Prince Nelson is dead

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Prince Nelson is dead

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon May 02, 2016 8:26 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:

wot the schittiphuck are these goons clucking about?  "Batdance" wasn't the bloody theme to Batman '89 film (Batdance was based on Adam West Batman '66 theme).  The songs featured prominently in the '89 film are the Joker tunes- Partyman and Trust.  Partyman also got a lavish music video.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon May 02, 2016 5:22 pm

Yakima Canutt wrote:
Yakima Canutt wrote:

wot the schittiphuck are these goons clucking about?  "Batdance" wasn't the bloody theme to Batman '89 film (Batdance was based on Adam West Batman '66 theme).  The songs featured prominently in the '89 film are the Joker tunes- Partyman and Trust.  Partyman also got a lavish music video.

I also find the critic's take on "Around the World in a Day" to be glib bordering on incoherent.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue May 03, 2016 4:30 pm

Sylvia Massy, Producer and Engineer (Early 1990s)

Worked with Prince Nelson on projects including “Diamonds and Pearls”

One of the first things Prince ever asked Sylvia Massy about was the chair selection at her studio.

Massy was working at Larrabee Sound Studios in Los Angeles, where Prince was slated to record for a few days, and had been tasked with doing whatever it took to keep the superstar at the studio for as long as possible. And that day, Prince wanted to know whether the studio had a big chair for him to sit in.

“I said, ‘Well, yes, we do,’” Massy remembered. “But we didn’t have one. We absolutely didn’t have one. I lied.”

She ran out of the lobby and into an antique store. Within 20 minutes, by her estimation, she was back with the chair.

“I think he was so impressed with that, that he stayed in that room, that studio for the next — well, he didn’t leave for several weeks, and then he came back again and again over the next four years,” she said. “And I was on all these sessions, so I think he liked me just for trying hard.”

For years, Prince and Massy sat in the studio, often alone. At first, she was only an assistant, but Prince quickly trusted her to take on more of the load, mixing and recording. “It was just us in the middle of the night in the studio, and he [was] playing every instrument and spinning on his heels and dancing in front of me,” she said. “It was my own personal little show.”

Massy said that despite the intimacy of their work space, the incredibly prolific Prince was also incredibly quiet early on. But one day, she had something of a breakthrough, albeit in an embarrassing way. Massy was jotting in her journal while mixing engineer Keith Cohen worked on a song she didn’t particularly like called “Gett Off,” which was the lead single on 1991’s “Diamonds and Pearls.”

“He [Prince] was going to displace another song on the record with ‘Gett Off’ and I was disappointed,” Massy said. “I thought, ‘This is not nearly as good a song as the other songs we’d been working on.’”

In her journal, she jotted down her frustration: “There’s Prince sitting on his purple throne, and he’s taking a perfectly good song off of this brilliant record and replacing it with this horrible ‘Gett Off’ song.”

Cohen asked Massy for help with something, so she placed the book down and walked over. Suddenly, she heard Prince say, “There’s prince, sitting on his purple throne...“ He had picked up Massy’s journal and started reading it aloud.

Horrified, Massy ran to Prince and grabbed it out of his hand. But instead of being angry, Prince was laughing. “He thought that was the greatest thing,” Massy said. “Everyone just gave him lip service constantly, and no one really was honest with him, so I think he was impressed with that.”

“He liked the fact that I had an opinion and it wasn’t all positive,” she said. “That really broke the ice for us.”

After that, Massy and Prince talked more freely, about music, but about other things, too, like politics. Nevertheless, she could never escape the feeling that Prince was simply tolerating her and the other people he worked with.

“He was better at everything — it was just like the rest of the world was just kind of slowing him down,” she said.

In particular, she remembers Prince once picking up an untuned Fender Telecaster with rusty strings: “He played it in tune by shifting his fingers on the fret board so that the chords were in tune.”

“I’d never seen anything like that before,” she said. “Someone who could play an untuned guitar and make it in tune. It was mind-blowing.”

Like Rogers, Massy vividly remembers the long hours and full-time commitment. “But even with all that torture, at the end of it we’d get gold records in the mail.” She also appreciated how he treated women in the workplace, especially considering how many dates he went on outside of it.

