die when the ship got punctured so much by the swarm?

There were many casualties.  Those who survived initially were aided by emergency bulkheads, emergency life support, artificial gravity buffering etc.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Yakima Canutt wrote:
(spoiling)

Soran wrote:Why didn't everyone die when the ship got punctured so much by the swarm?

There were many casualties.  Those who survived initially were aided by emergency bulkheads, emergency life support, artificial gravity buffering etc.

After the initial onslaught, much of the remaining crew survived because it was the will of Krall ... Krall, who planned a different oblivion for the dutiful.

(spoiling)

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:40 am

pinhedz wrote:Why did Idris Elba turn into a lizard man?

Spoiling

Captain Balthazar Edison (Krall) harnessed the ancient alien technology of Altamid to suck up chi and DNA from hosts to prolong his life ... sucking up the DNA chi made him take on the appearance and attributes of his hosts ... he starts to look more human when he gets a large supply of human DNA food from the Starfleet gang ...

So you can see based on dietary changes, Krall can pick up Chris Pine easily at first because of lizard-man DNA, but later cannot

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:47 am

(spoilage)

pinhedz wrote:Balthazar Edison is said to be the captain of the first warp 4 starship (the Franklin), which would be a ship from well before the founding of the Federation, yet the dedication plaque inside the ship is issued by the Federation. What gives?

I took it that former soldier turned unenthusiastic diplomat-explorer, Edison, was given a cruddy old ship that was re-launched, adding insult to injury for the bad attitude Edison.  (this would explain the 326 registry number, which also is a reference to Leonard Nimoy's birthday)

Last edited by Yakima Canutt on Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:12 pm

spoil

from Memory Alpha:

The Franklin was the first Earth vessel capable of achieving warp 4. Following the Earth-Romulan War and the formation of the United Federation of Planets, the Franklin was placed under the command of Captain Balthazar Edison - a former MACO veteran of the Xindi and Romulan wars. The ship vanished in 2164 while on a mission in the Gagarin Radiation Belt, an incident now taught to future Starfleet officers at Starfleet Academy. Speculation abounded about the ship's disappearance with theories ranging from Romulan capture to a "giant green hand"* being responsible for the loss of the Franklin.

What truly happened was that after experiencing a wormhole displacement, the ship crash-landed on the planet Altamid. As no sign of rescue came, Edison came to believe the Federation deliberately abandoned them. Edison discovered relics left by Altamid's native species – including numerous ships, a drone workforce and life sustaining technology capable of stealing the "life force" from its victims. Edison and his crew abandoned the wreck of the Franklin and turned against the Federation.

*wink nudge geddit LOL

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:17 pm

pinhedz wrote:the USS Franklin - a reference to Ben Franklin, i.e. the WW2 aircraft carrier?

it is a reference to director Justin Lin's father, Frank Lin

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:20 pm

pinhedz wrote:Altamid, why does that sound familiar?

it is an anagram for Matilda, which is the name of Simon Pegg's small daughter

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:15 am

pinhedz wrote:The pinhedz use of the term "escapist" was not derogatory, although his reference to "reality" might have been somewhat derogatory.
So, the pinhed just saw "Suicide Squad," which was pure escapism. What a Face

Murder and mayhem--good clean fun as long as no one gets hurt.

The audience was like Romper Room. Shocked Evidently parents think it's no more violent than Wiley Coyote getting squashed by a steam roller, and that certain formerly bad words aren't bad any more (like saying "That is some weird shit" isn' bad any more).

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:39 pm

i watched first 30 minutes of it on Special China Website, it seemed like a long trailer ... i kept waiting for something resembling a movie to start ... but that Australian dish is something else

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:48 pm

interesting how the DC Extended Universe (DCEU) is darker, artsier, yet still schlockier than the MCU

Wonder Woman (2017)
Justice League (2017)
The Flash (2018)
Aquaman (2018)
Shazam!? (2019)
Untitled Justice League sequel (2019)
Here Comes the Warm Cyborg (2020)
Mean Green Lantern Corps (2020)

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:01 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:i watched first 30 minutes of it on Special China Website, ...
Didn't they spend the first 30 minutes just going leafing through the dossiers of the selected super villains?

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:13 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top