Next film I might miss

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Next film I might miss

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:23 pm

http://www.legendary.com/legendary-and-warner-bros-pictures-announce-cinematic-franchise-uniting-godzilla-king-kong-and-other-iconic-giant-monsters/

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Re: Next film I might miss

Post  Yakima Canutt on Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:55 pm

might see it in Year 2021, when it will be a tempting Target bluRay bargain binner

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:55 pm

They say there's new movie about Tom Hanks trading Klaus Fuchs for Francis Gary Powers.

I'm afraid it might be made-up. Also it might be boring.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

http://www.balalaika.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:08 am

there is a rule that every H-wood film about the Cold War has to be a parable about being nice to Dalton Trumbo and frowning on CIA use of LSD.

However, let is be said that watching a Spielberg movie is like riding in the back of an old Town Car. There’s plenty of room, the construction is solid, you know you’re heading somewhere, and even if there are bumps, the ride is always smooth. Indeed, Steven Spielberg is so smooth, so good at what he does, that his best movies have a way of seeming inevitable, when they’re the furthest thing from it.

Case in point, “Bridge of Spies,” which is the product of some thousand (or 10,000) decisions that all happened to be right, from the casting, to the choice of shots, to the direction of the actors, to the costumes and art direction. There is a gift for story at work here, which is more than instinctive but has instinct at its core, that can be described but not fully explained. Every filmmaker takes you by the hand, but only some make you forget all about letting go — and they’re never the ones that grip the tightest.

The story of “Bridge of Spies” can be talked about in a number of ways, as a story about espionage or the Cold War, but at its heart it’s a character portrait. Specifically, it’s the story of a man of principle, who, when confronted by the biggest drama of his life, got bigger instead of smaller. James B. Donovan, a New York lawyer in the 1950s, is played by Tom Hanks, who is the acting equivalent of Spielberg. He doesn’t do anything fancy. He just does the right thing from moment to moment, with his uncanny way of always knowing what the right thing is.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:16 pm

Correction, we did not trade Klaus Fuchs for Gary Powers, we traded Rudolph Abel for Gary Powers. Not the same thing at all.

We traded Konon Molody (alias Gordon Lonsdale) for Greville Wynne.

[Truly Great Moments in Sport ]

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:33 pm

Splitting the difference between Frank Capra and John Le Carré, Steven Spielberg’s Bridge Of Spies mounts an ode to the little guy of American idealism within the realpolitik of the Cold War. Textured with ink-blot shadows, ripples of snow and rain, and pinpricks of bright primary color—a neon sign seeping red into a puddle, a bar humming blue—it’s one of the most handsome movies of Spielberg’s latter-day phase, and possibly the most eloquent. Inspired by the real-life exploits of attorney-turned-international-negotiator James B. Donovan, Bridge Of Spies turns a secret prisoner exchange between the CIA and the KGB into a tense and often disarmingly funny cat-and-mouse game, in which an insurance lawyer with a bad cold finds himself having to outwit both sides in the name of a democratic value.

Co-written by Joel and Ethan Coen, Bridge Of Spies often skews toward satire, lampooning everything from anti-Communist groupthink and nuclear hysteria to the Eastern Bloc’s bizarre mix of pageantry and secrecy, which finds the sneezing, coughing hero having to maneuver his way around fatuous functionaries and inept impostors. (A revealing reference: Looking for a phone booth in West Berlin, Donovan finds himself in front of a theater that’s playing Billy Wilder’s fast-paced Cold War send-up One, Two, Three.) And yet, one would be hard-pressed to classify the movie as a comedy.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:17 pm

CAN WE PLEASE STOP HAVING A NEW BRADLEY FRICKIN COOPER FILM EVERY FRACKIN MONTH?!?

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:22 pm

OH NOW BRADLEY COOPER HAS A PERM AND BAD SUIT, OH NOW BRADLEY COOPER IS A CHEF, OH NOW BRADLEY COOPER IS A SNIPER, OH NOW BRADYEL COPER STOLE SOME GUY'S BOOK, OH NOW BRADELY COOPER IS A RACCOON, OH NOW BRALEY COOPRE IS NEGOTIATING WITH HAWAIIAN NATIVES TO SECURE THE LAUNCH OF A PRIVATE SATELLITE WHILE STILL MAKING TIME FOR ROMANCE ENUFF ENUFF ENUFF

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:34 am

The critics really hate this one--so I probably should see it, but I'm undecided:

The critics are saying that some topics (like beheadings) are inherently unfunny.
But that's true of most things.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:52 am

^
So the most jarring thing was that when the Afghani girls comes on the scene she looks totally Israeli. scratch

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:52 am

Now they say Leo D has made a movie about Hugh Glass.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:40 pm

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:43 pm

they're trying to position that as this holiday season's Anti-StarWars, Leo kills a bear and then cuts open the bear and sleeps inside of it.  But this happned in Star Wars 2 : Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:45 pm

OK, now that it's out, I guess I'll see it.