“I never felt mistreated by him, not any more than any of us [man or woman],” she said. “He really did offer women a lot of opportunity.”

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed May 04, 2016 2:31 pm

The Bournemouth Bugler
Europe, Monday
Like Us

Much has been made of Prince's faith after news of his death broke last week, but before he became a devout Jeovah's Witness, the legendary musician was a 12-year-old boy who had just gotten kicked out for having a girl in his bed.

Prince Rogers Nelson was born in Minneapolis in the late fifties, and the parochial Midwestern city had a strange hold on him despite haunting reminders of a troubled upbringing.

His father, John Nelson, the son of sharecroppers and the grandson of slaves, landed in Minnesota from Louisiana after divorcing his first wife. By day, Nelson was a plastic molder at Honeywell Electronics. By night a talented jazz musician who played in the city jazz clubs and blues bars.

At five years old, Prince watched his father’s nightclub show and became mesmerized as the house lights went down, the curtains opened and a spotlight shone on Nelson as he sat down at the piano and began playing. The curtains opened a second time and out came the beautiful chorus girls, scantily clad and seductively dancing around Prince’s father. Prince was enraptured and fantasized about basking in the adoration of the audience and sexy girls. He became obsessed with the power of music.

He played the piano every day when his father was at work and he played other instruments in department stores. That led to ‘a pattern of withdrawal from the world and retreat into music’, author Alex Hahn writes in Possessed, The Rise and Fall of Prince, published by Billboard Books.

The volatile breakup of his parents relationship, the physical abuse by his father, teasing by his classmates because of his size, all accelerated Prince’s escape into his solitary world in the Midwestern heartland, ‘The Land of 10,000 Lakes’ that suggests Protestantism, vanilla flavors and white bread. One would not expect that it would serve as the home and lifelong base of a tormented, messianic, meteoric African-American pop musician – a driven, protean talent who would rocket to fame that at its peak rivaled that of Michael Jackson and Madonna’, writes the author, Alex Hahn.

Prince’s take was: ‘I will always live in Minneapolis. It’s so cold, it keeps the bad people out’.

But the drug dealers found their way in to his hermetic, private universe.

Prince’s mother, Mattie Shaw, was a jazz singer, and a transplant from Louisiana whose voice resembled the great Billie Holiday. She joined Nelson’s group, the Prince Rogers Trio, and the couple fell in love and married in 1957. Nelson was sixteen years her senior.

They named the baby Prince after his father’s stage name and his father’s own aspirations. ‘I wanted him to do everything I wanted to do’, Nelson said in 1991.

Mattie called her husband Prince so she nicknamed her son, ‘Skipper’ and it stuck. The young boy bristled if anyone called him Prince and insisted that he be called ‘Skipper’.

The couple were devoted Seventh Day Adventists and Prince attended Bible study classes. Prince later stated that he got more out of listening to the choir than developing any affinity for organized religion.  But he clearly was influenced by Christianity and the teachings of an omnipotent God who rewarded goodness and punished evil.

In school, he was good at sports and very competitive in Ping-Pong and basketball despite his diminutive size of 5’2” when fully grown. He was bullied by classmates but by age ten, he stepped out of being a shy introvert into a boisterous child – around friends.

Following in the footsteps of his father, also short at 5’4” and immaculately groomed, Prince was ‘dressed sharply but conservatively’ and wanted to ‘surprise, titillate and shock’ – a characteristic he picked up from his half-brother, Alfred Nelson, Mattie’s son from her first marriage. Alfred was musically talented, sang along to James Brown records and wore his hair in a ‘crazed Little Richard style’.

Friends viewed him as some kind of pimp and when he was out late at night, Prince went into his room and tried on Alfred’s wild outfits and listened to his James Brown records. According to Prince’s second cousin, Charles Smith, Alfred ended up in a mental institution in Minneapolis.

The relationship between Shaw and Prince’s father deteriorated into screaming brawls until Nelson moved out and left his piano behind. Witnessing the fighting impacted the boy negatively. He missed his father. Mattie remarried and his new stepfather was an emotionally distant man.

At age twelve, Prince moved in with his father but that came to an abrupt end when Nelson caught his son in bed with a girl. He begged his father to take him back but the answer was an emphatic ‘no’.

‘I sat crying at the phone booth for two hours’, he told Rolling Stone in a 1985 interview. ‘That’s the last time I cried’.

Prince and Nelson’s relationship oscillated between affection and estrangement until Nelson died in 2001. He confessed to Oprah in 1996 that his father had been abusive. He whispers, ‘Don’t abuse children, or else they’ll turn out like me’, in his song Papa.

And then he bounced around between relatives and friends’ homes until he found a safe harbor at the home of his close friend, Andre. Bernadette Anderson took the boy in despite having six of her own children and raised him lovingly through adolescence. It was here that Prince decided he needed private space and moved into the basement with the piano where he could exercise total control of his own universe and not have to share a bedroom with Andre who was messy.

The basement was dark with very little natural light but it comforted him and set the ‘prototype for the cloistered recording studios where he would spend the majority of his waking hours over the next thirty years’. It served as a bedroom and rehearsal space as well as ‘a hedonistic wonderland where he and Anderson engaged in carnal acts with a variety of girlfriends’.

Prince had grown up in the 1960s, the era of ‘make love, not war’, so now with some freedom, he was in hot pursuit of any sexuality and pleasure he could find. When Ms Anderson caught him with a girl in the basement after skipping school, ‘she whooped him right there in front of me’, his friend Pepe Willie said.

In that basement, he listened to the Minneapolis radio station, KUXL that played R&B until sundown while the rest of that white bread city was barren of black music. What had once been a vibrant local jazz and blues scene in Minneapolis in the fifties and sixties had long departed. Chicago was the place to hear black music twenty-four hours a day.

From the mix of sounds on the radio, Prince was most excited by Sly Stone whose voice he imitated, James Brown, Stevie Wonder and even Joni Mitchell, Fleetwood Mac and Santana. So Prince, Andre Anderson and Charles Smith formed a band they called Grand Central and brought in a neighbor Terry Jackson as a percussionist because he had a basement that was less dank that Anderson’s. They would move over to that location when Bernadette Anderson had enough of listening to their music.

Prince’s adherence to writing songs and playing music to the exclusion of drinking and taking breaks of his bandmates, led to the habit of recording all of the musical parts himself. Years later, when he signed a three-album contract with Warner Bros. on June 25, 1977, executives Mo Ostin and Lenny Waronker knew they had a ‘once in-a-generation talent’.

But there was also a darker side to the passion and ambition’ that came out of Prince’s difficulty dealing with the demands of music executives and a recording label.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed May 04, 2016 9:03 pm

hrem, i wondre how much fact-checking The Bugler did ... i mean the place couldn't have been THAT vanilla ... there must have been SOME kind of dusky seventies funk scene there prior to the arrival of Prince Nelson & His Revolution, yes? i guess i assumed as much ... i will head over to the PurpleWiki to see what's what confused

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu May 05, 2016 12:07 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:
hrem, i wondre how much fact-checking The Bugler did ... i mean the place couldn't have been THAT vanilla ... there must have been SOME kind of dusky seventies funk scene there prior to the arrival of Prince Nelson & His Revolution, yes?
Of course there was--Willie and the Bumblebees just for starters.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu May 05, 2016 7:40 am

weerd:

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue May 10, 2016 10:18 am

Prince Rogers plays The Great American Songbook:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue May 10, 2016 11:22 am

That was planned for tomorrow as part of The Prince Nelson rollout. I was going to place it in What Must Be Listened To. Now I have to find another Prince keyboard clip. Thanks.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue May 10, 2016 12:47 pm

Sangeet says Prince Nelson did a song for the Minn Vikings

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed May 11, 2016 5:01 pm

Yakima Canutt wrote:That was planned for tomorrow as part of The Prince Nelson rollout.  I was going to place it in What Must Be Listened To.  Now I have to find another Prince keyboard clip.  Thanks.

I left "Prince & Miles Davis" for you. What more do you want? bounce

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed May 11, 2016 7:04 pm

http://starfishncoffee.blogspot.com/2006/11/you-may-ask-why-starfish-n-coffee.html

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat May 14, 2016 6:57 pm

In December 1993, ads in several national magazines showed an obscured photo of Prince Nelson accompanied by the text, "Eligible bachelor seeks the most beautiful girl in the world to spend the holidays with."