But I just want to say that according to the best info we have Bridger and Fitzgerald did the best they could for poor Leo, and a lot of that bad stuff they did in the movie they didn't really do--probably not anyway, as far as we know.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:33 pm

"We know Hugh Glass existed and we're pretty sure he got mauled by a grizzly bear," says Professor Jon. But beyond that brief description in Potts' letter, Professor Jon says, "we don't know anything verifiable."

Fitzgerald and Bridger (if it really was Fitzgerald and Bridger) left Glass with nothing to defend himself. "In those days no one would leave tools lying around for Native Americans to use so they had to take his rifle, his knife, his tomahawk, anything he would've needed to survive," explains Bruce.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:55 am

In the latest Ip Man movies, they say Ip Man will take on Mike Tyson.

Hardly a fair fight. Rolling Eyes
The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:41 am

film will also feature Lynn Hung, Karena Ng, Patrick Tam, Danny Chan, Kent Cheng, Louis Cheung, and Bryan Leung (and Donnie Yen, obvi)

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:21 pm

Given the premise this movie is based on, it's hard to imagine how it could NOT be good. What a Face

But some critics seem to be saying that the moviemakers botched the job (maybe those critics are just stick-in-the-muds, idk ).

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:21 pm

I think Sangeet said the zombies therein are of the brain-craving variety, as opposed to the just generally hungry?

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:24 pm

“Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.” This was a million-dollar idea that turned into a multimillion-dollar idea, but most of the pleasure was in the concept. Many thousands of people bought Seth Grahame-Smith’s Jane Austen-zombie mashup, but how many actually read past Page 50?

So the challenge of the movie version was to persuade audiences to maintain interest from beginning to end. “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” almost does that. It has stretches where the energy drops out, but it never completely loses the thread, and the climax brings a reasonable level of excitement. Compared with other Jane Austen movies, it isn’t much, but compared with other zombie apocalypse movies, it’s an intelligent, literate effort.

Director Burr Steers, who also wrote the screen adaptation, understood something very important going in: The best friend he had was Jane Austen. Sending up Austen, making the original world of “Pride and Prejudice” into a joke, would only buy him 10 minutes of laughs. If he wanted more than a skit, he needed a serious rendering of Austen’s world, first as a backdrop to the zombie absurdity (as an ongoing source of humor), and second for its inherent emotional power.

Accordingly, he doesn’t cast “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” as though he were making a Mel Brooks movie, but as though he were making a straight version of Austen. Lily James isn’t a comic Elizabeth Bennet. She’d be a worthy Elizabeth Bennet in any setting. Charles Dance plays her father not as though he were in a comic zombie movie but as though this were “Masterpiece Theatre,” and there’s nothing funny about Douglas Booth as the handsome Mr. Bingley, except that women keep having to rescue him from zombies.

The only actor who suggests a hint of humor is Sam Riley as the brooding Mr. Darcy. Darcy has always had a lot on his mind, but his problems were nothing compared with those of this new Darcy incarnation, who, in addition to nurturing a forlorn affection for Elizabeth must also lead the human British forces against the zombie invasion. He looks utterly miserable, and now that we know why he’s miserable, there is something subtly funny in that.

As the story begins, the zombie situation is well under way. Elizabeth and her four sisters — members of the semi-impoverished gentry — are just as concerned as ever with finding suitable husbands. But in the meantime, they have been trained in the martial arts and have mastered a variety of weapons in case of zombie attack. Whenever they can, they try to get on with normal life, but they can’t seem to go to a ball without at least one zombie showing up.

For those not up on your zombie protocols, they’re dangerous adversaries in that they’re ravenous for human brains, and everyone bitten by one, after a day or two of sweats and fevers, becomes a zombie, too. This zombie latency period is particularly insidious in that it allows them to hide in plain sight and infiltrate the domains of the healthy.

“Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” is one joke stretched a little past the breaking point, but it’s carried off with enough conviction that it’s not entirely dismissible. It has to be counted as a measure of some success that the movie still persuades us to care about Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy’s romantic prospects, in the midst of all the zombie madness. And we actually do worry about them (a little) when they go into battle.

In fact, at one point while watching the film, I had a very embarrassing thought, which I’ll reveal because it’s relevant. As the British Army was struggling to contain the zombie menace to London, and Elizabeth was trying to rescue her younger sister from the zombie sympathizer Mr. Wickham, I wondered, “How did this story ever work without zombies?” It worked just fine, but in the moment, that was hard to imagine.

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:38 pm

Yakima Canutt wrote: ... “How did this story ever work without zombies?” ...
Yes--that's what I was hoping for. What a Face

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:31 pm

I might miss the Kanye-plays-OJ movie.

I'm undecided for now, because I can't rule out the possibility that somebody might offer me a huge sum of money to watch it.

If no one does, I'll skip it.

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:33 pm

i have not heard of that project.  i am intrigued, i am def intrigued. the only acting i have seen Ye do is playing himself on the Fox network

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  pinhedz on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:31 am

Yakima Canutt wrote:
“Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.” This was a million-dollar idea that turned into a multimillion-dollar idea, but most of the pleasure was in the concept. Many thousands of people bought Seth Grahame-Smith’s Jane Austen-zombie mashup, but how many actually read past Page 50?

So the challenge of the movie version was to persuade audiences to maintain interest from beginning to end. “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” almost does that. It has stretches where the energy drops out, but it never completely loses the thread, and the climax brings a reasonable level of excitement. Compared with other Jane Austen movies, it isn’t much, but compared with other zombie apocalypse movies, it’s an intelligent, literate effort.

Director Burr Steers, who also wrote the screen adaptation, understood something very important going in: The best friend he had was Jane Austen. Sending up Austen, making the original world of “Pride and Prejudice” into a joke, would only buy him 10 minutes of laughs. If he wanted more than a skit, he needed a serious rendering of Austen’s world, first as a backdrop to the zombie absurdity (as an ongoing source of humor), and second for its inherent emotional power.

Accordingly, he doesn’t cast “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” as though he were making a Mel Brooks movie, but as though he were making a straight version of Austen. Lily James isn’t a comic Elizabeth Bennet. She’d be a worthy Elizabeth Bennet in any setting. Charles Dance plays her father not as though he were in a comic zombie movie but as though this were “Masterpiece Theatre,” and there’s nothing funny about Douglas Booth as the handsome Mr. Bingley, except that women keep having to rescue him from zombies.

The only actor who suggests a hint of humor is Sam Riley as the brooding Mr. Darcy. Darcy has always had a lot on his mind, but his problems were nothing compared with those of this new Darcy incarnation, who, in addition to nurturing a forlorn affection for Elizabeth must also lead the human British forces against the zombie invasion. He looks utterly miserable, and now that we know why he’s miserable, there is something subtly funny in that.

As the story begins, the zombie situation is well under way. Elizabeth and her four sisters — members of the semi-impoverished gentry — are just as concerned as ever with finding suitable husbands. But in the meantime, they have been trained in the martial arts and have mastered a variety of weapons in case of zombie attack. Whenever they can, they try to get on with normal life, but they can’t seem to go to a ball without at least one zombie showing up.

For those not up on your zombie protocols, they’re dangerous adversaries in that they’re ravenous for human brains, and everyone bitten by one, after a day or two of sweats and fevers, becomes a zombie, too. This zombie latency period is particularly insidious in that it allows them to hide in plain sight and infiltrate the domains of the healthy.

“Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” is one joke stretched a little past the breaking point, but it’s carried off with enough conviction that it’s not entirely dismissible. It has to be counted as a measure of some success that the movie still persuades us to care about Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy’s romantic prospects, in the midst of all the zombie madness. And we actually do worry about them (a little) when they go into battle.

In fact, at one point while watching the film, I had a very embarrassing thought, which I’ll reveal because it’s relevant. As the British Army was struggling to contain the zombie menace to London, and Elizabeth was trying to rescue her younger sister from the zombie sympathizer Mr. Wickham, I wondered, “How did this story ever work without zombies?” It worked just fine, but in the moment, that was hard to imagine.

The Wrongington Post has two reviews--one by the stuffy schoolmarm reviewer, and one in the "Family Filmgoer" section (which tells parents what movies they can let their kids see).

The stuffy review gave the movie 1.5 stars (halfway between "poor" and "OK").

The Family Filmgoer says it's fun, literate and witty and a good time for the whole family. Very Happy

pinhedz
Schrödinger's Hepcat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yakima Canutt on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:35 pm

Ann Hornyday? No, one should not rely on Ann Hornyday.

would recommend a service such as

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/hail-caesar!/critic-reviews

Yakima Canutt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:53 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top