Prince Nelson's favourite meal is spaghetti served with orange juice.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun May 15, 2016 4:05 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:Prince Nelson's favourite meal is spaghetti ...
Paradoxically, Minneapolitans are very fond of something they call "Italian Spaghetti," even though the Italians are mostly in St. Paul. ... even though the Mayor of Saint Paul was Vic Tedesco, which--paradoxically--means "German" in Italian. Shocked Suspect Suspect

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon May 16, 2016 9:25 am

Prince Nelson tells us:

"Until I find the righteous 1 ... computer blue."

what does this mean?

what's the meaning of this?

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon May 16, 2016 9:46 am

I'm giving you your chance to post "Gonna be a Beautiful Night," which references the Wzard of Oz, Take the "A" Train and Edward Lear.

You have 24 hours. bounce

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon May 16, 2016 10:15 am

I'm not sure we can talk about 1987 without understanding 1985 and 1986 first.  

Around the World in a Day wasn’t a masterpiece, nor was it the creative failure that so many projected it to be, and it would go on to sell three million copies. But, truthfully, I think Prince didn’t care how many copies the damn thing sold, as long as he was allowed to do his thang. Around the World in a Day sounded as though Prince was woodshedding like an old jazz musician, testing out musical thoughts and ideas that would go towards the making of his upcoming gems Parade and Sign O’ The Times.

“Prince refused to be who you wanted him to be,” says Leland.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon May 16, 2016 3:12 pm

Yakima Canutt wrote:
weerd:

Did you find "You're no Good, You're Funky, You're Mean and Nasty, too"?

From the bio:

"Willie and the Bumblebees came together in 1970 when Murphy had the radical idea that he could not only assemble an eight- or nine-piece R&B band, but that they could blaze a trail through the West Bank playing original music instead of covers."

"Murphy recruited musicians that he knew from his days at Minneapolis Central High School and artists he had met around the bustling West Bank scene, and before long Willie and the Bumblebees were the toast of the neighborhood—starting out at the Joint (a property that would expand in 1974 to include the Cabooze) and bouncing around to the tiny stage at the Triangle Bar, the People’s Center, and the Firehouse, …"

"Central High School ..."? Shocked Exclamation

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Wed May 18, 2016 7:32 am

Now it comes out--Prince Rogers ingested nothing but veggies, fruits, omega-3s and vitamin B-12:

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Wed May 18, 2016 12:01 pm

indeed, his opioid use was 4 chronic pain management, not hedonism, so His Majesty could continue his busy schedule of purplefying the world 4 a better 2morrow

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri May 20, 2016 5:04 pm

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon May 30, 2016 9:57 am

Source claims to have determined the cause of death:

"First described in 1964, by a psychiatrist, Walter Weintraub, VIP syndrome occurs when doctors treat an "important" patient as "special," making exceptions to standard procedures. The doctors seek to accommodate these patients, foregoing appropriate tests and safety measures because the VIP might find these inconvenient."

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon May 30, 2016 11:25 am

Thirty Mile Zone
MadgeWatch

Madonna and Prince had a heated feud over the one song they ever recorded together, and the showdown involved one of Madonna's divorces ... according to Prince's ex-gf Miss Anna Fantastic.

Anna dropped this bombshelling about Prince Nelson and the Madge's "Love Song" ... which they recorded in the late '80s. Anna says she was there when Madonna propositioned him to shoot a music video for the track.

She claims Madonna tried to play the sympathy card by telling Prince she was in the middle of divorcing Sean Penn ... and the song meant a lot to her. Prince's reply, according to Anna? "What does your divorce have to do with me or this song?"

http://www.tmz.com/photos/2015/12/09/bar-refaeli-sexy-snapshots-instagram-photos/images/2016/04/27/0427-bar-black-bikini-jpg

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Mon May 30, 2016 12:53 pm

Yakima Canutt wrote:"What does your divorce have to do with me or this song?"

He really knows how to hurt people. Neutral

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon May 30, 2016 1:04 pm